Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New construction @Piquette&Brush

Does anyone know what's being put in that area?
    It's the site of the old Piquette Meat Market. It looks like constuction is just about completed. At first I thought it was going to be condos/lofts then I thought maybe office/retail. Now,looking at the finished building,I think it might be a mix of residential/retail/office space. Or it could be a strip mall.
    Anyone know anything about the new construction?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Does anyone know what's being put in that area?
    It's the site of the old Piquette Meat Market. It looks like constuction is just about completed. At first I thought it was going to be condos/lofts then I thought maybe office/retail. Now,looking at the finished building,I think it might be a mix of residential/retail/office space. Or it could be a strip mall.
    Anyone know anything about the new construction?
    Thanks!
    In July 2009, the Detroit News reported that a housing complex for homeless veterans would be built on the site. The state is to select 150 homeless veterans to live in Piquette Square, a development that is to have a $21 million price tag. The facility will be owned by Southwest Solutions. At 100,000 square feet, it is to be the largest of its kind in the state and one of only two such developments in Michigan, the News reported.

I didn't realize that the factory had been completely destroyed by that fire. That sucks...

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I didn't realize that the factory had been completely destroyed by that fire. That sucks...
    It was just a small fire.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    In July 2009, the Detroit News reported that a housing complex for homeless veterans would be built on the site. The state is to select 150 homeless veterans to live in Piquette Square, a development that is to have a $21 million price tag. The facility will be owned by Southwest Solutions. At 100,000 square feet, it is to be the largest of its kind in the state and one of only two such developments in Michigan, the News reported.
    Thank you!
    Thank you too Mike.

http://www.swsol.org/piquettesquare.php It looks like it will be a great building once finished....

YAY! At last home for the poor homeless veterans. They folks serve our nation for you and me. It's time for this nation to give back.

I drive by the new building a couple times a week. It is a beautiful building. Great "historical-period-like" details. Don't ask me to define that ... it looks "historical" without going overboard, and looks warm, inviting. Tasteful architecture.

I drove by today, I really like it! It's always nice to see something new go up in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    I drove by today, I really like it! It's always nice to see something new go up in Detroit.

That IS nice. Yeah, in a perfect world they could have incorporated the Studebaker plant, but given the circumstances...

Great use of the site and an even better cause.

That's really a nice building. I would prefer something green there, like trees and such but there's not much wrong with that building.

MichMatters Guest

Folks are finally starting to do some halfway decent infill and refill in the city. You'd never guess the specific usage of this building.

Love the gun portals along the one side.

I think this is an excellent idea for the homeless veterans. I hope that there is an office there where spiritual counselors, and psychiratrists could occupy to help councel the veterans also

Not amoment too soon. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will end some time..... And let's hope this building will not be unused like the GAR in future. The GAR in it's heyday in a sense has the same purpose as this building/

they changed the URL here is the new link to the project... http://www.swsol.org/piquette_square.php

You missed the front of the building.

Attachment 4951

I also have a photo of that corner post fire, pre redevelopment.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/201...te-square.html

I'm happy to see all that transparency at ground level. Overall this project came out pretty decent.

$21,000,000 for 150 vets works out to $140,000 per apartment in a city where complete homes go for $25,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    $21,000,000 for 150 vets works out to $140,000 per apartment in a city where complete homes go for $25,000.

That maths is a bit crooked,seeing there's also a large portion of office space below.

The new four-story brick building, at 285 Piquette, will consist of 150 affordable one-bedroom units, as well 11,000 square feet of common area and commercial space.
    Well, I do not know how much 11000 square feet will set you back but subtract that off the total ammount of money, devide by 150 and you'll see that the total cost per apartment is significantly lower than what you calculated.

nice detail on the corner.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-22-10 at 10:20 PM.

MichMatters Guest

Looks far better than the rendering, which is rare.