Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    DetroitDad Guest

Good to meet all of you that made it.

Thank you, Kathleen for putting together the picnic. We had a great time!

Thank you Kathleen. Another outstanding effort on you part. Nice to see everyone and to put name to face. Especially pleased to finally meet Lilpup. A real pleasure.

Sorry I missed it. I had a family obligation. Did anyone save me one of Dave's brownies?

Let me add our thanks as well, Kathleen. We had a wonderful time! It was so great to meet those we hadn't met before and talk to everyone. All the food was delicious, the weather cooperated, and the company was fantastic. What else could you ask for.

Here is the recipe for my sand pail pudding that everyone was asking for. ENJOY!!

SAND PAIL PUDDING [[ Feeds 15) I doubled this for the picnic

1/2 C Butter [[ 1 stick)
    4 oz Cream Cheese
    1/2 C Powdered Sugar
    3.5 C Whole Milk
    2 Box Instant Vanilla Pudding [[3.4 oz)
    12 oz Cool Whip
    1 Pkg Pecan Sandies Cookies

You will need 3 mixing bowls. The final one must be LARGE

1. Crush Cookies [[I put them in a large zip-lock back and use a meat tenderizer or hammer)
    They should look like sand when you get done

2. In a bowl, beat together: Butter, Softened Cream Cheese and Powdered Sugar
    Use mixer until thoroughly blended

3. In another bowl, mix together: Milk, Pudding, Cool Whip
    Use mixer until thoroughly blended

4. Mix together the two bowls of ingredients
    Use mixer until thoroughly blended - Chill in refrigerator for about 10 minutes

5. Starting with crushed cookies, alternate layers of cookies and pudding mixture.
    Final layer should be cookies.
    HINT: After layer of cookies, spoon pudding mix on then spread gently

OPTIONAL:

6. Put gummy fish, worms or sea creatures on top.

7. Serve out of sand pail using a sand pail shovel.
    Alternate: Chocolate Instant Pudding and Oreo Cookies [[Dirt Pudding)
    Last edited by Blueidone; May-25-09 at 09:16 AM. Reason: didn't print right.

6. Default

Thank you Kathleen [and hubby Dave] for your generous time and effort in guiding yet another wonderful laid-back in real life event. Here is a parting shot from the wind-down on our island gem of Belle Isle.
    Attachment 1404

Thanks to Kathleen for putting on this event! It was so great to meet everyone and all of you made a generally shy person feel very welcome! Food was great and the weather was perfect! I didn't get to meet a few though, hopefully at an FSC event in the future! Thanks again!

Stromberg2

The fam and I had a blast [[even the protesting tween who spent most of the time in the van). Thank you so much to Kathleen for coordinating this and for all of you being so friendly and welcoming.

A special thanks to Sumas for bringing her dog. We purchased a dog book for the little one which he was very excited to receive. Now we are waiting for the right dog to come our way. I never would have thought it possible for us if I hadn't seen the little one with your adorable dog.

Thanks to all who came out for this year's DetroitYES Picnic. Your presence and participation make it all worthwhile.

By my count, there were about 45 people in attendance. The picnic began right at noon and lasted until about 7pm. The weather was perfect for our gathering!!

Thanks to all those who attended the Picnic for the first time. It was so nice to meet you all.

Thanks to those who brought family and friends. It was a pleasure to make their acquaintance [[or reacquaintance, in a couple cases).

Thanks to all who brought a dish to pass or additional beverage or supplies.

Thanks to Blueidone for the Sand Pudding...and to DetroitDad and DetroitMom for its counterpart Dirt Pudding. They were both yummy!!! [[aside to Pam: no Brownies this year!! Maybe next year there will be a dessert competition!!)

Thanks to Gistok for sharing theatre memorabilia and information.

Thanks to Gnome for sharing the 1915 map of Downtown Detroit East!!

Thanks to Gannon for bringing the boombox; we enjoyed listening to the Red Wings victory!!!

Thanks to those who brought their various canine companions.

Thanks to Blueidone and Don, Gannon, ErikD, Stromberg2, and Gnome for helping to clean up everything and to take down the canopies and tables, and pack the minivan.
    [[Dave sends his thanks to all who pitched in!!!)

And lastly thanks to Lowell for creating the DetroitYES forum and providing us a place to meet and discuss and vent and visit online.

Gertrude, it was such a pleasure meeting your boys. We have two grown sons so it was like a walk down memory lane to meet your family. Our dog Putz, greatly enjoyed his play date too. Can't wait to hear what kind of dog you adopt. Huge hint ...your oldest son wants a chocolate lab.

I just hope you find a dog that has a sweet temperment and the energy to keep up with kids.

We spent more time talking to your boys than anyone else. They are both exceptional smart fantastic kids. Hope you can bring them to Georgia Street Reading Night sometime.

Kathleen, Dave ..Thanks You.. Very Nice meeting all of you...Very nice group...Whaler

lilpup Guest

I want to chime in also with thanks to Kathleen, Dave, and all. It was nice to meet people behind the so familiar screen names. My mom, too, really enjoyed the day, meeting so many new folks. She was blown away by your survey map, gnome, and the way everyone shared their knowledge discussing it.

intriguing.. I was at the movement festival.. hmm... next time, 4 sure..

I missed it again!

Had a great time!

Finally came out of the sugar coma that Blueidone's yummy SAND PAIL PUDDING put me into!

Great meeting new faces behind old names, although there were a lot of old faces from last year.... missed seeing Cub this year... did he make it?

Gnome, that 1915 survey map of downtown Detroit you brought was AWESOME!!!

Blueidone... I have to say I never would have known how to pronounce your alias the way you have it spelled... "Blue-eyed-one".

Finally got to meet Danny!

Kathleen and Dave... another great performance!!

Sumas, Crystal, Blueidone and Lilpup... great talking to you all!

... and Gnome... what can be said about Gnome that hasn't been said already!
    Good seeing you again!

DetroitDad Guest

Gistok, the theater book was really cool, as was the map, Gnome.

Blueidone, that pudding was to die for! I really wish you mentioned you were bringing that [[I should have mentioned the dirt dessert sooner too), we really would have done something much more gross looking... hehe.

Looking forward to next year!

Sorry to have missed the picnic, but our weekend at Ipperwash Beach is an annual event, planned in advance. Can someone post more pics? The photo of the blue cheese martini couch was reminiscent of former Fourth St happenings.
    While reading a history of the beach cottages where we stayed, I noticed a picture of an old penny postcard that was sent from the beach back home to neighbors in Detroit, on Canfield. Apparently, two cents were required at the time for "international" postcards!

The photo of the blue cheese martini couch was reminiscent of former Fourth St happenings.
    Because it was from that. Or was it the Dally in Alley? Definitely not last year's picnic anyway.

Fourth Street, from what I remember...although by the time I got there no signs were evident. Nobody could read from their alcohol blindness, anyways!

Plus, Dally's couch was in a garage...

How about some pics, folks?

Yes the Martini couch pic is from the last of the great 4th Street Fair's. The couch has been discussed on many occasions and I knew I had a pic of it somewhere., It just took me until then to find it.

Ill try and bring the martini couch to next years picnic, I never thought of that. Unfortunately I couldnt make it to this years picnic.

Yes, that was 4th st fair from two yrs ago. The Dallys couch is always much better though and I dont charge anything.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4