Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Police property seizures ensnare even the innocent

I mentioned this in another thread and realized it deserves its own.
    This is crazy. A lot of people learned the hard way after the CAID raid last year that the police can bust in and take your stuff even if you've done nothing wrong. Turns out it's not just the DPD, it's all over Metro Detroit, and some departments are even admitting it's a blatant money grab.

http://detnews.com/article/20091112/...n-the-innocent

How does such a situation get changed? It's already been all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which has upheld the legality of foreiture laws. But I doubt this is what they had in mind.

My take: When governments don't have enough revenue to make ends meet, they start preying on their citizens like this. Oh, I'm so glad that taxes are so low and that all our government monies are going to crazy, right-wing crusades and wars. Now we all get to pay the hard way so our governments balance their books. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; November-12-09 at 04:33 PM.

Old news, you're guilty until proved innocent. When the government is a worse crook then the criminals we all have problems.

Some friends and I went to a Funk Night earlier this year, but we took a cab in case there was "trouble". Luckily it didn't get busted.
    Wonder what would happen if everyone started leasing cars and renting all their furniture and belongings? Would there still be rampant confiscation if the stuff wasn't owned by the "offender?"

Wouldn't it be easier to go to properly licensed establishments?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Old news, you're guilty until proved innocent. When the government is a worse crook then the criminals we all have problems.
    hmmph...and I always thought it was the other way around

9mile&seneca Guest

When the Berlin wall finally came down, the border guards and Spoleitz were the first to be lined up against a wall and shot...