Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lafayette Demo major progress Friday night?

So I just got this email from SMART - talking about a detour "due to the Lafayette demolition project" from 9p Friday night until 9a Saturday morning.

http://www.smartbus.org/Smart/Ride%2...%2013%2009.htm

Are they taking big parts of her down? Makes sense as far as timing - it's getting cold and you don't want to disturb work traffic, however, it'll be odd as I wonder if she'll be substantially more gone by Monday. I went by just Tuesday, and they were rockin' and rollin on getting the facade off on the coney island side.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    So I just got this email from SMART - talking about a detour "due to the Lafayette demolition project" from 9p Friday night until 9a Saturday morning.

http://www.smartbus.org/Smart/Ride%2...%2013%2009.htm

Are they taking big parts of her down? Makes sense as far as timing - it's getting cold and you don't want to disturb work traffic, however, it'll be odd as I wonder if she'll be substantially more gone by Monday. I went by just Tuesday, and they were rockin' and rollin on getting the facade off on the coney island side.
    Sure sounds like it. I can't imagine them rerouting buses every time they work on the Michigan and Lafayette sides. I asked some of the crew the other day if they were imploding it. They said no. It was coming down floor by floor.

Friend just informs me that the westbound route changed "because of the Lafayette demolition project" has been re-routed for months. Could be more "Red Dawn" shooting necessitating the bus change.

Aug. 3 announcement:
    http://www.smartbus.org/Smart/Ride+S...on+8+03+09.htm
    Last edited by buildingsofdetroit; November-13-09 at 07:50 PM.

It's definitely "Red Dawn" shooting: more bright lights lighting up downtown, no demo workers on site at the Lafayette, usual streets for filming closed.

Also, I jokingly take issue with the thread's title: I wouldn't call anything to do with the demo "progress."
    Last edited by buildingsofdetroit; November-13-09 at 09:46 PM.

Taken 11/13/09

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post

Taken 11/13/09
    Nice shot. Taken from the parking garage?

DC48080 Guest

I can't see the picture. Just a box with a red X in it.

Was on the phone with Adamo today. They said they are NOT taking down the rest of the building like they did the eastern elevator bank. They have a huge building muncher on site now [[parked on Shelby).

Today, it appears they're taking down the scaffolding on the sides of the building.