Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Negative Nancy

Default Negative Nancy

So I have been reading Dyes for years now, and even posting once in a great while. As of late, I don't even want to read post beyond the first 3 replies. there is a pattern that I see that is very disturbing and I think it shows why Detroit is the way it is. The first reply is typically a response to whatever the question is... the second is a response to the first response and how it is wrong... and the third is a link to where the question was asked a few years back and should have been posted there.

Listen, everyone who post here should not have to search every key word in their post and read every post that may match their search before they post! Also people make spelling and grammatical errors once in a while. it's not a big deal. Get over it!!!

Part of the reason that Detroit and the surrounding areas are the way they are is because even the people who care to write blogs on the city they love are a bunch of negative people.

You HATE on people who don't come to the city... You hate on 18yr old kids who come down to the city... you hate that business dont come to the city...you hate that "Hollywood" is in your city...you hate everything. Have you ever thought maybe YOU are the problem???

Last week I took pictures of the city Christmas lit up, but I don't even want to post it because someone will find a way to hate on posting up something that is not supposed to be shown until Friday

Go on vacation... go to the cider mill... go camping... go for a walk on the riverwalk... do something fun... meet at a boxing ring and hate eachother with fist on your "VIP" Dyes thursday meetups

Second post: This is so wrong and I mean it.

You have to love a negative post complaining about negative posts.

Okay, who has the third response covered?

Grrr! Todd, that post was so NEGATIVE. Some people, such as yourself, as so full of hate and I HATE THAT! :P

Harryhood, post your photos if it brings you joy and happiness to do so, and let the haters hate, that's what they do best. And you are so right about the constant complainers being the source of their own problems.

Instead of ragging on all the "haters" [[btw, that word has been seriously devalued in recent years to the point where it is almost useless for when it is really called for), maybe you might want to consider the fact that when someone posts a link to a previous thread on that subject, they are merely trying to be helpful to not only the original poster, but everyone else who reads the OP's thread.

These are common message board complaints, grumpy old regulars vs. the newbies. This is a good time remind everyone that we are here to discuss Detroit's challenges, not your challenges.

To the grumps, please respect that newbies will not know as much as you do and politely assist them and make them feel welcome. Newbies are going to ask what has been discussed before. Ditto for those seeking assistance with projects. Get over it. Harsh and unwelcoming replies will be removed upon reporting or discovery.

Some grumps also feel that it is their role to throw the proverbial turd in the punchbowl when the sun shines too brightly for their eyes. While latitude for constructive criticism will always remain open, blatant posts will be treated for what they really are -- trolling, an attempt to enrage rather than engage. Such posts will be removed upon discovery or reporting without notice or explanation -- we don't have time for either.

Regarding this post. Posts about the forum, ergo not directly about Detroit, belong in the Connections forum. That is why this post is moved here.

To all, if you detect posts as described above, please click the report post icon and let us know.

Hi I'm new here and no one knows me, but you are all assholes and I'm not going to share my pictures because you won't like them.

Oh yeah, if you wouldn't post here, the City would be great.

Brought to you by the
    Cider Vinegar Industry

What I find is most negative posts come from people who don't live here anymore or perhaps never did. This city has a lot going for it despite strange politicians.

Last I looked this was DetroitYes. Positive comments and support always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Hi I'm new here and no one knows me, but you are all assholes and I'm not going to share my pictures because you won't like them.

Oh yeah, if you wouldn't post here, the City would be great.

Brought to you by the
    Cider Vinegar Industry

haha... not new here. just dont post. I'm pretty sure I have drank beers with you at weekly Dyes meetups in the past. I know a few peeps here [[know them from the real world, not vurtual world) and the ones that do know me would vouch that I know whats up...

Glad you got the joke Harry, welcome to the forum, you can count on me to buy you another beer ... if you post your crappy holiday pics.

I'm sure I'll hate them.

Harryhood2643, blow the hateful and negative posts off. It's a fact that humans are more prone to respond when upset or disappointed than when they are happy or satisfied. It's just the nature of humans. There is plenty to hate about Detroit and plenty to love, but human nature would dictate you would see more negative posts than positive. Another characteristic of human nature is to pay more attention to the negative than the positive. Example, there could be 5 posts in a thread that are positive and 2 that are negative, but it's the two negative posts that will get all the attention. It's who we are. We all need to learn to count our blessings and be thankful for them and not just worry about the things we don't have.

P.S.: Post your pictures. I can guarantee more people will appreciate them than those who won't, even if only a few people express their appreciation.

In the chicken or egg quandary, I doubt that the forum came first.

Seems the nattering nabobs of negativism belong to one of three categories, whether you're talking about the Detroit 3, City of Detroit, etc:

1) Invested a lot of emotional capital and is now so frustrated that they take it out in negativism. Wants to prove that moving on emotionally was the correct choice.
    2) Wants to fool himself into believing that it can't happen to him. Distances himself.
    3) Is or was jealous. Really wants to see it fail.

I still remember one year, Detroit Edison offices were along Lafayette west of Woodward. I was riding the Joy Road Express home form work and it was just starting to get dark. They turned on their new Christmas lights,sparkling aqua jewels, the little firefly light kind, that were quite new that year. I think it was the first time they were on. It was so beautiful, I still treasure that moment today.

Crumble P sums it up nicely. Whenever I hear complaints about the forum going 'all negative' or 'all about race' or whatever, I have always issued this challenge. Go through every thread currently on the forum and tell us exactly how many are that way and how many aren't. All I hear are crickets. Try it and you will see what I mean.

The fact is, if one chooses to stare doggy do one is going to see it and probably feel like it.

Gaz shows us we can choose to see otherwise, that even a dreary bus ride can can unveil beauty to the eyes.

Last week I took pictures of the city Christmas lit up, but I don't even want to post it because someone will find a way to hate on posting up something that is not supposed to be shown until Friday
    I started a CM Tree thread, so go ahead and post if you want.

Nancy, I couldn't agree more! Well said.

DetroitDad Guest

Love conquers those who can't see that there is large amounts of beauty even in the dirt and grit.

If you were just at the tree lighting,, this thread seems very silly right now. So many people came together and set aside differences [[if there really are any), including some forumers. Woodward was alive along with the rest of the CBD, even with several new shops and stores open. For a moment I thought I had stepped back in time to a past Downtown.... only I think it might have been an improvement in some ways. I guess you had to be there, but if we could keep that [[this) up, and keep the love going, maybe it will spread and soften the hearts of those cold, cold people that walk and post amongst us.

Maybe?