Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dylan at the Fox

Did anyone else here go to the concert tonight [[Friday)?

I was a bit disappointed because I paid quite a bit for my tickets and I was unable to see anything because everyone was standing up. I am short and couldn't see anything but people's backs. I haven't gone to concerts in years because of this standing up through the whole concert thing, but I expected better at the Fox. The sound was pretty mushy too.

Sorry to hear about the sight lines gazhekwe. I thought it was a great concert. I really enjoyed it.

I loved the show, but then again I'm 5' 9" tall!

I liked what I heard pretty well, but with Dylan, you have to hear the words and it was so mushy I just couldn't make them out. I did get a glimpse or two and I think he was having a wonderful time.

I remember hearing a story about his high school years, when he wanted to be a rock star. He was way ahead of his time. I think it was 1958 or 9. He and his band were to play for a sock hop at his high school and they set up with these big speakers, such as were available at that time, and he had electric guitars and turned everything up really loud. There was a lot of feedback and apparently so much distortion you couldn't really understand the songs. I guess the kids hated it and he was really mad, hurt feelings. Well, his acoustic stuff went over better, but it isn't dance music. Tonight reminded me of that story because here I was, couldn't see and couldn't make out the words, and I was disappointed. But I could tell others were having a great time. Two sets of people in front of me left before the break, though. Didn't help, I still couldn't see.

Could you understand the words coming out of his mouth or was it all just gibberish?

I couldn't understand the words. It didn't sound like gibberish, I knew he was saying something, and of course if I recognized the song I could make out some of it. My husband thinks where we were, on the left side in row Q, we were getting a lot of echo from the back, and of course he had reverb on his voice, too. I thought his voice sounded very well.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I couldn't understand the words. It didn't sound like gibberish, I knew he was saying something, and of course if I recognized the song I could make out some of it. My husband thinks where we were, on the left side in row Q, we were getting a lot of echo from the back, and of course he had reverb on his voice, too. I thought his voice sounded very well.
    We were on the main floor, his Oscar was right in front of us, 15//20' away as was Mr. Dylan. Sigh, enjoying him while I can.

How much were tickets?

$80 each. I thought I should at least be able to see the stage. I got tickets as close as I could to the front.

gazhewke-that's $20 from Zimnmy's Cafe in Hibbing;
    http://www.zimmys.com/giftshop_c174750.html

Thank you for the virtual gift, J.

I'm playing a Dylan CD now.

Went last night. I was pretty disappointed. From the balcony you couldn't make out any words. I mean, the guy is a legend and the fact that he's still touring is amazing. But half the time I could tell what song he was playing until he hit the chorus because the music was revamped, jam band versions of the song and the grunting vocals were something like a cross between Howlin' Wolf and Professor Longhair. I'm glad I went, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't that great for me, personally. Though it was nice to hear "Ballad of a Thin Man" and "The Man Like Me."

That was my experience with the sound as well, although we attributed it to a bad echo off the back wall. My husband thought maybe the balcony would be better. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't.

I loved that drummer though. Awesome percussion, which is my favorite part of any music. I didn't need to see him to feel him.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; November-07-09 at 02:28 PM.

Yeah, I balked at the high ticket prices they were asking. Same with Tom Waits, Bjork, Leonard Cohen.

Right, eno. I've decided if I won't be able to see the stage no matter how close I can get, I won't bother with concerts any more. Too expensive for just the sound.

I think standing up in front of other people is plain rude, but I guess I come from another planet.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Yeah, I balked at the high ticket prices they were asking. Same with Tom Waits, Bjork, Leonard Cohen.
    That Cohen show was pretty amazing, by contrast to Dylan. Then again, it also was twice the price.

Bob and the band were fantastic as always! I knew all the songs he played so understanding the lyrics were not a problem. A great night from an American Icon.

I've decided if I won't be able to see the stage no matter how close I can get, I won't bother with concerts any more. Too expensive for just the sound.

I think standing up in front of other people is plain rude, but I guess I come from another planet.
    Gaz, you need to go to a place like this. Small and people stay seated. Easy to see and hear:

http://www.theark.org/

If you like folk music but don't want to drive to Ann Arbor, there's a cozy performance space at I-275/ 6 Mile Rd. called the Trinity House Theatre. Here's the details. http://www.trinityhouse.org/upcoming_events.html

I like the Ark a lot. Too bad Dylan wasn't there. I guess he would have had to stay a couple of weeks to fit everybody in, though, and would have blown all our ears to Kingdom Come.

Thanks for the reminder about Trinity House, too. There is one in Birmingham as well, MAMA's Coffeehouse at the B'ham Unitarian Church. I try to choose one place from FolksLikeUs.org every couple of months.

I seen Dylan at Cobo some years ago, great show. He is truly an American Icon, and we are lucky he is still touring.

We were walking around after the concert, waiting for the traffic to clear up a bit, and around back there is a fenced in area. There was a big Prevost RV with two slideouts back there, dark, and three semis getting loaded with equipment. About twenty or so people were leaning on the fence, I guess waiting for Dylan to come out. That probably would have been fun to see, but we decided to head on out of there. Those Prevosts run a couple million these days.

Ravine Guest

Bob's a favorite of mine. I love the guy.

But please tell me that he's gotten rid of that little Frito Bandito mustache.

Took my youngest son to see Bob Dylan a few years back. I think it was the aforementioned Cobo Arena show.

The boy had just started listening heavily top Dylan. I bought the cheap seats. Just tried looking for the ticket stubs for prices. No luck.

We had seats in the lower ring. A very nice woman usher sat us in the front row of the first ring.. Had a perfect view of the stage and were able to put our feet up on the rail without disturbing anyone.

The kid was a little disappointed because many of the songs he knew, or thought he knew, were reworked. But a good show.

What I could not believe was that people were willing to pay top dollar to stand on the main floor to watch the show. I at least expected to see folding chairs for the privilege of the price. Reminded me of St. Andrew's Hall. And the late-comers, unbelievable.

Well, they might as well not bother with seats if no one is going to sit down. I really don't get that. Went to see Dick Dale at the Magic Stick, and couldn.t see anything then either. There were no seats except around the edges, They need to get the standing crowd in back of the sitting crowd, not the other way around.

At Friday's concert, someone came in at 8:15 and sat behind us, in the middle of the row, natuarally. Of course they wanted to know if this was the first song [[no), when did he start [[7:30), what did they miss [[no comment, thank goodness). Manners are sure different that what I learned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast