Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Question about Thanksgiving Day Parade

I've never been to the Parade but I'm planning on going this year with my 16 month old? Do you need to sit in the grandstand to have a good view or are there plenty of other spots to watch for free? Can you get grandstand tickets down there or do you have to do it in advance. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

I believe that grandstand are cheaper in advance but there are plenty of places to watch for no cost. The streets haven't been pakced [[in my opinion) the last couple of years so I wouldn't be too worried about having to find a place to watch the parade

Sitting up on your shoulders will give him the best seat in town. And it's free!

EastSider Guest

However, buying a grandstand ticket supports the parade monetarily, helping to ensure that we'll continue to have it. It may also be a little easier on you, schedule-wise, because you wouldn't have to get down quite as early as you would to get a curb-side seat.

Check the parade company's website for more information. If you really want to do this in style you can get a table in a restraunt having a thanksgiving buffet breakfast. That way if it is brutally cold [[and sometimes it is) you will be nice and warm.

As with everything dealing with the outdoors you need to be flexible. Paying in advance for a grandstand seat sort of locks you into a particular location, and these are typically found where traffic is the heaviest and parking is at a premium, meaning you have to pay quite a bit to park or wear your comfy shoes.

Growing up, dad would take us down with a stepladder to watch it, and we would mostly end up in the Cass Coridoor area. I cherish those days.