Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Wind Power is a Complete Disaster

http://www.windaction.org/opinions/20676

Flemming Nissen, the head of development at West Danish generating company ELSAM [[one of Denmark's largest energy utilities) tells us that "wind turbines do not reduce carbon dioxide emissions." The German experience is no different. Der Spiegel reports that "Germany's CO2 emissions haven't been reduced by even a single gram," and additional coal- and gas-fired plants have been constructed to ensure reliable delivery. Indeed, recent academic research shows that wind power may actually increase greenhouse gas emissions in some cases.

There is no evidence that industrial wind power is likely to have a significant impact on carbon emissions. The European experience is instructive. Denmark, the world's most wind-intensive nation, with more than 6,000 turbines generating 19% of its electricity, has yet to close a single fossil-fuel plant. It requires 50% more coal-generated electricity to cover wind power's unpredictability, and pollution and carbon dioxide emissions have risen [[by 36% in 2006 alone).
    Industrial wind power is not a viable economic alternative to other energy conservation options. Again, the Danish experience is instructive. Its electricity generation costs are the highest in Europe [[15¢/kwh compared to Ontario's current rate of about 6¢). Niels Gram of the Danish Federation of Industries says, "windmills are a mistake and economically make no sense." Aase Madsen , the Chair of Energy Policy in the Danish Parliament, calls it "a terribly expensive disaster."

From SourceWatch:

The Industrial Wind Action Group proclaims that it is "dedicated to providing information on industrial wind energy to enable communities and government officials to make informed decisions."
    While the homepage of its website implies it is neutral on whether wind power is a good idea or not, elsewhere on its website it is more explicit that it opposes windpower. The group was formed, it states, "to counteract the misleading information promulgated by the wind energy industry and various environmental groups. Support for this effort comes from a large and diversified group of environmentalists, energy experts, and ordinary citizens." [1] However, no specific individuals or organizations are listed anywhere on the website.

"There is no evidence that industrial wind power is likely to have a significant impact on carbon emissions.'

The above statement is counter-intuitive. Every bit of electrical energy dereived form Denmark's wind towers offsets whatever carbon emissions that would otherwise be derived from coal.

Norwegian hydro-power produced electricity goes right through Denmark en route to Germany. It's odd that Denmark wouldn't be buying some of that carbon-free generated electricity.

I don't think that Denmark produces coal but it does have wind. A self-sufficiency agument could be made that , at least, Denmark is not beholden to the will of other nations or companies. What's that worth? Putin has been teaching this lesson lately.

ccbatson Guest

Not a disaster to all the liberals investing in an industry favored by tax dollars as the green future of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Not a disaster to all the liberals investing in an industry favored by tax dollars as the green future of energy.
    I tried to read what you had to say and all I saw was "blah blah blah, I just like to read my own words"

Blarf Guest

If I money, I would definitely not invest in wind power.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    If I money, I would definitely not invest in wind power.
    ...and if I were alive 100 years ago, I wouldn't have invested in horse-less carriages

"There is no evidence that industrial wind power is likely to have a significant impact on carbon emissions.'

The above statement is counter-intuitive
    . Every bit of electrical energy dereived form Denmark's wind towers offsets whatever carbon emissions that would otherwise be derived from coal.
    Agreed on the above logical counter-intuitive statement.

Infrastructure restructuring always involves change, and in the short-term, there are almost always winners and losers. Even winners are typically initially shy of change, until such time as economic factors tilt the scale and the light is then seen. Basically, show me the money.

In the long-term and in this particular context, the users [[society) will win [[or so the argument goes).

If it's such a good investment why has T. Boone Pickens abandoned his proposed project after having spent $75 million to promote it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    If it's such a good investment why has T. Boone Pickens abandoned his proposed project after having spent $75 million to promote it?
    Because he took a hit in the markerts

"Germany's CO2 emissions haven't been reduced by even a single gram,"
    The thought here should be about renewable, or free energy. I never expected wind farms to reduce carbon pollution. The wind is just there anyway, use it.

ccbatson Guest

The liberal's pot sweetened with bailout money, incentive, tax exemptions. That alone makes it a good investment for the budding corrupt liberal Al Gore wannabes of the world. Who cares if it is complete folly?

The liberal's pot sweetened with bailout money, incentive, tax exemptions. That alone makes it a good investment for the budding corrupt liberal Al Gore wannabes of the world. Who cares if it is complete folly?
    Again, if you ever backed up your drivel with facts, people could have intelligent discussions with you, buuuuut I guess that is the easiest way to in an argument

ccbatson Guest

Just listen to Obama's agenda and the liberal spending bills, follow the money to its' destination...case closed.

Just listen to Obama's agenda and the liberal spending bills, follow the money to its' destination...case closed.
    Yet again you fail to make a case, if you could site sources as though this were a paper you were writing, there could be meaningful discussion on topics that require intelligent thought. Let me take a stab at your writing style:

We can't build dirty coal plants fast enough because Americans demand power now, silly Obama and his nogoodnicks are too busy trying to clean our air and water to give the taxpayers what they really want.

ccbatson Guest

Obama's speeches and the bills passed are not good enough sources for you?

Ignorance and denial isn't a strong case either.

Quote Originally Posted by Speramus Meliora View Post
    This quote is simply wrong. Here is the link to the original Spiegel Article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/...606763,00.html

There is no such quote in the article. The closest is the following quote:
    "As astonishing as it may sound, the new wind turbines and solar cells haven't prohibited the emission of even a single gram of CO2"

The article goes on to outline a problem with the carbon trading scheme, not with wind power. Germany HAS reduced its CO2 emissions, but it has only meant that East European countries are now polluting more, so the net effect is that EUROPE [[not GERMANY) has not reduced its OVERALL CO2 emissions. The problem lies in the fact that the CO2 emission certificates are priced too cheaply.

Since your original article misquotes the Spiegel articles and lies about its contents, I will not bother to track down the Danish quotes. Given the article author's lack of journalistic integrity, I think we can safely assume that the rest of the article is bunk as well.
    Not to mention the fact that just because the wind turbines come online, doesn't mean that people stop using power like crazy, plus the Coal plants aren't shutting down...

Not an Obama supporter...and again...Obama doesn't pass bills, he is not a member of the legislative branch...he's an executive.

ccbatson Guest

Did I say he passed them?

ccbatson Guest

Although he was a legislator [[although you wouldn't know it as he voted present and didn't author any significant legislation), he does collaborate with his Marxist cohorts in congress, and he does sign the final legislation [[or veto it).

Although he was a legislator [[although you wouldn't know it as he voted present and didn't author any significant legislation), he does collaborate with his Marxist cohorts in congress, and he does sign the final legislation [[or veto it).
    Can you identify these marxist cohorts? Is this a crime? Have we removed the right for free politcal thought from our civil liberties???

The only Democratic-Communist I am aware of is the Honorable Bernie Sanders of VT

The wind turbines on the Bruce Peninsula, Ontario are supplying power to 1,500 homes, which is a significant share of the needs for the area.
    More recently, several have begun operating south of the Grand Bend area.
    No single source will supply all of the power needed. Conservation and diversification will be needed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ccbatson

So what part of this new feature is unique ?

Well placed wind generators in the prarrie states produce electricity inexpensively. Considering that they don't cause asthma and other health problems, or emit waste that has to be guarded for 100,000 years, that is remarkable.

After the buffalo herd had been gunned down, ranchers had to raise cattle. There was a lot more work involved in raising cattle than in shooting a buffalo for a couple of prime cuts. Similarly, It is easier to extract stratas of ready made energy than to make energy. As attaining the Earth's built in energy gets more competitive and provokes resource wars, the cost of those wars should also be factored in. Sustainable energy begins to make more sense even if the cost per KW/hr is a couple of pennies more.

Quote Originally Posted by Speramus Meliora View Post
    The amount of money invested in the development of windpower to date is miniscule compared to the amount of money that was invested to develop nuclear, or is currently being invested to develop "clean" coal.
    At least nuclear power is a sustainable resource if used properly

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast