Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What is your favorite summertime activity?

It’s the Tiger’s opening day. Which means summer weather is only a few weeks away. What is your favorite summertime activity? Kayaking the Detroit River works for me.

Belle Isle beach or Riverfront. My aunt also likes to have picnincs in the park across the street from her, so I always look foward to those. Also, the same aunt, decks out her garage every summer into a party room so that every weekend there is a party.

Not so much as an activity - as inactivity! Sitting by the shore of Lake Erie with a good book. Listening to the waves. Watching the pleasure boats roaming the lake. Watching the kids swimming in the lake, and playing on the shore in the sand. Having family and friends over for picnics.

Those are my favorite things to do. Don't always get to do them because of other pressing issues - but it is what I enjoy most about summer.

Petoskey stone hunting along the shore of Lake Michigan and the Cherry Festival in Traverse City. Also eating a slice of cherry pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...Yummm!!

Check out my customized DYes profile to see what I mean. I hope to post some old pics that I took up there at our cottage in NW lower MI, in my photo album once I get my scanner operating.

ccbatson Guest

Getting the old classic cars out of mothballs and heading to Woodward on a nice dry day.

Picnics and drives to Belle Isle and Kensington. Travels to Ludington and the Lake Michigan shoreline. Visits to Dow Gardens in Midland.

In my younger days before I retired and moved west, it was heading out to an Oakland county lake in pursuit of old man largemouth bass. A few perch thrown onto the stringer were a bonus. On infrequent occasions tying into a bowfin [[dogfish) provided a great battle between line and fish, although the species is a junk fish. My favorite lakes were Pontiac Lake and Lower Pettibone Lake in Highland Township.

I'd frequently head out at sundown and fish all night. Just me, the stars, my thermos, and the bullfrogs. Heaven on earth. I miss it.

I noticed that you did not mention the State Bird, aka mosquitos....

I like to explore the woods. Nowadays I take along a GPS unit so I can map the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I noticed that you did not mention the State Bird, aka mosquitos....
    Nah. There was some terrible stuff called "6-12" mosquito repellant that I used. Kept the critters away.

ccbatson Guest

According to some on Dyes, we should all be running for shelter in fear of those mosquitos.

Ah, yes! Oily stuff, that 6-12, but it seemed to work OK. Kept some people away, too. Another thing that helped was copious amounts of Strohs.
    Mosquitos never kept me from having a good day or night in the great outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    According to some on Dyes, we should all be running for shelter in fear of those mosquitoes.
    Those Al Gore mosquitoes, what was he thinking ? Shame on Al Gore for unleashing those terrible tyrants on our shores. He, [[Al Gore), should be quartered and posted for all to see. Al Gore is the antithesis of all humanity. AL GOOORRRE
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-11-09 at 05:00 PM.

Getting together with me mates and riding 4-wheelers on the ATV trail systems throughout the state. Oh yes and fishing, lot's of fishing on as many as I can, of the ten thousand + inland lakes. Don't worry Ray, I'll keep the Bass moving for ya'

LodgeDodger Guest

Gardening
    Lots of parties at the lake
    A cold beer on a hot day

Copious amounts of beer applied directly to my gullet, coinciding with a baseball game...or horseshoes. Camping up in Caseville at Sleeper State park is always a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Don't worry Ray, I'll keep the Bass moving for ya'

Heh, heh! Thanks, tash. Keep 'em out of those lilly pads for me...I sure lost a few nice ones in those plants.

ccbatson Guest

This one [[DDT) is a liberal boondogle that preceded Al Gore. Although he used it as a model for his manmade global warming hoax.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    This one [[DDT) is a liberal boondogle that preceded Al Gore. Although he used it as a model for his manmade global warming hoax.
    Really...Why must you bring this bullshit into every thread??? There were no politcal remifications until you opened your mouth...

ccbatson Guest

I choose to bring it up...I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Really...Why must you bring this bullshit into every thread??? There were no politcal remifications until you opened your mouth...
    d.mcc It's all good, this thead is about summertime joy, and happiness. Some people get that through politics. I'd rather go for a bike ride.

ccbatson Guest

Well said Rajdet...bike rides are cool too [[recumbant especially)

Saw a Tiger game over the weekend.

i enjoy throwing snowballs at unsuspecting passers by....

Concerts at Chene Park and other venues. I love music.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast