Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Place to Watch College Football this Saturday

Where would everyone suggest watching college football game in the city on Saturday?

This question has been asked in one way or another previously, and yet the answers provided always seem few and far between, if not unimpressive.

I know there is lefty's in midtown, and the sports bar in greektown, but are there other less low brow venues to watch a game that has some character, good drinks, and a generally good atmosphere?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

www.DetroitArmy.com

I'm not the world's greatest football fan, but Harry's on Clifford just north of I-75 has decent food, parking, plenty of TVs.

Bump

Good suggestion Tex, but thats it? Thats the only suggestion this expert panel of detroit enthusiasts has for me?

I do appreciate it.

Proof, Hockeytown, Coaches Corner, Checker Bar, Post Bar, Anchor Bar, Lager House, Bookies, Town Pump, Park Bar, Buddy's, MGM, Sweetwater, Nicky's, Old Detroit, Old Shilengley[[sp), The Well, Elwood

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...N&hl=en&tab=wl

If you're looking for an upscale place, The Park is nice as is the Town Pump, Elwood and the brand new Bookies. At Hockeytown you'll have more of chain-type experience, like-wise for HardRock ... if you want authentic semi-dive: Forans, the Checker and Anchor all exude Detroit . At the Anchor the ghosts of ink-stained wretches, cops and city councilmen pour from the surface of the well worn bartop. The best burger is at the Checker, but you'll get a larger sellection of micro/imported beer at Forans.

People tend not to name their favorite spot for fear it will be overrun with non-regulars, who generally don't know the program and all in all tend to muck up the works.

I would recommend the new Bookies [[behind the Fox), they have huge tvs and a nice atmosphere.

Yes, Bookies does have nice TVs and a decent menu.

I would think the Elwood would be a fun place, unless you're really looking for a rowdier crowd. Always forget about them for some reason.

"Wait, Larry, they're still swinging the TV cameras over...."
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

There will be no college football in Detroit this weekend. Wayne is at Grand Valley.

The new Lucky's on Jefferson.