Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Historic Bell Building renovation

The nonprofit Neighborhood Service Organization plans a $50 million mixed-use renovation of the historic Bell Building. It will become its headquarters and a homeless shelter. It won a state brownfield tax credit worth $7.1 million to create six jobs. It will also have 200 apartments.

http://www.deakplanningdesign.com/?page_id=104

MichMatters Guest

Where was the formal announcement for this? All I see is a link to an architectural firms mock-up for a renovation, something architects are often commissioned to do for possible renovations. And, where are you getting the information that it'll include a homeless shelter?

I do really hope to see this renovated. I grew up not too far from here, and this was a major landmark for the neighborhood. The mock-up looks like a quality project, if this is an actual/serious project.

Neighborhood Service Organization [[NSO), a nonprofit human service agency, through its affiliates NSO Bell Housing LDHA Limited Partnership and NSO Bell Commercial LLC, plans to invest approximately $50 million in an innovative mixed-use renovation of the historic Bell Building located on Oakman Blvd. in Detroit. For more than 50 years, NSO has served homeless adults in metro Detroit, low-income families, individuals with mental illnesses and developmental disabilities, as well as individuals with addiction or substance abuse disorders. Part of the Bell Building will be renovated to house NSO’s administrative and service headquarters, and part of the building will provide permanent supportive housing for individuals who have been homeless. Based on the MEDC’s recommendation, the MEGA board today approved a state brownfield tax credit valued at $7.1 million that will support the project and create six jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    In the above article it mentions that the SEIU Member Action Service Center [[a.k.a. ACORN) is going to "invest $3 million [[of TAX PAYER MONEY - my entry) to create a shared organization in Redford Township to provide administrative services for the SEIU and other local labor organizations."

"Administrative services"? Why oh why do decent, honest unions want to jump into bed with crooks like ACORN and their evil spawn, the SEIU. Doesn't Michigan have better things to do with tax money other than make Wade Rathke rich?

MichMatters Guest

Whatever, Kathy. You can take your teabagging comments and keep yelling into the wilderness. And, there goes crawford, again. lol

Thanks for the press releases, guys. This sounds pretty solid. Focus Hope has literally been the only thing keeping that neighborhood from completely and utterly falling apart.
    Last edited by MichMatters; November-17-09 at 11:59 PM.

Oh, i'm so excited about this new development. I hope this doesn't turn out to be another fart in the wind like so many other big project announcements around here. I hear that this planning firm "Deak"is pretty solid, but i've never heard of them. Does anybody know anything about them or any work they have previously done?

this is great news! I was keeping my fingers crossed for the "Yellow Pages Building" for a long time. I dont care about the use, I will just be happy to see it up and running again and bringing some life to an area of town that needs it badly. I remember the building was for sale for $250,000-$500,000 recently. I bet they got a good deal. Bravo to those involved and best of luck... knowing Detroit & the current economic climate, this could fall through without a moments notice. But for what its worth, I am feeling positive about this one.

They better keep the sign up!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    They better keep the sign up!

Stromberg2
    I just logged in to say the same thing, Strom. I hope they keep it. It's a landmark in and of itself.

That building was known as "the Oakman building" or "the Yellow Pages building". When someone says "the Bell Building" they mean the building on Cass downtown. I grew up in a telephone compay family,
    My Father worked there from 1941-1986, and met my mother there, she was a operator, and an operator supervisor.

Where are all the planners at? I know SOMEBODY out there can answer my question!!

MichMatters Guest

Why don't you try simply clicking on the link to the website and navigating it?

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    Why don't you try simply clicking on the link to the website and navigating it?
    I did.. but i want some opinions from you guys! Normally the planning regs on this forum can't shut up...

detroitsgwenivere,

I've never heard of Deak Planning [[site planning, not "real" planning) & Design before. Note that there are only two projects listed on their site, and both as a sub-contractor for Fusco Shafer & Papas Architects. FSP is a well known and respected local architecture firm. So FSP is the group doing the major work on this project and Deak is being brought in to do some specialized things.

PQZ Guest

It won a state brownfield tax credit worth $7.1 million to create six jobs.

Damn that DEGC and the DBRA, going and supporting the rehab of old buildings!

Quote Originally Posted by PQZ View Post
    It won a state brownfield tax credit worth $7.1 million to create six jobs.

Damn that DEGC and the DBRA, going and supporting the rehab of old buildings!
    What do DEGC and DBRA have to do with State Brownfield Tax Credits?

PQZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    What do DEGC and DBRA have to do with State Brownfield Tax Credits?
    Detroit Brownfield Redevelopment Authority is staffed by DEGC, in the same manner that the DDA is. Under the collected brownfields acts, a local brownfield authority is the entity that receives applications and does the heavy lifting on vetting and approving the credits. The local authority does have the discretion to decline an application if the proposed project does not meet the goals of the local community. The tax credit application is generally bundled with an application for a local property tax abatement as well. Again, the local authority has discretion over whether to decline or advance the application based on the appropriateness of the project. There are also a finite amount of credits that can be issued each year, so the lcoa authority has the responsibility of positioning as many quality applications as they can to claim their share of credits.

By time the State see the applciation it has gone through several months of local work, public hearings, Council hearings and a Council approval.

The DBRA is notoriously effective in getting the lion's share of the State's brownfield credits, in some years, the DBRA has secured more than half of the state credits issued issued. Far from being a perfunctory, by-right process like a routine zoning issue, the local Authority has a very big role in ensuring that the applications will be successful.

PQZ... thanks for the info....

56Packman... I too was confused for a few posts about the discussion of the "Bell Building". I was trying to visualize the Michigan & Cass AT&T local HQ, and connected Bell Building and Bell Annex.

Ironically the Oakman Building [[as it is known to former phone company employees) has not had a "Bell" name attached to it since it became part of Ameritech Publishing/Yellow Pages in 1984 [[the first of several subsidiary name changes).
    Last edited by Gistok; November-20-09 at 07:28 PM.

The sign will be coming down.

It's too bad the sign is coming down. It's too bad the project is assocaited with an ACORN companyette. I would love to see the building saved.

MichMatters Guest

Not sure where you or Kathy get away with thinking ACORN [[an NGO) is involved in this redevelopment, or why Kathy would equate SEIU [[a labor union) investing in any redevelopment, for that matter, as using public funds, or try to paint this labor union and NGO as the same organization [[if that was even possible), or even the same type of legal entity. Actually, I understand why, and it's really just sad, silly, and down-right pitiful.

This redevelopment -- if you'd taken the time to click on any of the links, or even bothered to read the very first post of the thread -- is being undertaken by the Neighborhood Service Organization [[NSO), a local, private non-profit human service agency:

City of Detroit – NSO Bell Housing LDHA – Neighborhood Service Organization [[NSO), a nonprofit human service agency, through its affiliates NSO Bell Housing LDHA Limited Partnership and NSO Bell Commercial LLC, plans to invest approximately $50 million in an innovative mixed-use renovation of the historic Bell Building located on Oakman Blvd. in Detroit. For more than 50 years, NSO has served homeless adults in metro Detroit, low-income families, individuals with mental illnesses and developmental disabilities, as well as individuals with addiction or substance abuse disorders. Part of the Bell Building will be renovated to house NSO’s administrative and service headquarters, and part of the building will provide permanent supportive housing for individuals who have been homeless. Based on the MEDC’s recommendation, the MEGA board today approved a state brownfield tax credit valued at $7.1 million that will support the project and create six jobs.
    Last edited by MichMatters; November-21-09 at 03:14 AM.

I guess I mis-read the comments. I thought you were saying it was associated with ACORN and you were ok with ACORN. If it is not associated with ACORN, then Hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by AroundTown View Post
    The sign will be coming down.
    Is that your guess or do you know for a fact, AT?

I got the same question, BofD.

Stromberg2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast