Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Boss says "Hello Ohio"

Several times on Friday night, Bruce Springsteen, yelled "Hello Ohio" from the stage of The Palace at Auburn Hills, located in the Detroit surburbs.
    He did it several times until long-tme sideman Stevie Van Zandt reminded him, "Yo, Boss, we're in Michigan."

Perhaps The Palace and the community out there are so Vanilla American, he didn't know if he was in Cincinnati, Columbus, or Dayton up there.

jjaba, you heard it here first.

Yikes! LOL! We are just the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the country... Michigan/ Detroit - we don't get NO respect!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaba View Post
    Several times on Friday night, Bruce Springsteen, yelled "Hello Ohio" from the stage of The Palace at Auburn Hills, located in the Detroit surburbs.
    He did it several times until long-tme sideman Stevie Van Zandt reminded him, "Yo, Boss, we're in Michigan."

Perhaps The Palace and the community out there are so Vanilla American, he didn't know if he was in Cincinnati, Columbus, or Dayton up there.

jjaba, you heard it here first.

Jackson Browne said it well..."we do so many shows in a row, these towns all look the same".

We shouldn't take this personally...

I was there. He seemed to think Detroit was in Ohio after the first few mess ups. Steve corrected him, which was good. Then he played off it, saying it was every front man's nightmare. At least he didn't yell "Hello Cleveland!!!"

He also did three Detroit-oriented songs in a row: Ramblin Gamblin Man [[after which he yelled "we love you Bobby"), Devil with a Blue Dress On, and Because the night. In between, he kept asking, "where am I?" And of course people yelled "Detroit." At one point then he made fun of the Detroit/Auburn Hills thing, asking if he was in one or the other. Then he asked if there was anyone there from Ohio, to which a lot of people [[myself included, because I now live in Toledo), yelled back the affirmative. Oh, and he played every song of the Born to Run album in order, which was a revelation -- that album has it all: the florid Springsteen bombast, Tom Waits-like visual poetry, iconic and transcendant american images of pretty girls drinking warm beer in Dodges...A fine show overall

proferssorjackson, great report right from the front row. Merci.
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with Toledo. The Pontiac GTO was named for you; Going To Ohio.
    We built millions of them out in Pontiac and Lansing.
    jjaba.

I presume he didn't do any selections from "Phantom of the Opera", or "Evita".

Even the classical program that the Public Radio Station here in Boise ID carried this story...said the audience was very kind and Bruce played an extra long set that night. Anyone see it ?

"The future of rock n roll...Bruce Springsteen's fuck'in it all up."

As said by Pee Wee Herman in the Cheech and Chong movie Nice Dreams.

Michigan is "Ohio Heights"... or is Ohio "Baja Michigan"?

I haven't been up there in years, but if recent architecture is any indication, it's no wonder he got confused. Every town in AMERICA built after 1975 looks pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
    Even the classical program that the Public Radio Station here in Boise ID carried this story...said the audience was very kind and Bruce played an extra long set that night. Anyone see it ?
    Made Chicago news channels, similar message as well.

Just saw on another board that he greeted the Wisconsin audience the same way. He's getting mileage out of it.

So The boss looks out and sees Wisconsin Cheese Heads and yells out "Hello Ohio"? LOL.

jjaba, just wondering.

This made the national wires, which is kind of odd. Is it a slow news day or what?

Anyone see him on the cover of AARP magazine? There's a nice article about him in it. He did recently turn 60...not that there's anything wrong with that. So us older folks forget some stuff!

We still love ya - you da Boss!

ProfessorJackson, you get a pass due to the fact that Toledo is really Michigan property that was stolen from us in 1835. Plus it's the home of Jeep.

Last time I went through, I saw this...

Attachment 3874

Went to the concert, & it was fabulous. [[I am no longer a Bruce concert virgin. ) When he kept saying Ohio, the audience didn’t respond. When he finally realized the oops & apologized with several honest f-bombs, the crowd went nuts. He had incredible energy throughout the show, & I’m glad I went. Great stuff.

It used to be almost every rockers favorite town to play was Detroit. It was highlight. Now we get confused with Ohio, I quit. I guess the fact that it was the Palace makes it a little better. Going to the Palace to see a concert is like going to a prison camp. Pay big prices and get treated like crap.

Eeeh Gads - maybe this man of the working people was just really tired from a grueling touring schedule...one would hope we are not that forgettable.

The guy's no dope, once a young dreamer from Jersey who really threw the switch that channeled all the electricity, all the "pathos" [[not sure what this word means, but it sure sounds intellectual. Google "Billy, he's down by the railroad tracks".), of street-level NYC into the very soul of this once-young disciple. Ignore his politics, but give the devil his due. The "Ohio" thing was merely a mental typo. After all, who else comes out on encore and tears it up with nothing less than a Mitch Ryder medley. Bruce, you are forgiven.

Maybe he should have done a Pretenders medly instead of Mitch Ryder.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Maybe he should have done a Pretenders medly instead of Mitch Ryder.
    I get your point, but permit me to sharpen it: an Outsiders medley.

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Anyone see him on the cover of AARP magazine? There's a nice article about him in it. He did recently turn 60...not that there's anything wrong with that. So us older folks forget some stuff!

We still love ya - you da Boss!

yeah, but his eyes are beginning to get that Joan Rivers thing going

Chicken soup, that was suppose to be funny, the Pretenders are a group from Ohio.

I like Springsteen, saw him once at Hill Auditorium play solo and acustic. For those of you who have never been to Hill, its one of the best venue's for acoustics and was designed by Albert Kahn. It was a great setting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast