Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: stomp out kings

Default stomp out kings

I had heard that a gang is roaming detroit called the "Stamp out Kings" They are attacking male senior citizens or older males. What should be the solution in stopping these attacks from happening again. Some had said decoys. Some had said tougher police presence. I don't know

Buy American Guest

Detroit needs more police protection and Detroit needs stiffer laws and punishment for crimes after they are committed. How many of these young thugs have already been arrested for various violent crimes and are out of jail before the ink on the paperwork is dry?

Well is it "stomp out kings" or "Stamp out Kings"? You call it two different things.

crawford Guest

Unfortunately we already tried decoys in Detroit [[STRESS) and somehow it was considered racist because most of the apprehended criminals were black.

Unless the Stamp Out Kings are a bunch of sububanite white kids laying waste to the city, I think most Detroiters just prefer the old folks get their asses kicked.

Apparently it's "Stomp" according to this: Police Say 'Stomp Out Kings' Target Elderly Victims
    DETROIT - Police need your help to track down a cowardly gang on Detroit's near east side called the "Stomp Out Kings." Investigators say they have a habit of picking on older people by themselves and brutally beating them. Sometimes it's for money, but sometimes it's just for kicks.
    Video at the link.

"Sometimes it's for money, but sometimes it's just for kicks"

Is this supposed to be funny? because it is. But the crime isnt, of course

That just sickens me. Something else sinister to give Detroit a bad rap.

I would have to say if that was my parent, I'd be taking him to a gun shop and buy him a pistol. Then I'd take him to the nearest shooting range and sign him up for lessons. And get him a permit to carry the damn thing.

Decent people are getting mad as hell and they will start to take back their streets against these thugs...sooner or later - I'd rather it be sooner. The wild west is needin' to be settled once again!

I wish a speedy recovery to this victim.

How sad. This is the first I have heard of this new crime spree.

Sick name, sick people. MO instantly reminded me of that poor 91 year old WW2 Vet who was savagely beaten for a fricken Chevy Malibu couple years back.

Of course slime prey's on the most vulnerable, sad but true.

It is painful to see that video and look into that poor man's eyes.

More guns and cops arent even a temporary solution. It isnt just a matter of letting loose more cops on the beat-there is still an issue with poor police community relations,corruption-antogonism etc..a gun isnt going to do any good if a gang of young thugs gets the jump on an old timer. Its a pack mentatlity..animals gone wild.....

The police should have a shoot first, ask questions later order with these bastards. But then, of coarse, their worthless families would be all over the news talking about how they were misunderstood and really a bunch of angels.

Decoys would have a good chance of being effective. There is probably a limited reservoir of people interested in this particular type of crime, so you wouldn't need to catch that many to have an impact.

Of course, more effective police in general would help--it is doubtful that these are the only crimes these folks are committing, so there are probably many opportunities to lock them up.

I don't really see how these potential victims can protect themselves other than by not going into places where the assailants might be. It is really hard for isolated people to defend themselves against an ambush, even if young and armed.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Decoys would have a good chance of being effective. There is probably a limited reservoir of people interested in this particular type of crime, so you wouldn't need to catch that many to have an impact.

Of course, more effective police in general would help--it is doubtful that these are the only crimes these folks are committing, so there are probably many opportunities to lock them up.

I don't really see how these potential victims can protect themselves other than by not going into places where the assailants might be. It is really hard for isolated people to defend themselves against an ambush, even if young and armed.
    I had heard if decoys are used such as an ex-marine or a person with exceptionally excellent fighting skills who could injure a couple of them the gangs would think twice before attacking another person.I agree with that concept. A decoy doesn't have to kill them unless circumstances calls for it; he just have to injure the attackers and they would spread the word back at the ranch.

detroitchef Guest

You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Unfortunately we already tried decoys in Detroit [[STRESS) and somehow it was considered racist because most of the apprehended criminals were black.

Unless the Stamp Out Kings are a bunch of sububanite white kids laying waste to the city, I think most Detroiters just prefer the old folks get their asses kicked.
    Crude, truly crude. Always a new low for you.

I thought STRESS was cancelled because of the innocent people they shot while performing home invasions.

On topic however, this sort of thing has been around for a while, I remember 60 Minutes doing a story on these kind of crimes several years ago. Truly cowardly. If I remember correctly, it was happening more in Western states back then.

Guy in a bar remembered the STRESS units, said they just hired the toughest dudes coming back from Nam. Let them do whatever they wanted, sort of like the worst of the old days, the Big Four and Ben Turpin combined. They'd sit in a bar, looking like civilians but armed to the teeth. When somebody fucked with them, they'd lay them out. And then there's the entrapment. Basically, a bunch of Bad Lieutenant types, totally above the law, unaccountable, behaving more like a gang than a bunch of professional cops. Anybody who wants a return to these bad old days must think the Gestapo was a fine police outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Guy in a bar remembered the STRESS units, said they just hired the toughest dudes coming back from Nam. Let them do whatever they wanted, sort of like the worst of the old days, the Big Four and Ben Turpin combined. They'd sit in a bar, looking like civilians but armed to the teeth. When somebody fucked with them, they'd lay them out. And then there's the entrapment. Basically, a bunch of Bad Lieutenant types, totally above the law, unaccountable, behaving more like a gang than a bunch of professional cops. Anybody who wants a return to these bad old days must think the Gestapo was a fine police outfit.
    Something need to be done. I agree with having vets on the police force being decoys only if the vets want to go into that line of work. I believe that the decoy being properly trained handle any situation that come their' way. They should not provoke an incident and try to avoid the incident but if the aggresor insist on the aggression the decoy should take action. That is not entrapement. If Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson should come to town because of it, tell them to blow off

From my memories: STRESS=Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets.
    The unit was created to stop attacks on citizens walking on the streets in targeted high crime areas. I won't debate on right or wrong as I don't have all the facts or first hand knowledge of all the incidents, just the theory of how it was to work.

The way it was intended was for teams of police to work, one as a decoy. Sometimes a drunk, other a old man, a old lady, disabled person. When the "victim" was attacked, the team swooped in and made an apprehension. In several instances, the apprehension turned deadly, not sure if any cops were killed but several alleged perpetrators were.

During Coleman Young's campaign, IIRC one of his promises was to disband STRESS, on the premise that it "lured" people so inclined to commit criminal acts, thereby making it "entrapment". In other words, the perpetrators would most likely NOT have committed the crime if the decoy had not lured them into the act. Well anyway, that was the reasoning given at the time.

Wasn't there a similar program during the Archer administration that ended fairly quickly due to public outcry?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    From my memories: STRESS=Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets.
    The unit was created to stop attacks on citizens walking on the streets in targeted high crime areas. I won't debate on right or wrong as I don't have all the facts or first hand knowledge of all the incidents, just the theory of how it was to work.

The way it was intended was for teams of police to work, one as a decoy. Sometimes a drunk, other a old man, a old lady, disabled person. When the "victim" was attacked, the team swooped in and made an apprehension. In several instances, the apprehension turned deadly, not sure if any cops were killed but several alleged perpetrators were.

During Coleman Young's campaign, IIRC one of his promises was to disband STRESS, on the premise that it "lured" people so inclined to commit criminal acts, thereby making it "entrapment". In other words, the perpetrators would most likely NOT have committed the crime if the decoy had not lured them into the act. Well anyway, that was the reasoning given at the time.

Wasn't there a similar program during the Archer administration that ended fairly quickly due to public outcry?
    Probably. But some suburban police departments don't seem to have a problem doing the same thing. I've seen them in action, if only to prevent crime on the elderly or infirm, or even drunk. Maybe other things too, but whatever works, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Probably. But some suburban police departments don't seem to have a problem doing the same thing. I've seen them in action, if only to prevent crime on the elderly or infirm, or even drunk. Maybe other things too, but whatever works, in my opinion.
    Well, IMO if the perpetrator was "lured" into committing the act, he is still committing a criminal act regardless of the excuse. The rationale at the time was that if the temptation was there, the act would occur. And if there was no temptation, the act would not have occurred. Hence, the police caused the act to occur because they placed a easy mark on the street, thereby luring a innocent person or two on their way to the YMCA or a civic event to do the wrong thing.

I didn't buy into the excuses for criminal acts at that time, and still don't today. And I was a lot more liberal at the time than I am today. IMO, if a crime is committed, and the perpetrator is injured or killed, oh well, he paid for the consequences of his actions, a deliberate act to harm a individual who's only mistake was to be near the person looking to commit a criminal act.

I think a decoy program would be a good idea. If all else fails, it may make someone one the edge think about the consequences of their actions. Kind of like trying to hold up someone that has a license and carrying a pistol. Not knowing for sure if the victim is armed or not will definitely be a deterrent to some people.