Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old enough to remember

Who's old enough to remember when stop signs were yellow?

Was that in the Fred and Barney era?

Aw, I remember 'em well. Probably in the mid fifties when they started changing them over to red. And Yield signs were unknown until probably the mid sixties or so. Since I've been drivin' since 1952, ain't no big thing seeing them in yellow once more........

The letters in STOP were frequently filled with little white reflectors to make the signs really stand out at night, sort of like large sequins.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Seems to me the stop sign at the corner of Farmbrook and Chandler Park Dr., looking toward Chester, was yellow, a whitw band across the middle, the letters in black.

I'm old enough to have seen an ancient picture of a yellow stop sign in my 1977 driver's education textbook!!! And I'm old enough to remember when YIELD signs were yellow!

Other than that the closest I've actually come is seeing yellow "stop ahead" signs before the ordinary red stop signs that were on Beaconsfield near [[??? probably Woodside) in the middle of Harper Woods back when there were no traffic lights and only that one stop in the whole stretch between Moross and Eastland.

I also remember when the Merging Traffic signs on I-94 actually had the written words "Merging Traffic" instead of the arrow symbol.
    Last edited by EMG; November-16-09 at 02:57 PM.

I recall seeing yellow stop signs as a kid. The signs were very old at the time.

I remember when stop signs were human.
    Actually go to the post by Ray called Woodward ave 1915
    On the far right side of the pic, in the middle of the intersection, is a cop directing traffic. He standing there, under an umbrella attached to a pole in the middle of the street.

Toolbox Guest

How about when stop signs were white with black letters?

I barely remember the yellow signs. I think they had them at the Denby High School driver's training course.
    I also remember when it was common for people to stop at the signs, and at red lights.
    Yes. I am quite old.