Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Buy American Guest

Default Jail time for Bing?

Seems as though the court ordered Bing to start taking union dues out of CofD employees paychecks and he's refused to do it. The union is demanding that he be sent to jail for violating the judges orders. Why do all these politicians feel they are above the law and ignore the courts?

Source?

Or are you just a guy who is a Bing hater?
    Last edited by Detroitej72; November-13-09 at 11:43 PM.

Stosh Guest

I was going to post this earlier but here's a decision in the US court of appeals where they did the exact same thing. Only thing is, they agreed to take it out by direct deposit, which got the employer into trouble.

Whole moral of the story is, it seems to be legal according to this.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/...dc/071455p.pdf

Here's the article

http://detroitnews.com/article/20091...tempt-of-court
    Last edited by Stosh; November-13-09 at 11:59 PM.

Blarf Guest

I guess can Bing can tell just about anyone the city is broke, but no one seems to listen.

I don't understand all these Bing haters. Get real.

Yep, you need not be a Bing fan to not understand that the city is broke... the gravy train has come to an end.... and it did not happen over night. For example, back under the Kilpatrick regime a city fiscal audit could not be produced on the "regular". There was always some excuse regarding fiscal accountability. While justifcation of BOLD-FACED corruption was the call of the day. This was part of the hidden and growing dept accruing daily while the "friends and family" gravy train roared at full steam. And there are less tax payers now then there were then... so who is paying?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    I guess can Bing can tell just about anyone the city is broke, but no one seems to listen.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I don't understand all these Bing haters. Get real.
    Well, if Bing if the one who makes the decision that your job is gone, I understand why they would hate him.

What I don't understand is people who don't seem to understand simple economics. If there is no money coming in, how do you expect to be paid? Where to you expect the money to come from?

Bing seems to be the only one doing the dirty work. He is going to have to face a strong resistance. The city has a deficit for a reason.

It sounds like some of you have misinterpreted the original post. Apparently, Bing's decision to stop withholding union dues from AFSCME members has been taken to court where he lost a judgment to do so. Union dues amount to one hour of work's pay every two weeks, as I recall. How is it anti-Bing to make him comply with a legal contract the City has with it's employees? It's more a case of Bing being anti-union and trying to force their compliance to a concession contract. The original poster questioned why Bing thinks he is above the law for not complying to the court's ruling against him. It's not an anti-Bing position but a rational and reasonable question.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    It sounds like some of you have misinterpreted the original post. Apparently, Bing's decision to stop withholding union dues from AFSCME members has been taken to court where he lost a judgment to do so. Union dues amount to one hour of work's pay every two weeks, as I recall. How is it anti-Bing to make him comply with a legal contract the City has with it's employees? It's more a case of Bing being anti-union and trying to force their compliance to a concession contract. The original poster questioned why Bing thinks he is above the law for not complying to the court's ruling against him. It's not an anti-Bing position but a rational and reasonable question.

Except that further down the article the city which Bing represents gives it's reason for not withholding union dues.

Perhaps the city will appeal this decision.......it does prompt the elementary question.......where the hell is the money to come from?

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    Except that further down the article the city which Bing represents gives it's reason for not withholding union dues.

Perhaps the city will appeal this decision.......it does prompt the elementary question.......where the hell is the money to come from?
    The money is coming from the Union's employees. The City isn't keeping the money, it's just not complying with the court's order to withhold the money from the employee's paychecks and pass it on to the unions as required by the contract and ordered by the court.

Right is right and wrong is wrong, no matter who it is. All of the posters accusing others of being Bing haters would probably have been some of the first posters to say "throw him in jail" had this been Kwame.

Of course, the mayor's not going to be thrown in jail for violating the court's order. However, the City could face financial penalties for not complying with the court's order. Thereby, causing the taxpayers to spend more money, the money that everyone agrees that the City doesn't have much of, when it doesn't have to if Bing simply complies with the court order.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Source?

Or are you just a guy who is a Bing hater?
    Huh??? I can't believe how some of you can read stuff into other people's posts. No hate here...actually was one of his fans and thought he could do a good job [[I felt the same way about thug KK and look where that went).

jerrytimesI don't understand all these Bing haters. Get real.

quote The money is coming from the Union's employees. The City isn't keeping the money, it's just not complying with the court's order to withhold the money from the employee's paychecks and pass it on to the unions as required by the contract and ordered by the court. quote kraig

Thank you kraig

Bing is willing to break the law if that helps break the union. The penalty won't be personal or harsh [[jail?!?!? not likely, just a flamboyant sound bite).

Stopping dues deductions [[of money belonging to and earned by the workers involved) is a tactic to damage or at least harass the AFSCME locals. While dues deductions simplifies the process of being a local union decades of doing this is part of the disconnect between members and union hierarchies.

It's been done before tho' I don't recall if it was Kwame or Archer who stopped collection of union dues. It was up to the union members themselves to send in their union dues every two weeks. For the most part, it didn't happen. When the issue with the City was resolved, union members, who hadn't paid their dues during that period, paid a nominal charge of $5 to be reinstated.

Bing was a business owner himself. It is common that someone like him to be against the union.

crawford Guest

Why is everyone talking about the City's finances, or whether or not Bing is a good guy?

The point is that he's ignoring a court order. This is a legal issue. The City's financial condition is irrelevent.

If the union workers support their union and what it's doing for them, they shouldn't have any problem with sending in their $20 every 2 weeks or $40 every month on their own. To me this is the union's way of avoiding people who are unhappy with their representation. I wish my union dues were this low.....and I also wish this was a right to work state!