Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: POLL: What is the highest completed degree you hold?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Post-Doctoral

0 0%
  • Doctorate/PhD

6 15.38%
  • Masters

10 25.64%
  • Bachelors

13 33.33%
  • Associates

4 10.26%
  • Trade School Certificate

4 10.26%
  • High School Diploma

2 5.13%
  • No Degree/High School Uncomplete

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default POLL: What is the highest completed degree you hold?

I'm just curious to see the highest completed degree the people on DetroitYes hold.

lilpup Guest

Experience trumps degrees.

Stosh Guest

And it's truly telling that the poll maker couldn't bother to post his/her own qualifications...

Sludgedaddy Guest

There are many who are both Medical Doctors and avid hunters, but still can't skin a goddamn rabbit!

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    And it's truly telling that the poll maker couldn't bother to post his/her own qualifications...
    I have a bachelor's in Finance, and will complete my second bachelor's degree next semester [[Accounting). I am also an EMT [[trade certificate). How about yourself sir?

-Tahleel

What a strange poll and to what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    What a strange poll and to what purpose?
    No purpose but to fulfill my curiosity.

-Tahleel

Default Degree

I received a Bachelors Degree in Industrial management with a major in Accounting from Lawrence tech in 1970.

Stosh Guest

I'll echo the post by Ravine in the other thread, It's none of your business. Just sayin'.

Wall Street's Naked Swindle gives an interesting perspective on how those with the greatest academic credentials sometimes create more problems than they solve.

In my experience, the most successful academics have been the most humble. I have always admired their contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Let me give you a scenario. You are looking for a person to fill a position as a _________. You have two applications before you.

Applicant one: Has a certifiacte/degree in related field. "Experienced" situations in the class or read about similar ones. Although he has no work experience, he has the knowledge and tools that would help him in the event that said situation happens.

Applicant two: Does not have experience. Who even pays for on the job training anymore?

Who would you hire? Neither have work experience. Applicant One would be easier to transition into the work force, than the Applicant Two who does not posses the knowledge or skills to communicate with fellow co-workers let alone do the job he's paid to do without making mistakes.

-Tahleel

Who even pays for on the job training anymore?
    India. That was their recipe for success for seizing our IT market.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I'll echo the post by Ravine in the other thread, It's none of your business. Just sayin'.
    It appears that, while the thread was being moved, my "None of your goddam business/Nice try" post fell outta the back of the U-Haul trailer.
    But, since I still believe that it is a totally appropriate response, I don't mind re-delivering it.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    Who would you hire?
    the one most willing to plunge their own toilet

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Education doesn't hurt you.

So realize, my degree would've been in Keypunch. Now there is a useful education. All it shows to anyone 35+ yrs later is that I spent that much money, for that many years, to prove that I could follow directions.

I dropped out to work the overtime required to help my employer at that time covert from hand-posting to "EDP." [[Ask me to read a paper tape punched in base 2! I was the best!)

I am of the "experience trumps degrees" mindset because you don't gain institutional memory, calloused hands, or a real capacity to think on your feet from a book or an instructor who has not left campus in years.

I'm 55 yrs old and presently work with a cross-section of ages, all with respectable levels of formal higher education. And I am still the go-to guru for our data processing.

The poll results is very much like a bell curve. Statistics for the win! I'm sure some people chose not to vote though.

-Tahleel

I would have thought the poll would be anonymous

I like the idea that experience trumps degrees. Sometimes that can be true. My anthropology degree was seemingly unrelated to any of the many jobs I had while working for a state department, yet, certain skills applicable to the field of study transferred very well to investigation methodology. After computers entered the field [[and yes, I do remember keypunch), I got quite good at many things computer, and became one of the office computer help experts. I was completely self-taught. One of the advantages to that was being able to speak plain English about the problems at hand. I don't understand computer tech language to this day.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I like the idea that experience trumps degrees. Sometimes that can be true. My anthropology degree was seemingly unrelated to any of the many jobs I had while working for a state department, yet, certain skills applicable to the field of study transferred very well to investigation methodology. After computers entered the field [[and yes, I do remember keypunch), I got quite good at many things computer, and became one of the office computer help experts. I was completely self-taught. One of the advantages to that was being able to speak plain English about the problems at hand. I don't understand computer tech language to this day.
    I'm convinced every industry's jargon is simply a front serving to isolate outsiders and protect insiders - much like how the church didn't want the common person to read the Bible and slave owners didn't want slaves to have educations.

Wow we got 4 doctors here? Well it'll be 5 five soon if all goes well with my Masters.... and I can find a good program some where

102 degrees i thought i was going to die

shout out to gazhekwe! not every day you meet another anthropologist. here, this is for you:

I have nearly 17 years experience in the automotive engineering field and I just obtained my Bachelor of Science Engineering Degree last year. I didn't see what all the fuss was about, school didn't teach me much of anything that I did not all ready learn on the job. I think it's bullshit that 90% of the HR people out there doing the hiring won't give a guy, like friends of mine that have 30 years of proven experience performing a technical task, a second look because they don't have some piece of paper. Why is it that companies like Chrysler and Ford raise the bar every few years and require entry level people to hold Master's and Doctorate's degrees, but still continue to perform poorly in the market place? With all that brainy talent on board you'd think they would have been able to forecast market trends better.

Quote: "you'd think they would have been able to forecast market trends better."

You'd think after years and years of requiring and hiring people with degrees that don't know one end of a screwdriver from another, and can't even change their own tire, that the car companies would realize they are a bad investment for their type of business.

CSquire, I know many people as well that would be and have been very beneficial to the big 3 and they had no chance of getting in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast