Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rat invasion.. Ideas anyone

I worked for a season at a GP hardware store and people would skulk in embarassed about a rat or mouse problem. It exists and I am not embarassed to say these vermin exist everywhere.

My question is that while I can use rat poison or hire a pest company or trap the buggers I would prefer other options. Does anyone know if the sonic gear works. You know the one where you plug it in and it deters their entry. I prefer to keep them at bay rather than kill them. Does anyone know if those electronic gadgets work?

get a cat.

Is this in East English Village?

Does anyone know if the sonic gear works. You know the one where you plug it in and it deters their entry.
    The Sunbeam brand seemed to work well for us. It was recommended by a professional housecleaning service. It might bother pets though. To the human ear they make a clicking sound sometimes confused with a dripping faucet. Our problem was with mice, not rats. Since then I've seen mice outside but never indoors. So it seems to have worked.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-08-09 at 08:55 PM.

That is actually very funny. Had two persians, who, if they had a brain in their heads it would be lonesome. Allergies preclude more cats. Our dog makes friends with rabbits and squirrels in the yard. I think they are all on a first name basis. Sorry but pets are not our first line of defense.

I am serious, would like advice if the electronic gadgets work.

I had mice in my garage and got the plug in thingamajigs from Home Depot. I also took everything out of the garage and cleaned out their nests. I haven't had mice out there since. Not sure if it was from the cleaning of the nests or the sonic things...either way, I am happy.

Thanks Jimaz, I'll give it a try. Yes Mike M, location EEV. There is a rodent problem everywhere. City and burbs.

We had this problem last year too. Our neighbor baited as did we. A dead rat was in her yard and she told us it was our problem. SAY WHAT!

My husband did go over and remove the carcass but haven't talked to her much much since.

Our house, as are other in the neighborhood, are clean and trash free. This problem exists everywhere. As stated, just looking for humane solutions.

Gnome is correct. Get a cat.
    But be advised:
    Dogs have owners
    Cats have staff...

There are a few things you can do:

-Seal up any exterior holes in your house [[foundation/siding/door jams, and etc). It would save on your heating bill, and keep critters out.

-Don't keep food out, or leave crumbs on the table or floor. Don't keep pet food dog/cat food just on the floor. Keep it in a place where mice/rats can't chew threw the bag to get to.

-Keep poison traps around the house where pets/kids can't get to, but critters could. [[i.e. under/behind couches, entertainment centers, behind the stove or fridge, and etc).

-Buy an ELECTRIC mouse trap [[Victor makes a good one). These are supposedly the more humane way to kill them. But politics aside, they work very well. They use simple bait [[peanut butter). You leave it on, and check periodically to see if the light is flashing. If it is, that means something got zapped and is in there [[dead). They have them for $20 at Home Depot, I think Lowe's sells them for $13 [[I walked by and saw it on sale a few months ago).

-Tahleel

Be careful with that poison. My dog got hold of some that was hidden under a dresser in a house we were visiting. Fortunately it was just ant poison and I caught her before she ate the whole thing, but rat poison could have killed her. Pets can be very crafty about finding that stuff anywhere in the house.

I use glue traps for mice,No problems with rats , Well not yet. I caught a mouse out in my garage which I thought blindly was mouse free.
    In the three years I have lived in my house. I have not seen any mice in the house, Good thing the cat is doing his job. My biggest peaves are ants, and this year fruit flies.

Fruit fly problems...easy fix. Pour about a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in a small bowl, squirt a few squirts of dish washing liquid [[Dawn, Palmolive, Joy, etc.), in there too. Stir it up a little [[I just use my finger), and sit the bowl near where the problem is. The fruit flies will be attracted to it, land on the surface, and can't get out. You'll be rid of them in no time.

We had this problem before and thought we had it taken care of. Obviously not. I know the access point to the house and bought Quikcrette to seal but I want them gone first. The poison is supposed to make them run for the outdoors.

The only funny thing, if you can call it that, is that they come up from the fruit cellar and eat my Mom's shamrock plant like it's salad. Gourmet rats apparently.

I am squimish, I guess I'll bite the bullet and bring in a service to trap.

Thanks for advice on electronic gizmos. Once this infestation is gone I'll try this as a preventative measure.

Right you are Gaz, Our cats lived long and prospered. One lived to 22 yrs and the other to 16. We are left with our ancient Puggle [[Beagle/ Pug Mix) The only things that we have found is that he won't eat is asparagus and okra.

I hesitate to bait in obvious areas because the dog would go for it.

Just as a side bar, our Puggle is a "rescue" dog. Rescue sounds so noble, doesn't it? In my day they were called strays that found a home.

Thanks all for your input. While I doubt anyone is sitting on the edge of their chairs regarding this vermin problem resolution I hope to report back with good news.

Reddog, regarding ants...sprinkle dried granulated garlic around your house foundation. It is cheap and earth friendly and most important it works.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Thanks Jimaz, I'll give it a try. Yes Mike M, location EEV. There is a rodent problem everywhere. City and burbs.
    I saw a program on the Discovery Channel recently that said on average in any given city, you are no more than 6 feet away from a rat.

Thanks for the garlic tip, sumas.

We have ants only when it's extremely cold, oddly. They burrow up right through a linoleum floor. I had been blocking their access with epoxy but maybe I can get some garlic under that floor and stop the problem at its root.

Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants [[Robert Sullivan, 2005) is a well written, readable history of rats in New York City. Many of the same circumstances, conditions, and results occur here in Detroit.

http://www.amazon.com/Rats-Observati...7811694&sr=1-2

RE: Ants, Borax sprinkled around the foundation or their access point will do the job and as far as I can tell pets aren't attracted to it.

Re: Ants...how about an AntEater? Sorry, just some Flu/Ear-ache humor [[darn kids keep infecting me!!)

Erie&Sumas , Thanks for the tips. I have done the Vineger, Salt, and Baking soda down the drain deal.It worked till Halloween. I have found Fruit Flys don't like salt.Which could be bad for tthem , and might make me cut back on it.I have used everything on Rats, Mice, and Etc.I like glue traps. No harm to my DOG.

Gaz is right, Borax works extremely well for ants.

Back to rats. I think I will seal the critter hole and have a vermin company come in and trap them and then remove the traps. A little expensive but as I mentioned I am squimish.

Thanks all, for advice. Too wierd that I have to battle this problem.

Critter problems affect us all. rats, mice, deer, opposums and racoons to name a few. Not to forget bugs. Always appreciate comments and help from forumers.

To chase them away, try mothballs. Just dont touch those stinky bastards, they are powerful.

As soon as you get a nice white snow cover, get out first thing in the morning and look for the trails. A wide body path with the narrow tail path within. Find where they have their little "rat highways" which they stay to quite regularly. If you want to trap, thats where you put them. They love to skirt perimeters, so watch around the edge of the house, garage and fences.

They are smart like crows, so good luck picking them off with a pellet gun. Youll need a straight shooting repeater, a good eye - and to be much quicker than the rat.

A big part of this rat problem comes from the two neighbors behind me. Strange, they maintain their homes and front yards but the backyards are a wilderness host for vermin.

Today, my huband insists on sealing their tunnel. The ingress is where a slab foundation addition adjoins the original house. I wanted to get rid of them first but I'll go with the flow. Any dead vermin in the house he gets to dispose of.

I am kicking myself because I went to the hardware yesterday for assorted items and forgot to look for electronic gizmos that were recommended.

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast