Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Shots Fired at Dearborn College

From the Fox News television channel;

"We don't want to alarm anyone, but there have been reports of multiple shots fired at Henry Ford Junior College in Dearborn, MI. Police are currently calling this an emergency. We will be updating this story as more information becomes available."

DetroitDad Guest

lilpup Guest

murder suicide - gunman shot his female [[ex?) friend then himself.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/BREAK...TrXDZ0QQQ.cspx

I'm at the north end of the UM-Dearborn campus. I have a bike path 20 yards from my office window that goes right to the HFCC campus, less than a quarter mile to the building where the shooting occurred.

We still have received no information from our campus safety department, despite helicopters flying overhead, news trucks around, and sirens. This is especially stupid given that there were news reports this morning about today being the second anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings. Maybe our campus didn't want to panic people, but I had to wonder what more nervous people here were thinking hearing all these sketchy news reports.

DetroitDad Guest

News is reporting the campus is on lock down. I'm not sure what that entails....

Breaking up is hard to do.

lilpup Guest

far, far too much of the domestic violence mentality in Michigan - one of the highest DV rates, highest rape rates, and lowest female equality pay rates in the country - not a great state for women

too bad since there are more women in the country than men

guess we should team up with the gays and whup some straight, male ass

One good thing is that this episode did not get National News Coverage

What we don't need is another "oh $hit" there goes Detroit again.

On the very sad side we lost a very promising young lady with talent. Why do people think that problems can be resolved with a gun?

What channels have you been watching?
    It made national news.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    far, far too much of the domestic violence mentality in Michigan - one of the highest DV rates, highest rape rates, and lowest female equality pay rates in the country - not a great state for women
    What's your source?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
    Why do people think that problems can be resolved with a gun?
    I ask this question all the time. Moreso, I want to know why all these suicidal maniacs have to kill someone else first before they do the world a favor by killing themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsuperfly View Post
    I'm sorry that the twit killed himself. I would have preferred that he was put in the general population at the penitentiary and let the inmates perform daily justice.
    Or better yet he could have just killed himself and left her out of his misery.

He must have wanted her to feel his pain. Nice guy heh?

http://www.freep.com/article/2009041.../90410051/1004

The killer was not her boyfriend.

Asia McGowan had attended Wayne State University before transferring to Henry Ford, where she had at least one class with Powell. Her father said the two were not dating.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    What's your source?
    forcible rape: FBI UCR 2007 - Michigan's rate is third highest following Alaska and New Mexico

pay inequality: Institute for Women's Policy Research - http://www.iwpr.org - The Economic Status of Women in Michigan - Michigan is 47th in pay inequality [[ratio of women's to men's earnings), up two spots from 49th in 2004

have to find again the domestic violence report, but basically the rate correlates with homicide, violent crime, and rape rates

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsuperfly View Post
    I've never understood the thought that if you want vengeance, are hurt some way, and want to regain your feelings of power, that you'd do that by killing your target.

Dead people don't suffer. Dead people don't understand the point you're trying to make or acquiesce to your delusions of superiority. They're dead!

I imagine its an empty vengeance. Its pointless.

I'm sorry that the twit killed himself. I would have preferred that he was put in the general population at the penitentiary and let the inmates perform daily justice.

You are speaking as a rational person would speak or act. Listening to the guys ranting on the internet it was pretty clear he had a mental illness. Mental illness is very high among people in that age group. Unfornately the young lady got caught up in his world.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I ask this question all the time. Moreso, I want to know why all these suicidal maniacs have to kill someone else first before they do the world a favor by killing themselves?

My best guess, the guy just doesn't have the guts to pull the trigger on himself initially, but if he does something so hideous he puts himself in a position where he almost has to do it or he's facing a life of hell. Remember its easier to shoot someone else rather than yourself.

To a much lesser, less extreme extent normal people act the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    You are speaking as a rational person would speak or act. Listening to the guys ranting on the internet it was pretty clear he had a mental illness. Mental illness is very high among people in that age group. Unfornately the young lady got caught up in his world.
    You got it, first. Unfortunately, unless your life has been impacted directly or indirectly by mental illness [[my brother is a paranoid schizophrenic), it's difficult to understand this for a lot of people. Look at what happened in the Colin Ferguson incident - the courts actually allowed the guy to represent himself!! If you saw any footage of that trial with him acting as his own defense attorney, you can see that there's a long way to go in mental illness being understood by the masses, let alone the legal system. That incident may have been a few years ago, but I don't think much progress has been made.