Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eph's to become Foran's Deluxe Diner?

Was reading ModelD this morning, and saw the mention of Eph's becoming Foran's Deluxe Diner.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/m...ine111009.aspx

Does anyone have any additional info on this? Is Eph's done for good or are they moving again? Just curious if I should fill my freezer with Mable Clarks if they are indeed closing.

crawford Guest

I think, considering the track record of the source, you should get confirmation from Eph's or a real media outlet.

I read the article. Why on earth would anyone want a second floor location when there are prime first floor locations in the immediate area; one example that comes to mind is the old Starbucks location at the Buhl. Your exposure to foot traffic on the second floor is near non-existant, even if you could get people to know you are there, then you will most likely have to deal with getting them up the stairs, which could be a major drawback for older people or those with disabilities to shop at your store. Older folks I would assume would be the most prized demographic because of disposable income is generally high and they will spend money without the hassles of having it full of a bunch of 20 somethings looking to get their drink on.

I wish him success, but he will have some difficulties with this location to overcome.

I heard they are going to open the wall between the two and make it one big place.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why on earth would anyone want a second floor location when there are prime first floor locations in the immediate area; one example that comes to mind is the old Starbucks location at the Buhl.
    Answer: $$$

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    One example that comes to mind is the old Starbucks location at the Buhl.
    ? I thought this space was taken over by National City or another bank, wasn't it?

But, I guess, the bottom line is Eph's is gone. Guess I better stock up on the #57.

Stromberg2

Model-D??? Quack speculators, gossip and rumor mongers, PR flack heaven. Never believe anything they report. Nothing. Not until you see it with your own eyes, touch it with your own hands, smell it with your own nose ... then triple check with someone else.

I am the guy opening the wine shop/tasting bar above what was Eph's. Science Fair has it dead on. It's about $$$.
    You are correct in thinking a 2nd floor location has its drawbacks, however, let me say that the foot traffic outside of Eph's is not the foot traffic I am looking for. I don't need people coming in asking to use the bathroom all day long, or just wandering in because the sign says wine.
    The fact that older/disabled people may not be able to come will indeed be an unfortunate hindrance, however, we will offer delivery service.
    Hopefully, by keeping overhead low and prices low we can create a sustainable business even in this economy. If things thrive, we may move. We will see.

When are you opening and what are the hours?

still waiting on city approval
    hours will tentatively be 11-7 m-f and 12-5 Sat with special events in the evenings

Good luck with the new business Lafleur. I look forward to you opening.

Also, Model D is a great source of information. Their stories are not based on rumors and provide information from the source. It is not their fault if development plans don't always come to fruition.

Lafleur, thank you for keeping the place open after 5pm! I live in corktown but work outside of the city and its really hard to find places that are open for business by the time I get back into the city. good luck!

Mr. Flower, I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong. Best of luck to you and your enterprise. Keep us up to speed with your progress ... a running commentary on the permitting process would be much welcomed.

I look forward to being first in line for a nice merlot to help wash down this tasty crow I have stuck in my teeth.

What about Eph's???

Yeah...What about Eph's?

Stromberg2

Bump! I'm really concerned by this. Anybody?

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Bump! I'm really concerned by this. Anybody?

Stromberg2
    I've got an idea. If you are all that concerned, give them a call or stop by.

http://tinyurl.com/yfuypby

Interesting that a guy opening a business would say that he doesn't want foot traffic, or a 'certain type' of foot traffic.

I actually love the idea and the location and look forward to trying it out, but I didn't need to know that the owner/operator had such a lack of positivity about his neighborhood.

It is true, that very soon, Eph's Downtown will be no more. The exact timing is still up in the air, but as soon as our catering kitchen at the Bohouse is licensed, we will be moving operations and reorganizing under the Eph's Kitchen brand. So, for those who care, the Eph's menu will still be available, initially by delivery, and shortly thereafter, in a new coffee house environment at the Bohouse. Times are tough and three hours/five days a week simply didn't generate enough income to handle the overhead of a downtown location. So, rather than buy and seat a liqour license, we made what we think is a pretty good arrangement that will allow Forans Grand Trunk to expand their existing license, which is a far better business model for that particular location. Thanks for your support. We will keep you posted.

Glad to hear Eph's will continue, albeit in a different location. I really do love the place.

All I want to know is, what will become of that awesome giant pickle???

Will Foran's keep it, or will Eph's move it to the new spot?

What/where is the Bohouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    What/where is the Bohouse?
    Bohemian national House - North of Michigan a couple miles outside of downtown.

Neat venue for shows that people in the community are re-doing themselves [[I think). Was closed for awhile so i am not sure if/when it is open/re-opening.

I believe it happens to be owned by somebody who seems to leave a trail of outraged business partners behind him.

Great to hear that Histeric, looking forward to the new concept. I'll stop in next week and see you and get a 57! Closed on weekends, right?

Stromberg2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast