Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default ATTN postcard nerds: UA card DOES exist

Sorry, know this appeals to only a select few on here.
    About two years ago there was some discussion on the ol' DY about whether there were any United Artists Building and/or theater postcards from the 1920s. I finally tracked one down. Shows only the office tower and not the marquee, unfortunately. Will post it on my site under the United Artists postcard section in a few minutes.

http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/ua/postcards
    Last edited by buildingsofdetroit; November-05-09 at 06:29 PM.

GREAT site. Thank you!!!

Nice find, from a fellow post card fanatic.

My grandmother just gave me a box of hundreds of old postcards from 1908-1915, some from Europe, and many of which had Michigan and Detroit scenes. I told her some of them might be valuable [[could they be?), but she didn't care. Like the stamps I collect, these postcards are fascinating glimpses into the past.
    Last edited by psubliminal; November-06-09 at 09:15 PM.

Lorax Guest

Ok postcard nerds and geeks [[and I include myself in that), I have quite a few cards on Detroit, which I collect.

Here's a few for your enjoyment:

Notice in the one of Sanders, there's Fred on the right, getting your ice cream soda ready!
    Last edited by Lorax; November-06-09 at 09:44 PM.

Lorax Guest

Here's one of the old Pontchartrain Hotel's Flamingo Room, circa 1918. The back of it reads: "This is where I'm writing this postcard"

[quote=Lorax;87075]Ok postcard nerds and geeks [[and I include myself in that), I have quite a few cards on Detroit, which I collect.

Here's a few for your enjoyment:/quote]

Wow, Lorax. You win the prize. I've never seen that Mad-Len or the interior of the Hotel Cadillac before. Mind if I steal those two grabs for the site? [[Can credit you however you like, "From the collection of ... " or "Courtesy of ... ")

Great stuff folks.

Is the Orpheum Theatre what was later named the Schubert-Lafayette?

Where exactly was Sanders 'Palace of Sweets'?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Great stuff folks.

Is the Orpheum Theatre what was later named the Schubert-Lafayette?

Where exactly was Sanders 'Palace of Sweets'?
    Don't about the Schubert part, but it was the Lafayette later in life - southeast corner Lafayette & Shelby.

Sander's was on the west side of Woodward, a couple of doors north of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Don't about the Schubert part, but it was the Lafayette later in life - southeast corner Lafayette & Shelby.

I've got some photos up: http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/shu

I've got more history that I just need to find the time to sit down and write.

Opened at 153 W. Lafayette on Sept. 7, 1914, as a vaudeville theater. It switched to legitimate theater and changed its name to the Lafayette in 1925. It was known as the Shubert-Lafayette from 1956 until it closed May 9, 1964. It was razed that year.

I'm thinking that the interior of Sander's Palace of Sweets was taken in the original location, right on the corner of Michigan and Woodward, replaced by the Majestic Bldg.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/imag...rs&select1=all

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    I'm thinking that the interior of Sander's Palace of Sweets was taken in the original location, right on the corner of Michigan and Woodward, replaced by the Majestic Bldg.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/imag...rs&select1=all
    I don't think so. The Majestic opened in 1896, and the land was cleared by early 1895. I have never seen a postcard of that style postmarked that early, but then again, it's not impossible. Usually those types of cards are postmarked around 1900-1915.

I just thought about that since I checked the dates of the Majestic, and you're most probably right. I searched for that image at the LOC/DPC, but can't find it. Anyway, it gave me an excuse to post a link to the original, short lived Sander's.

I don't know the date of the post card, but I grabbed a 1914 phone book and it lists Sanders at 141 Woodward. Sanborn map shows it as the first building north of the Majestic.

I don't know the date of the post card, but I grabbed a 1914 phone book and it lists Sanders at 141 Woodward. Sanborn map shows it as the first building north of the Majestic.
    Where do you get those wonderful toys?

Bookstores, eBay, antique stores, internets.