Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who is taking over Zaccaro's Market

Noticed plastic sheeting covering all the hot/cold and bakery cases at Zaccaro's when driving down Woodward the other day. All the lights on too. Does anyone know who is taking over the place or what the plans are?

I saw two men walking out and locking the doors while I was on the Woodward bus headed Downtown.

I wondered if someone possibly was intending on relpening something there. Hopefully a grocery sstore, since all the equitment is already there!! This would mean two grocery stores opening in Midtown, the other being Sunflower Market on W Forest.

Also, I heard from Goodwell's on W Willis that they will be expanding into the old Revolution Books space. [[they moved to the old C-POP gallery at Woodward and Willis) and therefore will have a larger selection of health and natural foods. Yay for more food options! No one in Midtown and surrounding areas will have an excuse to shop in the burbs! There soon may be 5 grocery stores in two square miles.

^ Yay for my once [[and perhaps future!) hood.

On a nice day, one could always walk from the apartment neighborhoods south of Warren to University Foods and the other stores in that area. In a pinch, I did sometimes go to the Rite Aid on Woodward... I remember doing so right after work during a heavy snowstorm in 2000 when the schools were closed down for a week.

Increasing the walkability of Midtown and the Cass Corridor is always a good thing!

Seems to be quite a common trend lately!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Increasing the walkability of Midtown and the Cass Corridor is always a good thing!

There was quite a lot of activity in there on Saturday afternoon. I understand it is under new management. Anyone hear when they might reopen?

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Is it just me or has the Detroit News far surpassed the Free Press in the quality of the articles they produce?

It appeared that someone had tried to 'drive thru' the front doors several weeks ago Doors/vestibule were boarded up and since that time a lot of activity inside, moving freezer cases, fixtures, etc...including extending the side of the store back to the rear prep or catering kitchen by walling off some of the center portion that had been used for inside parking, Let's hope there is a better mix of merchandise...upscale tempered with normal staple items---competitive with other stores...since no one has announced a concept or plan for the place it Will be wait and see. I can't imagine a glorified party store in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    Is it just me or has the Detroit News far surpassed the Free Press in the quality of the articles they produce?
    It's been that way for awhile now.

Of course, the Freep did have Elrick and Schaefer.

It's some kind of grocery type place...but not the same style as Zacarro's. And yes, the News has been writing significantly better and more interesting articles than the Free Press as of late...

Michael Solaka, the guy who brings us City Fest, has done nothing but good for this city. I'm sure his new store will be way better than Zacarros.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    Honestly, I just hate the layout their website has.

Combine the Detroit News articles with the Detroit Free Press website layout and we're golden.

I among others remember Ye Old Butcher Shop and lamented its closing...if they can't make it happen, no one can...this is great news!