Default Edmund Fitzgerald anniversary

It was 34 years ago today.

The legend lives on...

From the Chippewa on down...

of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

Superior it's said never gives up her dead

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Can you tell us oh wise one, the reason Superior never gives up her dead? And why does legend refer to Lake Superior as female?

Quote Originally Posted by jbd441 View Post
    Can you tell us oh wise one, the reason Superior never gives up her dead? And why does legend refer to Lake Superior as female?
    As far as I know, it has to do with the water temperature. And why the 'oh wise one' crap? I'm quoting a song lyric. Go ask Gordon Lightfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    When the Gales of November come early...

And if anyone is feeling particularly nostalgic, stop by the Dossin Museum on Belle Isle this evening. http://www.detroithistorical.org/mai...ng_events.aspx

Thanks, Sciencefair.

Wow, my brother worked on the dock where Chene Park is now on the night of the storm. he saw the EF pass by on it's last trip through the Detroit River to Duluth I believe.

The ore boat in dock that night washed out into the Detroit River the storm was that strong even here. Later they heard the news about EF.

The Fitz was on her way back from Wisconsin coming downward bound when she broke up near Whitefish Bay

The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay/
    If they'd put 15 more miles behind them

'And why does legend refer to Lake Superior as female? "

My theory would be because Lake Superior is part of the nature created by Mother Nature... Or Mother Earth to the native americans.

Nerd, Blueidone is referring to the question posed to me by jbd441:
    Today, 11:28 AM
    jbd441

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcole

Yeah, I deleted the post. I am always looking for an excuse to make fun of "Amerikkans" -- but that was irrelevant. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, I deleted the post. I am always looking for an excuse to make fun of "Amerikkans" -- but that was irrelevant. Agreed.
    That's cool. It just wasn't Blue that deserved the rip, it was the other guy.

There will also be a service tonight at the Mariner's Memorial Lighthouse located inside of Bellanger Park in River Rouge. Starts around 6:30 if I remember correctly. The Fitz was built there and they are very proud of the shipbuilding heritage.

Yeah, I was irritated by that other guy. Of course, not everybody knows TWOTEF by heart anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, I was irritated by that other guy. Of course, not everybody knows TWOTEF by heart anymore.
    It's a lost skill, isn't it?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbd441 View Post
    Can you tell us the reason Superior never gives up her dead?
    Dead bodies only rise to the surface after bacteria within them creates enough gas to produce buoyancy. Lake Superior is too cold for these bacteria to live, due to her depth and northerly latitude.

Ah, the science behind the poetry. Good post, Retroit!

Yeah, that's pretty neat. Sounds like a one-way ticket to Davey Jones' Locker.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Dead bodies only rise to the surface after bacteria within them creates enough gas to produce buoyancy. Lake Superior is too cold for these bacteria to live, due to her depth and northerly latitude.

Retroit: Well done.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast