Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mexicantown [[questions for a presentation)

All

I am giving a presentation on Mexicantown for a labor economics course and wanted to see if anyone could steer me towards any articles, books ect...that could give some background of the area, population figures, or stats on business starts and home prices since its inception.

Essentially, I am looking at the economic assumption that immigrants flock to economically vibrant areas, and discussing how there are exceptions to the rule [[using Mexicantown and Dearborn as examples). I will then also discussion the question whether immigration is a partial solution to Detroit's population drain.
    Last edited by tkelly1986; November-11-09 at 04:46 PM.

The economic vibrancy of the area is now directly the result of the immigrant population. As the older business gradually left, rather than leaving the buildings empty and abandoned, the new residents opened their own businesses. I think that would be a great direction for your presentation.

Kelly, contact the business organizations in the area. http://www.southwestdetroit.com/

Talking to business associations are okay, if you want to hear rehearsed statements about concepts, speeches, etc. But, if you really want substance, try to talk directly to as many business owners and managers as possible. You'll get the real scoop from the people that have to deal with practical business situations on a daily basis as opposed to "business experts" that have never really owned or operated any businesses.

Try the SWDBA on Vernor, Kathy Wendler. She can give you
    facts.

tkelly1986, if you haven't already finished, three good people to talk to would be:

Fern Espino of the Mexicantown Community Development Corp [[MCDC). The MCDC was instrumental in developing the Mercardo and International Welcome Center. The Mercardo opened on Cinco de Mayo of 2007. The last tenant moved out in the late spring/early summer of 2008. She'll be a good person to talk to about the overall perspective of concepts and what not.

Monica Cervantes who put her life savings into Maya's Jewelry, which was one of the tenants of the Mercardo.

Jordi Carbonell of Cafe con Leche, which was also located in the Mercardo and was the last tenant of the Mercardo. He was fortunate enough to open up in another location and his business is doing a whole lot better.

There was a Detroit News Article on November 5 that would be able to provide some good background for you.