Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Woodward Avenue Retail Development Activity

Just got back from a stroll to Campus Martius and a swing by the Downtown CVS. I was surprised to see so many toys and new gadgets in their window display. Apparently they are selling Wii Fit, or something very similar [[some sort of video super fit game).

Meanwhile, work of some sort appears to be going on at the former Woodward Restaurant in the Compuware Building. I could see neon through the windows. A little further down the street you can peer into the windows of the Kresge Shops to see the progress slowly but surely happening. The new bakery in particular is coming along nicely, surprisingly with goodies already in the display case. On the State Street side of the Kresge Buildings, one can see what appears to be a woman's shoe store that definitely seems much nicer than what was going on over at the Russell Bazaar. The Kresge Shops seem more like upper end mini boutique stores rather than kiosks or lower end retail. I am becoming pleasantly surprised by the progress at the Kresge Shops.

Next door to the Kresge Shops is the new 5 and 10 Bar, with a flashing open sign in it's windows, though it did not appear to be open. Further down the street is the new nightclub; Vain, across from Oslo's Sushi and Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes. The new lights on that building are at least a shot of life to that block, if nothing else.

Still high vacancies and no sense of flow or cohesion, but it is nice to see that the Woodward Avenue Shopping District is more stagnant than anything else, or even moving forward, and not moving backward, as it had momentarily appeared to be with the rash of closings earlier this year.

As Gannon always says; Cheers!
    Last edited by DetroitDad; November-13-09 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Grammar

I guess that Bing is bringing a new sense of confidence among retailers in detroit.

I had made several trips into the city this week and noticed heavier than usual foot traffic especially near Wayne State. My philosophy is that many suburbanites displaced by recession and foreclosure are starting over in the city. Why not? Rent is cheap, it's more exciting and progress is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Just got back from a stroll to Campus Martius and a swing by the Downtown CVS. I was surprised to see so many toys and new gadgets in their window display. Apparently they are selling Wii Fit, or something very similar [[some sort of video super fit game).

Meanwhile, work of some sort appears to be going on at the former Woodward Restaurant in the Compuware Building. I could see neon through the windows. A little further down the street you can peer into the windows of the Kresge Shops to see the progress slowly but surely happening. The new bakery in particular is coming along nicely, surprisingly with goodies already in the display case. On the State Street side of the Kresge Buildings, one can see what appears to be a woman's shoe store that definitely seems much nicer than what was going on over at the Russell Bazaar. The Kresge Shops seem more like upper end mini boutique stores rather than kiosks or lower end retail. I am becoming pleasantly surprised by the progress at the Kresge Shops.

Next door to the Kresge Shops is the new 5 and 10 Bar, with a flashing open sign in it's windows, though it did not appear to be open. Further down the street is the new nightclub; Vain, across from Oslo's Sushi and Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes. The new lights on that building are at least a shot of life to that block, if nothing else.

Still high vacancies and no sense of flow or cohesion, but it is nice to see that the Woodward Avenue Shopping District is more stagnant than anything else, or even moving forward, and not moving backward, as it had momentarily appeared to be with the rash of closings earlier this year.

As Gannon always says; Cheers!

Driving along woodward i've noticed quite a few small businesses popping up over the last year, which confused me because I thought a recession would make this kind of growth unlikely. So I stopped and spoke with a few of them, just out of curiousity, and found that some had lost their jobs in other fields and had no choice to create their own. They put up everything they had, their families too. One was a 21 year old who, about a year ago, gave up selling dope on the eastside and invested his "earnings" so he could create 7 jobs for his friends, so that they could live through an escalading turf war and have a chance to fly straight. His place is very professional and becoming quite successful.

I hope that some of you might take the time to travel the ave. and downtown to patron these places during the holiday season and spend some x-mas money. It means so much more than just keeping a place in business, you are helping to save Detroiters lives....

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Driving along woodward i've noticed quite a few small businesses popping up over the last year, which confused me because I thought a recession would make this kind of growth unlikely. So I stopped and spoke with a few of them, just out of curiousity, and found that some had lost their jobs in other fields and had no choice to create their own. They put up everything they had, their families too. One was a 21 year old who, about a year ago, gave up selling dope on the eastside and invested his "earnings" so he could create 7 jobs for his friends, so that they could live through an escalading turf war and have a chance to fly straight. His place is very professional and becoming quite successful.

I hope that some of you might take the time to travel the ave. and downtown to patron these places during the holiday season and spend some x-mas money. It means so much more than just keeping a place in business, you are helping to save Detroiters lives....
    You could tell when the recession is deep when the dope dealer gives up his trade and become legit

Don't forget to check out the wonderful retailers on other streets, such as Cass. Cass continues, every month or so to have a new shop open up. It's very exciting. The entire corridor, from Mack/MLK to Grand BLVD. is seeing massive amounts of development, and it hasn't stop or slowed since the recession.

One of my more conspiratorial [[smile) minded friends is always saying that the "suburbanites" are coming back and forcing all of the present Detroiters out, ala things are getting too expensive for current Detroiters to stay etc. ETC. so we'll have to get out of Detroit, etc.

Her reasoning does not work out... for one where are the Detroiters going too? Off the face of the earth [[there are some who subscribe to that option)? To West Bloomfield? Windsor? LOL! And were is the wave of suburbanites beating a path to come to Detroit with the, blight, high crime and school issues? Maybe some DINK [[double income no kids) but not families per se. The fancy lofts are many inhabited by "single" new arrivals. No kids, maybe a cat or two.

Anyway relative to the comment: It is "ACTUALLY" VERY EXPENSIVE to live in Detroit, what with the sky-high insurance rates, theft, theft deterrents, and high utility rates and costs associated with reduced city services. Sure you can get some dive house or apartment to live in but what about your quality of life?

And the best rentals are sky high as a means to weed out those not serious about paying rent, etc. And the so-called bohemian lifestyle of "roughing" in the hood has gotten old, and gets old the "older" you get.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Doma View Post
    I had made several trips into the city this week and noticed heavier than usual foot traffic especially near Wayne State. My philosophy is that many suburbanites displaced by recession and foreclosure are starting over in the city. Why not? Rent is cheap, it's more exciting and progress is happening.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-15-09 at 11:14 AM.

That's encouraging. I would like to shake that 21 year old's hand. What a wonderful testimony.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post

The gentrification of Detroit has begun! There just isn't enough space for "poor" people anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    One of my more conspiratorial [[smile) minded friends is always saying that the "suburbanites" are coming back and forcing all of the present Detroiters out, ala things are getting too expensive for current Detroiters to stay etc. ETC. so we'll have to get out of Detroit, etc.

stinkbug Guest

There is no gentrification of Detroit. Any black folks with the means move out to Southfield or eastside inner-ring burbs. No suburbanites are moving here in droves. If any, just the usual suspects of funky young white people. The neighborhoods are continuing to deteriorate...you can buy a house for seventy five fucking dollars...and one in move-in condition for two thousand dollars.

Walk outside. There is no gentrification.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doma View Post
    My philosophy is that many suburbanites displaced by recession and foreclosure are starting over in the city.
    Suburbanites are escaping "recession and foreclosure" by moving to a community in a permanent depression, and with the highest foreclosure rate in the state?

And you really think the bulk of weekend Cass Corridor pedestrians are homeowners and/or suburban relocatees? Seriously?

DetroitDad Guest

What is wrong with gentrification? Are inner cities only supposed to be for poor people?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    What is wrong with gentrification? Are inner cities only supposed to be for poor people?
    The usual problem with gentrification is that cities [[or parts of them) become only for rich people. However, I really don't think that will be much of a concern in Detroit for some time to come. Detroit could definitely use more well-off residents, and there would still be room for everybody.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Retail wine shop Opening on Woodward Avenue

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/m...ine111009.aspx

....Armin-Parcells will open Motor City Wine at 608 Woodward's second floor suite. His wine shop and tasting bar will be located above what is currently Eph's [[but will soon be Foran's Deluxe Diner -- more on that in a future issue) with a separate front entrance. The space will seat approximately 45, with some two-tops as well as a large community table. The north wall will be lined with product shelved in hanging wooden wine crates -- approximately 120 different varieties of wine will be stocked -- as well as rotating works of art.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Two Buildings South of Himelhoch Building

It would appear that two buildings on the David Whitney Building block are being prepped for tenants on the retail level. Workers can be seen working on scaffolding inside the two buildings huge plate glass windows.

Both buildings in question [[Metro PCS is long gone, and a very nice insurance agency has opened in the former bail bonds space); http://maps.google.com/maps?q=woodwa...45.61,,0,-2.55

The black building is the the old Grinnell Bros piano store.

I have been downtown 3 or 4 times this week and saw a very surprising amount of foot traffic up/down Woodward, below Campus Martius, to the east and west. The outdoor cafe at the Book Cadillac [[Michigan Ave side) had over 20 people Saturday afternoon. No ball game.
    Mostly early evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    There is no gentrification of Detroit. Any black folks with the means move out to Southfield or eastside inner-ring burbs. No suburbanites are moving here in droves. If any, just the usual suspects of funky young white people. The neighborhoods are continuing to deteriorate...you can buy a house for seventy five fucking dollars...and one in move-in condition for two thousand dollars.

Walk outside. There is no gentrification.
    I don't know where you are walking outside or if you are just blind but I see a completely different reality when I walk outside [[I live downtown). I see a great deal of variety of people when I go down woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    I don't know where you are walking outside or if you are just blind but I see a completely different reality when I walk outside [[I live downtown). I see a great deal of variety of people when I go down woodward.
    I agree...a diverse crowd today, including families with children and above 60 adults. It helps with the daily cleaning of the bus stops, garbage cans, pressure cleaning of the sidewalks. Downtown proper looks clean and inviting.

I think that a computer store should go into the former Borders location. Something like a Dell or Apple.If not a computer store; let it be some type of office supplies store. Something that would compliment the area instead of having another bar so the city could profit on more liquor taxes.

I was downtown last night and I was pleasantly surprised how well lit lower Woodward actually is. Well from Grand Circus to Campus Martius at least.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post

Dont. Feed. The. Trolls. Especially the ones that havent so much as seen a PICTURE of Detroit since 1982....

Owner of the bakery at Kresge shops told me today that horrible doesn't describe how bad business is....no foot traffic....basically she has only been able to stay afloat so far because compuware places large orders from her. She said she's looking into moving the bakery to birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think that a computer store should go into the former Borders location. Something like a Dell or Apple.If not a computer store; let it be some type of office supplies store. Something that would compliment the area instead of having another bar so the city could profit on more liquor taxes.
    I think a computer store would be a great addition. RadioShack on Woodward in Midtown is about the only place I know of in the city where you can buy a computer or other general electronics. I work at Detroit Public Library and patrons are always asking me where they can buy a computer, and I tell them to go to RadioShack or somewhere in the burbs like MicroCenter. It would be nice for there to be more than one option in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    I think a computer store would be a great addition. RadioShack on Woodward in Midtown is about the only place I know of in the city where you can buy a computer or other general electronics. I work at Detroit Public Library and patrons are always asking me where they can buy a computer, and I tell them to go to RadioShack or somewhere in the burbs like MicroCenter. It would be nice for there to be more than one option in the city.
    How about Staples? How about the Computer Store in the Penobscot Building?

General Electronics? How about Super K? Even the Target in E Dearborn is only a ten minute drive from DPL.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast