Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just another kid from Arkansas -- or not?

What do you think of what this boy did? What do you think of why he did it?

http://www.arktimes.com/articles/art...0-3823aa79c021

ccbatson Guest

How is this not "justice for all"? Marriage [[same sex) is justice?

Yes, allowing same-sex marriage is justice and denying it is injustice.
    We've already had this discussion, Cc. I can go over it again for you if you want.

That's a brave little guy. Good luck to him.

Kick him and his family's ass out of the country. People are just spoiled here, period. Bravery? Fucking uneducated and disrespectful and nothing else. Disrespectful of the people that gave their lives to build a free country where jerks like this could live. And that wasn't their intent. His Parents are probably hoping to sue the state and snag a few mil. Where is the ACLU? man they are slipping.

I'd bet a few months on the Ho Chi Min, would get him reciting his pledge. Gladly

I guarantee when that kid when that kid grows up, he will be back in the news. Nice attitude Mom and Dad, they must be some real winners.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; November-17-09 at 10:23 AM.

Sstashmoo, the brave men and women who gave their lives did so precisely so that this kid could refuse to say the pledge of allegiance without fear of reprisal. That's what free speech means. You don't have to like him, or agree with him, but you have to respect his right to express his opinion.

The Bill of Rights: Love it or leave it.

Jesus, Sstashmoo. What did that 10-year-old kid ever do to you?

"Hate! Let me feel your hate!"

These people need a standard. A few months on the good ol' Ho chi min would do him and his family wonders.

Elganned, do you really believe a soldier laying in a trench with bullets whizzing above his head believed he was fighting for someone to disrespect his country? Nonsense. This is just more of the "if it doesn't say that, it must mean this" rationale. Corruption personified.

The kid doesn't know it, but now that his name and opinion is public, he has a tough future ahead for himself. Think anyone will hire him?

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Elganned, do you really believe a soldier laying in a trench with bullets whizzing above his head believed he was fighting for someone to disrespect his country? Nonsense. This is just more of the "if it doesn't say that, it must mean this" rationale. Corruption personified.
    Possibly one of those most asinine arguments to date. You are totally right though, I am sure our soldiers fill out forms before they go into a combat zone listing which freedoms and liberties they are willing to fight and die for, and a list of those that they don't want to touch.

Apparently most soldiers don't fight for freedom of speech or freedom of expressions.

I asked a simple question and you skirted it in your normal sarcastic manner. Do you think that is what they believe they are fighting for? So that some hillrats that think they are smarter than everyone else can disrespect their flag and country?

His mother said "Taking away gay rights", rights they never had is not taking them away genius.

I asked a simple question and you skirted it in your normal sarcastic manner. Do you think that is what they believe they are fighting for? So that some hillrats that think they are smarter than everyone else can disrespect their flag and country?

His mother said "Taking away gay rights", rights they never had is not taking them away genius.
    Yeah actually, I do believe that is what they think they are fighting for. They are fighting for the rights of people back home who don't always think about who is fighting for them. You cannot pick and choose which liberties you defend sir. Here's another news flash, most of the soldiers I know, don't give a shit. Shocking, but that's how they feel. It's called following orders.

Quote: "most of the soldiers I know,"

Anecdotal and meaningless.

Quote: "most of the soldiers I know,"

Anecdotal and meaningless.
    Much like every argument you have made here.

Quote: "Much like every argument you have made here."

Your opinion and we all know what those are worth.

Quote: "Much like every argument you have made here."

Your opinion and we all know what those are worth.
    Considering you are attacking a young child for standing up [[in this case sitting down) for what he believes in, I think that speaks highly of your character and judgement. In fact I would go as far to say that the only reason this is news at all is because it is from a conservative state.

"Ve vill make you love zis country! Ze beatings vill continue until you are filled vith love!!"

Sstashmoo, what soldiers think they are fighting for is immaterial to this argument. The fact is that that is what they fought for, whether they thought so or not. They take an oath to defend the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights is part of that Constitution, and freedom of speech is one of those rights.

Like I said, you don't have to like him or agree with him, but he has a right to his opinion.

Fucking uneducated and disrespectful and nothing else.
    From the story:
    For one thing, he's smart. Scary smart. A student in the West Fork School District in Washington County, he skipped a grade this year, going directly from the third to the fifth. When his family goes for a drive, discussions are much more apt to be about Teddy Roosevelt and terraforming Mars than they are about Spongebob Squarepants and what's playing on Radio Disney.

Doesn't sound "fucking uneducated" to me.

Also from the story:
    In recent years, Laura Phillips said, they've been trying to be a straight ally to the gay community, going to the pride parades and standing up for the rights of their gay and lesbian neighbors. ...“I really don't feel that there's currently liberty and justice for all.”

He has a very specific point to make, and he's doing so in a quiet, nonviolent manner. What's the problem?

Disrespectful of the people that gave their lives to build a free country where jerks like this could live.
    Of course, nobody in the military is gay or believes in gay rights. They've made it clear that the "free country" they gave their lives to build is only for heteros.

And that wasn't their intent. His Parents are probably hoping to sue the state and snag a few mil.
    Wouldn't you think they would've done that by now?

Where is the ACLU? man they are slipping.
    The ACLU has successfully backed the rights of students to refuse to take the pledge on First Amendment grounds, so they're on the kid's side:
    http://www.aclu.org/religion-belief/...aclu-challenge

I'd bet a few months on the Ho Chi Min, would get him reciting his pledge. Gladly
    You'd support violence against a 10-year-old kid to force him to recite a vow he doesn't believe in? Nice American values there.

I guarantee when that kid when that kid grows up, he will be back in the news.
    Probably when you shoot him for being on your lawn.

Quote: "Considering you are attacking a young child for standing up [[in this case sitting down) for what he believes in,"

No facts, go after the ethics. I'm attacking the notion that someone could live in one of the greatest countries on the planet and be inconsiderate and ungrateful about it. That's what I'm attacking.

Oh well, the day is coming when how we live now will be considered the good old days. Give people enough rope and they'll hang themselves every time.

ccbatson Guest

He should be allowed to abstain...although, being a minor, the parents should be fully in the loop.

I'm attacking the notion that someone could live in one of the greatest countries on the planet and be inconsiderate and ungrateful about it.
    Where does it say he's ungrateful? He's protesting one issue, quietly and nonviolently.
    You can be grateful to live in a prosperous, free country while at the same time taking issue with certain laws that you consider unjust and working to change them. Some people see that as their patriotic duty.

I've often wondered what would have happened to those in Germany during World War II who refused to display the Hitlergruß.

I'm starting to get the idea here though.

Godwin's law atcha!

Did you just Godwin this thread? Isn't it a little early?

You can be grateful to live in a prosperous, free country while at the same time taking issue with certain laws that you consider unjust and working to change them.

He has issues with certain laws? I really mean they, this kid is just telegraphing his parents anti American sentiment. Some things he doesn't understand or agree with? Is that any reason to make a mockery of our flag and pledge? No it isn't.

great job [[diehard)....

just a thought, when asking a young vet in my class the other day about who did he put his life on the line for, his answer was very simple and to the point; " all of us". Not one group over, another or one political party ...ALL of America...people who agree with him and those who do not...SO his simple answer should be extended to all...I respect a person who puts his or her life on the line for "All of US"...it sure beats the hell of running into a burning building and saving only those who look like you...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast