Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit 1942

Default Detroit 1942

These photos aren't quite as stunning as the ones Ray has been posting [[which I'm also using as my desktop) but I thought they were worth posting. My apologies if they've been posted before, or if you're sick of 1942 photos, or color photos, or street scenes. Other than that, I hope someone enjoys them.
    Attachment 3901
    Looking South from the Maccabee Building/Arthur Siegel/FSA Photo
    Attachment 3902
    Looking N. on Woodward? Wardell Hotel middle right/Arthur Siegel/FSA Photo
    Attachment 3903
    2nd. Ave. 5PM traffic/Arthur Siegel/FSA Photo
    Attachment 3904
    Detroit Greyhound Bus Station/John Vachon/FSA Photo
    Last edited by old guy; August-09-10 at 02:59 PM.

Attachment 3906
    People waiting for bus, Detroit 1942/FSA Photo

Nice selection, Old guy. Got me to thinking about 1942. I started the first grade at William Ford School in Dearborn. Had gone to kindergarten at Parker School at Plymouth and Meyers the previous year, but pop moved us to Dearborn in the summer of '42. My brother joined the army that year and survived his adventures in Europe. Uncle Harold also joined up and spent the war in Brazil as a cryptographer [[sweet assignment!). Pop [[a WW I vet) worked as a salesman at Monkey Wards at Michigan and Schaefer in Dearborn, would spend the next 20 years there until his death at age 61.

Aunt Gretel [[Harold's wife) was a commercial artist at Hudson's, and I remember how she stayed home during the riot of '43 and the terrible tension that went with that blot on Detroit's history. Little did I know then how totally involved I would be in one 24 years later.

Despite the problems, they were good times on the home front. That could even be me on the left side of the line waiting for the bus for all I know.

Anyone up for the midtown vortex discussion again? Although they've posted previously, it's always nice to see to them again. I never get tired of these.

Great pictures Old guy! Look how clean the bus station was, must have been fairly new at that time. Last time I saw it, it was a mess. And that was probably in the 70s when I went there to pick someone up.

Just a few more from 42.
    Attachment 3926
    Homes in the Polish District/FSA
    Attachment 3927
    Detroit Stamp & Coin/FSA
    Attachment 3928
    Kids at ball game, Briggs Stadium 42/FSA
    Attachment 3929
    Detroit Beer Hall 41?/FSA
    Attachment 3930
    Detroit 42/FSA

Hey, those "kids at a ball game" are Detroit Times carriers, and there's me 'n Jjaba! [[Jjaba is on the right, the only kid with a necktie......)

That was before he took his girl friend and kissed her on the strikes, while she......well, never mind.

I think it is safe to say the last picture is from 1944?

The Detroit 42 can't be from 1942. The headlines says ALLIES LAND IN FRANCE. That was 1944.

Reasonably sure that was August 18th, 1942. Raid on Dieppe.

great pictures oldguy. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Anyone up for the midtown vortex discussion again? Although they've posted previously, it's always nice to see to them again. I never get tired of these.
    That's in the very first picture, right? I can make out the top of the vortex but not much else. It would be interesting to compare the two photos. Where's that vortex thread?!

Where's that vortex thread?!
    You can find the "Midtown Vortex?" thread here.

Thanks, Mike and thanks, Hans57 for:

Attachment 3933
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-11-10 at 07:25 PM.

You can see the vortex pretty clearly in the Macabees view, but it's smaller:

Original photo:
    Name:  Looking-S.-from-Macabee.jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  39.3 KB

Enhanced:
    Attachment 3943

When I looked at a wider view of the photo of the Detroit Polish District I saw this street sign, but can't quite make out the name of the street. The street marked by the sign only goes to the right and ends at this block.
    Attachment 3944

Halleck? [[e. of 12500 Dequindre, e. & w. of 12500 Jos. Campau)

http://tinyurl.com/ybdn9qp

My initial guess would be it's a view of Klinger Street looking uptown from just south of the intersection with Halleck. Any other takers? I have a handy Arrow Street Guide here.

I believe that's Halleck St., which runs a block or two north of the northern Hamtramck border at Carpenter. So it certainly accords with the description. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that it's the corner of Halleck and Klinger, a couple blocks west of Conant, where Halleck takes a big jog and could appear in a picture to dead end.

Like minds...

Nice, Al! That would make it 12500-12800 Klinger!

Unfortunately, Google Street View hasn't driven down that area yet.

Nice picture of Michigan Stamp and Coin company. My Dad had a stamp collection and traded with this company extensively. It's nice to put a picture on the name and address. Thanks Old Guy.
    Last edited by jbd441; November-19-09 at 12:58 PM. Reason: wrong company name

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Unfortunately, Google Street View hasn't driven down that area yet.
    Bing has some pretty good "bird's eye" maps that show the street better.

http://www.bing.com/maps

Given that most of the houses are still intact here, I think we may be able to figure it out. If you notice, in the picture there is a house with a higher peaked roof maybe 6 lots into the block. I am trying to locate such a house on Bing maps, but without knowing which direction the picture faces, it's pretty difficult. There is such a house about 5 houses in on Klinger, but it is difficult to tell if it is the same house. Perhaps one of our map experts will be able to figure it out.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast