Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

blksoul_x Guest

Default Extra Extra; Fire Sale in Tiger Town!

FOR SALE: Detroit Tigers, [[Fire Sale); Are you looking for a few good men to play Major League Baseball? Well the Detroit Tiger organization will be hosting a Fire Sale for their young and gifted all-stars. They are listening to ALL offers![[NOTE: ONLY CONTENDING PLAYOFF TEAMS MAY REPLY!)

The face of the Tigers, Curtis Granderson, and young upcoming stud, Edwin Jackson, plus closer Fernando Rodney, and even fan favorite, catcher Gerald Laird are ALL up for trade bait!

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...408/1129/rss15

With the likely loss of free agent Pacido Polanco, and the huge fire sale going on, perhaps the Tigers will have a entire NEW look come spring 2010!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

quote "The Tigers are shopping star right-handed starter Edwin Jackson on the trade market in attempt to reduce their payroll for 2010, sources have told FOXSports.com.
    Motivated by the same cost-cutting philosophy, the Tigers also would be willing to part with center fielder Curtis Granderson for the right package in return, according to the New York Post."

This article makes no sense.

If the Tigers wanted to cut payroll for 2010, they would have cut Magglio in September, and saved the $18 million in salary for 2010. If the Tigers wanted to cut salary for 2010, they would be shopping Cabrera, who will make nearly $20 million in 2010.

Getting rid of Granderson, who will make $5.5 million in 2010, and Jackson, who will make an estimated $6 million in 2010, are certainly not cost-cutting moves. Both of these guys are huge bargains at $5-6 million for 2010.

I'm sure the Tigers are willing to trade Granderson or Jackson if the deal looks good, but it won't be about cutting payroll for 2010.

Both were All Stars last year, but Jackson faded as the season went on and Granderson struggled at the plate despite his 30 homers. Granderson played great in the outfield until the games counted late, then some very strange miss judged balls.
    I dont think either of them is a cost cutting measure, those are the guys with the must value per contract.
    I am curious what we could get back for them. Jackson would be a hot commodity for sure. What could we get if we bundled them together? Or could it be we just want prospects?
    I wonder what Toronto wants for Holliday?

And to think that the Tigers are in this situation mainly for allowing Ordonez to get in his at-bats. That's one dood what better be doing some heavy production work next season - beginning in April, not September. So, it is what it is, and there is no way Holliday will be coming here either, or at least whatever scenario that would require is hard to imagine.

The Tigers, with a payroll of around 132 million were FIFTH in all of MLB. The Tankees , heh, I'm not going to fix that typo, it looks good.... anyways, The Yankees were at about 220 million. Says alot about struggling small market towns throughout the league. The Dombrowski is barely able to remain competetive. I say get what you can get for Granderson, gotta say bye bye to Polanco, and then go from there. I'd hate to lose Laird, btw. And yes, the letter "t" is right next to the letter "y".

Got to love the philosophy of dumping Granderson & keeping Cabrera & Ordonez.. Maybe they'll trade them for "value" & pick up another couple of overpaid guys with bad attitudes or injury problems that can't run or play defense. Is Shef available?

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I wonder what Toronto wants for Holliday?
    Holliday? Do you mean [[Roy) Halladay?

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    And to think that the Tigers are in this situation mainly for allowing Ordonez to get in his at-bats. That's one dood what better be doing some heavy production work next season - beginning in April, not September. So, it is what it is, and there is no way Holliday will be coming here either, or at least whatever scenario that would require is hard to imagine.

The Tigers, with a payroll of around 132 million were FIFTH in all of MLB. The Tankees , heh, I'm not going to fix that typo, it looks good.... anyways, The Yankees were at about 220 million. Says alot about struggling small market towns throughout the league. The Dombrowski is barely able to remain competetive. I say get what you can get for Granderson, gotta say bye bye to Polanco, and then go from there. I'd hate to lose Laird, btw. And yes, the letter "t" is right next to the letter "y".
    BULLSHIT!

The Tigers do not have a payroll problem due to the Maggs contract extension. Mike Ilitch made the decision to keep Maggs on the team, and pay him the $18 million in 2010.

Any talk about the Tigers being a "small market" team, or not being able to afford a high payroll is total bullshit as well.

The Tigers had the 4th highest attendance in the AL last year, and MIke Ilitch was ranked as number 277 in the 2009 Forbes list of the richest Americans, with an estimated net worth of $1.4 billion.

There will be no "firesale" of Tiger players, nor will there be any significant change in payroll for the 2010 Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    BULLSHIT!

There will be no "firesale" of Tiger players, nor will there be any significant change in payroll for the 2010 Tigers.
    Indeed. Seems a significant change in both payroll and lineup, and we've only just begun, IMO.

Ah what the heck, I may as well elaborate.

Look, season ticket holders I think were around 13 thou last year, probably going to go below 10K for 2010. Tiger fans are extremely fair weather types, perhaps only a base of maybe 15 thousand core, do or diers. The man cannot continue to lose lose lose big big bucks, and therefore must make the soundest financial decisions available to him. Way I see it is in two parts: 1) Maggs is "the man" now. He will definitely catch so much heat from the stands if he doesn't come out of the gate slugging AT LEAST with a .290 bat and decent fielding. 2) Tigers remind me of the 90's Indians, close but no cigar. Tigers, since 2005, should have won SOMEthing by now besides a trip to St. Louis in crappy weather. Besides that, they haven't done jack.

At least the 2010 team will be young, entertaining, and hopefully we snag some youngsters who are competetive and want to WIN. Not quite "rebuilding", but I give credit to Dom for looking more long term, seeing as the past has yielded unfavorable results.
    Last edited by ggores; December-09-09 at 08:56 AM.