Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 'Breaking the Cycle' -- What sparked new WJR feature

As some [[many?) of you likely know, the Great Voice of the Great Lakes this month launched an interactive campaign called Breaking the Cycle, hosted by station president/GM Mike Fezzey.
    This feature is designed to share and celebrate success stories of individuals and businesses in our region.

“We need to break the cycle of being our own worst enemy and thinking less of ourselves,” says Fezzey. “We need people to move to our communities with excitement and encouragement. It is our job to be their guide.”
    A local blogger, SMZ Advertising president Jamie Michelson, today adds a bit of backstory here about the hometown mindset that adds to a cycle spinning the wrong way:
    My friend Mike Fezzey . . . tells a story.

I have a new neighbor. He just moved here from Chicago and he's excited about the move. So my neighbor goes to the dry cleaner and tells the woman at the counter that he just moved here. "Why would you do that?" she says. He goes to the supermarket and the same thing happens.

Here's a guy who relocated his business and employees to Michigan to take advantage of our skilled workforce, low cost-of-living, quality healthcare system and world-class educational institutions. And the very citizens of his new community are asking him why he came here.

So Mike got fed up. And rightly so. That's why he's using his radio station to launch a bold initiative called Breaking the Cycle.
    "Breaking the cycle of negativism that surrounds Detroit" is really hard, acknowledges the adman . . . who vows to support "the uphill ride."

I figure more than a few folks here also have motivation and coverage suggestions to send Fezzey here: breakingthecycle@wjr.com

For my part I nominate Lowell.

Now if WJR could only get rid of the unlistenable nutball right wing foamers and become a real local radio station again.

EastsideAl,
    I have to agree with you on that. WJR seems to me to be 100% polemic. I can't even listen to that station anymore. And I consider myself on the conservative side.
    That's why I'm not putting too much stock in the 'breaking the cycle' thing. But I will check out the website before saying too much.

While I applaud anything that improves our local image, I have to concur with the others on what a huge disappointment the former 'great voice of the Great Lakes' has become with its smug one-sided hate radio hosts, syndicated outsiders who neither know next to nothing about nor could give a rat's ass about Detroit's challenges. But, hey, it's a business; they get to do what they want and if they want to make money bottom-feeding that is their right.

Do the foamers on WJR bad-mouth Detroit regularly? If so, that would make an interesting guest editorial on TV, but I don't think they do those any more. Time to contact local TV stations.