Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default William Milliken park on riverfront

Does anyone know when the William Milliken State Park part of the riverwalk is to open?

Where is the park to be located? Bill Milliken, one of Michigan's best governors. As a member of the International Joint Commission, one of the foremost protectors of all of the Great Lakes, including the Pretty Great Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Where is the park to be located? Bill Milliken, one of Michigan's best governors. As a member of the International Joint Commission, one of the foremost protectors of all of the Great Lakes, including the Pretty Great Lake.
    It is part of the Riverwalk starting at the carousel.

I'm disappointed that Gerald Ford didn't get a park named after him in his lifetime.

the Grand Rapids Airport is....

According to a Free Press article from October 23, 2009, the park was dedicated and opened the day before. I didn't hear a word about this and haven't had an opportunity to drive by the park during the day to see if it's open. However, if they dedicated it with a ceremony I expect it to now be opened.
    Last edited by royce; November-19-09 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo

I was there yesterday, still not open. I was really surpised I entered the riverwalk by the carousel and it is still fenced off.

I remember reading that the park would NOT be open after the dedication ceremony, so that the new vegetation had more time to take root and grow without interruption... or something to that effect.

Bill Milliken, Gerald Ford.....from the days when Republicans were not all raving lunatics. I actually voted for them

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Bill Milliken, Gerald Ford.....from the days when Republicans were not all raving lunatics. I actually voted for them
    lol @ that......

Walked by yesterday ... still not open, although it looked complete, with even a few flowers growing. Lots of people on the Riverwalk admiring the hazy sunset over the bridge.

I'm not in favor of naming things or places after people. I've always said that if I was ever involved in founding a town, I'd put in the Charter irrevocably that no publicly owned or funded street, place, building or project could be named after a person.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm not in favor of naming things or places after people. I've always said that if I was ever involved in founding a town, I'd put in the Charter irrevocably that no publicly owned or funded street, place, building or project could be named after a person.
    Good idea, except I'd change "person" to "politician until after he/she has deceased". Think of how many streets [[all publicly owned and funded) and cities are named after people. We'd end up being like USSR: "Elementary School #265", etc.