Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default McCain has this right about Chrysler

This is where I agree with McCain about the future of Chrysler, he says it will not survive:

"The unions didn't want to have their very generous contracts renegotiated so we put $80 billion into both General Motors and Chrysler, and anybody believes that Chrysler is going to survive, I'd like to meet them,"

"No, I don't think we ever should have bailed out Chrysler and General Motors," he said. "We should have let them go into bankruptcy, emerge and become viable corporations again."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ler-to-survive

During the presidential campaign in Michigan, McCain also said that the auto jobs were going away and not coming back. Despite being correct, he was villified by the press and the Dems. Obama said essentially the same thing earlier this year, before GM and Chrysler filed, with nary a peep from the press or others.

I also suspect that Chrysler will fail as a separate corporate entity, although it may survive as just a division within Fiat.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    During the presidential campaign in Michigan, McCain also said that the auto jobs were going away and not coming back. Despite being correct, he was villified by the press and the Dems. Obama said essentially the same thing earlier this year, before GM and Chrysler filed, with nary a peep from the press or others.

I also suspect that Chrysler will fail as a separate corporate entity, although it may survive as just a division within Fiat.
    I don't recall McCain being "vilified by the press" when he said that. Some UAW people and opportunistic politicians attacked him, but most of the respectable media in Detroit were surprised that he had the guts to say what we all knew was true, in the middle of an ugly campaign, and agreed he was right. It didn't help his chances with voters, but that's because voters want candidates to promise sunshine and lollipops.

What all these anti-union types seem to forget is that these union folk have given up BILLIONS in concessions already. then they see some schmuck come in and make bad decisions about product, etc, and still get these multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses. On top of that, they gave up even more to get the government loans.

Yup, it's a shame that a company can run smoothly, be profitable for 95% of it's existance, provide good paying, secure jobs with benefits for it's employees who in turn create desireable products. Then the last 11 years the company is severly mis managed and sold off with the proceeds benifitting only a few people and now all McCain can come up with is more tired and worn out union bashing. Sure send all the fucking jobs out of the country and watch the profits roll in from India and China consumers who will leap over thier own asian brands to buy Chryslers. Heard it all before, Wagoner believed that nonsense and was finally fired. Thank God!

Stosh Guest

I'll say this much. Screw John McCain, the largest [[[[[[[[[ on the planet. No matter how bad Obama screws it up, whatever he does couldn't equal the screwing Johnny would have given America.
    Last edited by Stosh; November-17-09 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Language?

dfunkycity Guest

Wow, I just see the foaming of the mouth as I read that.

Jeez!

Don't sugar-coat it, Stosh...tell us how you really feel.

ccbatson Guest

Chrysler is already swallowed by Fiat...failure for Chrysler means failure for Fiat....less likely [[not impossible).

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elganned View Post
    Don't sugar-coat it, Stosh...tell us how you really feel.
    I already said it. So there. No foam either...

Just by looking at his choices in the Palin fiasco is a telling barometer on his judgement.

And I will tone down the language. But the sentiment is still the same.
    Last edited by Stosh; November-17-09 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I already said it. So there. No foam either...

Just by looking at his choices in the Palin fiasco is a telling barometer on his judgement.

And I will tone down the language. But the sentiment is still the same.
    You're A-Okay in my book!
    And I agree with CC that with Fiat running the show, their odds of surviving are much better. Not guaranteed but it looks better than 6mos ago!

Let's raise our glass to McCain for helping rid us, of that damn dirty middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    What all these anti-union types seem to forget is that these union folk have given up BILLIONS in concessions already. then they see some schmuck come in and make bad decisions about product, etc, and still get these multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses. On top of that, they gave up even more to get the government loans.

What the Conservative Taliban forget to mention is without union concessions, both GM and Chrysler would have folded and our enemies would have gained one more step upon America.

ccbatson Guest

Concessions? Crumbs, when they shouldn't have had the influence in the first place.

Default McCain has it wrong. But what's new?

Looks like a US Rep up there isn't letting McCain get away with his bullshit.

From Allpar
    http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...s-chrysler-aid

Michigan Congressman defends Chrysler aid

November 18th, 2009 by Bill Cawthon
    Gary Peters, Democratic Congressman from Bloomfield Township, has taken issue with remarks made by former Republican Presidential candidate John MacCain. While serving as grand marshal at a NASCAR event in Arizona, McCain said, “Anybody believes that Chrysler is going to survive, I’d like to meet them.”

Peters accepted the challenge in a letter, saying he “will meet with you at your convenience to discuss the future of Chrysler and the contribution they make to our nation’s economy.” Peters added, “Better yet, I’d be more than happy to bring you to my district to meet with thousands of Americans who are working hard every day to design new and exciting vehicles and ensure the continued future of the American automobile industry. Hopefully then you might choose to be a partner in the continued success of an industry critically important to our country.”

Peters also contested McCain’s claim the United Auto Workers refused to renegotiate existing contracts. In fact, the UAW agreed to a number of contract changes, including an agreement to allow new workers to be hired at half the existing contract rate, to help Chrysler and GM before they filed for bankruptcy.

McCain declined to back down, other than to clarify his remarks, changing “Anyone” to “Any objective observer.” In a reply to Peters’ letter, McCain said, “As I am sure you know, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Michigan over the years, and have seen firsthand the great work achieved by the citizens of Michigan. Their perseverance merits praise.”

McCain’s remarks seem to be part of a GOP effort to discredit the efforts of Chrysler and General Motors to recover and become profitable again. Michael Steele, chairman of the Republican National Committee, seized upon GM’s announcement of a third-quarter loss, saying this was “further proof that President Obama’s economic experiments are wrong for America.”

Steele’s comments ignore the fact that the bailouts were started under President George W. Bush after he and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson engineered an almost-no-strings-attached, $750 billion bailout of Paulson’s cronies on Wall Street. Furthermore, at the beginning of the third quarter, General Motors was in bankruptcy. In addition, GM’s sales in the most recent reported month were actually ahead of October 2008, marking the General’s first month-over-month improvement in almost two years.
    Last edited by MoparDan; November-20-09 at 08:28 PM. Reason: 'cause I felt like it

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Let's raise our glass to McCain for helping rid us, of that damn dirty middle class.
    He did a fine job for the Savings & Loans in the eighties, too. Then, named Phil Gramm, whose Financial Services Reform Act of 1999 deregulated the financial institutions and led to the collapse as his economic advisor [[yes, the same guy who told us there was no recession, just too many whiners). Then, gave that wonderful "the fundamentals of the economy are strong" speech days after two giant financial institutions melted.

I do not overlook his military service and PW status, and respect him for it. At least he walked the walk, unlike so many other politicians.

ccbatson Guest

Put it in perspective...McCain was the liberal's favorite choice for nominee because he is weak and moderate [[redundant that...weak and moderate).

Now, after the election is over, he is even more irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Put it in perspective...McCain was the liberal's favorite choice for nominee because he is weak and moderate [[redundant that...weak and moderate).

Now, after the election is over, he is even more irrelevant.
    Being an ideologue is weak because it prevents you from making practical decisions & leads to disastrous results. The Third Reich & Soviet Union are prime examples.
    I'll agree with you about McCain; throw in Palin's book tour & he's becoming desperate for attention.
    Last edited by MoparDan; November-21-09 at 04:18 PM.

Put it in perspective...McCain was the liberal's favorite choice for nominee because he is weak and moderate

Why do conservatives hate moderates and liberals so much? You people sure are angry.

ccbatson Guest

Because they are plotting to take away our liberty?

Stosh Guest

Spoken like a true believer. Whoo. And you were all for the repression of the Bush years...

5,390 posts, 5,391 posts, 5,392 posts.......
    All, the same message. Catechism of the far right wing.
    Irritating to some, but isn't that the real purpose of this plethora of posts?

There is always the "ignore" function, but that would defeat the purpose of a discussion board.
    Sigh.... I guess for amusement we can take bets on how long it takes to reach the 10,000 level!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    5,390 posts, 5,391 posts, 5,392 posts.......
    All, the same message. Catechism of the far right wing.
    Irritating to some, but isn't that the real purpose of this plethora of posts?

There is always the "ignore" function, but that would defeat the purpose of a discussion board.
    Sigh.... I guess for amusement we can take bets on how long it takes to reach the 10,000 level!
    Either that, or his implosion from the implausibility of his premises.

Sucked into a Randian black hole of his own creation

Yet you continualy offer no proof other than debunked rhetoric from fringe right wing lunatics...very sad.

ccbatson Guest

No proof...tax hikes and growing government spending [[devaluing property/dollars) are seizures of private property under threat of force...PROOF POSITIVE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast