Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Silverdome Sold for $583,000....

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...for-Silverdome

Wonder what they will do with it? Any ideas?

Blow that schitt up.

I can see the headlines now: You can buy a stadium in suburban Detroit for what it costs to buy a couple of parking spots in Manhattan.

I am surprised it is so low... You cannot buy 127 acres up north for that cheap let alone a 80000 seat stadium to boot...

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    I am surprised it is so low... You cannot buy 127 acres up north for that cheap let alone a 80000 seat stadium to boot...
    The cost of having to implode the stadium was probably a factor in the bid.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    The cost of having to implode the stadium was probably a factor in the bid.
    Possibly but it is said they are trying to lure a pro soccer team to the site... I doubt they would start from scratch for that....

God, I hope they don't bring pro soccer.

Does anyone in Metro Detroit actually care about soccer?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    Possibly but it is said they are trying to lure a pro soccer team to the site... I doubt they would start from scratch for that....
    That's a lot of seats considering the 4 people who would show up.

CFL Expansion team?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

The Detroit Rockers were a miserable failure and folded in 2001 after more than 10 years. Then again, soccer is more popular now, and Detroit's Latino population is growing [[not that all Latinos love soccer, but you can't deny that it's an incredibly popular sport in Latin America). Only questions would be:
    1) The Silverdome has what? 80,000 seats? That's too big. Is it too big to run a soccer team out of it at 1/4 capacity/
    2) Will people be willing to drive to Pontiac for soccer? Especially when they wouldn't drive to Detroit for it when there was a team here - and wouldn't drive to Auburn Hills to watch them when the team was located there?

dfunkycity Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I can see the headlines now: You can buy a stadium in suburban Detroit for what it costs to buy a couple of parking spots in Manhattan.
    Well not exactly a couple but a few.

I just found the news obscene. I wonder if I could get the owners in NYC to sell e Madison Square Garden for $750,000?

I figured if I showed them this story and what I am offering them that they would realize I was offering them a great deal.

The price is a steal even factoring in that land has virtually no value today and it costs 1.5 million a year in upkeep. If they get the soccer it is a winning proposition hands down. Not to mention they will probably get the monster truck and supercrosses back. The only reason why they left in the first place for Ford Field is Pontiac did not want to run it and did not want to put on the shows. Even with crappy accoustics they could probably get a few concerts a year. Put it into prospective, if they get 60,000 people for the monster trucks which they used to, figure 12-15 thousand cars. Call it $5 for parking for each car [[which we know it will cost more to park there) comes out to $60,000-$75000 alone for one night! Figure in everything else like $8 beer and $5 sodas and you have a potential goldmine at that price. If soccer does come they win, period. You dont have to like soccer, the team does not have to win [[Lions prove that every week and turn a profit), and it does not even have to last at that price. Reopening the movie theater and weekend flee markets in the summer outdoors and indoor flea markets on off weekends in the winter would just help the place. They did not buy it to implode. That just makes no sense. There are empty offices, industrial sites, and vacant land all over Michigan and the country if that was there thinking. Plus we do not know what canadian company bought it yet. Probably a company that could afford too!

Quote Originally Posted by dfunkycity View Post
    Well not exactly a couple but a few.

I just found the news obscene. I wonder if I could get the owners in NYC to sell e Madison Square Garden for $750,000?

I figured if I showed them this story and what I am offering them that they would realize I was offering them a great deal.
    Depends on what 'hood you're trying to park. You may be able to purchase a three or four spaces uptown for ~$600K, but downtown... In most places it will only get you a couple:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/us/12parking.html

For that price, I'm surprised Illitch didn't buy it and make Pontiac guarantee a couple hundred thou a year in security and maintenance fees.

Demolish!!!!!

If anything gets built it will be a strip plaza with big box stores, a definate improvement from that hulk. Suburban stadiums are dead. Next up: The Place. I can not wait to see that meet the wrecking ball!

Demolish!!!!!

If anything gets built it will be a strip plaza with big box stores, a definate improvement from that hulk. Suburban stadiums are dead. Next up: The Palace of Auburn Hills. I can not wait to see that meet the wrecking ball!

Crap! I missed my chance for a new rec room!

couldnt scrap all the metal for a lot more then $500,000.

Detroit Express were a very good Pro soccer team in the late 70's that played at the Silverdome, Trevor Francis was the big star.

Depends on what 'hood you're trying to park. You may be able to purchase a three or four spaces uptown for ~$600K, but downtown... In most places it will only get you a couple:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/us/12parking.html
    Notice that article is from 2007. I wonder if there are any parking space foreclosures in NYC.

They're trying to get a team in the re-formed version of the USL in a couple years.

I wonder if I could get the owners in NYC to sell e Madison Square Garden for $750,000?
    probably not because people LIKE the MSG. there would be more demand...

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

I LOVE soccer [[it's BY FAR the biggest sport on earth, you know), and tons of people in the area follow it, but U.S. pro soccer isn't really the first priority for most of us folks.

Most people are into World Cup, Champions League, EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, etc.

MLS may one day be a high priority. I would not be surprised if it surpassed the NHL in a couple years [[not in metro Detroit, of course, but nationally, yes).

Heck, MLS is probably already bigger than the NHL in California, Texas and the Southwest.
    Last edited by crawford; November-16-09 at 06:30 PM.

crawford Guest

I know a relatively new condo near Central Park where spaces cost $325,000 a pop, so you could not even buy two parking spaces for the price of the Silverdome.

Of course, the Silverdome is a drag on the price. If the land were vacant, I imagine it would sell for somewhat more [[though it's in Pontiac and there's a gigantic glut of commercial space along I-75, so who knows).

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    probably not because people LIKE the MSG. there would be more demand...
    You probably couldn't buy the MSG site for a billion in cash, but it has nothing to do with the arena.

It's so valuable because it's located on a site with well over six million square feet of developable real estate, and sits on top of the busiest rail hub outside of Japan.

MSG will eventually be torn down and replaced with office towers sitting atop a huge mixed-use complex and new Penn Station.

Whatever happened to the idea of turning it in to an indoor amusemnet park?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast