Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Book Building and Tower renovation

sorry, couldn't find the thread for this!

Below is a quote from this week's Model D Media article. In the original thread, people were wondering about the rental rates and what not.

"Dobek says that Key spent three years researching potential developments and the Detroit housing market. For tenants, they are targeting the 80,000 downtown employees by offering rentals at a rate less than the suburbs -- along with the chance to potentially ditch a car payment. "There is a lack of affordable housing [[in Detroit)," she says. "There is an excess of low-income and high-end."

Detroit has a better chance of electing a white mayor than this project has of actually getting off the ground.

Get back to me in 2015 and I'll be shocked if you tell me Book Tower is no longer standing vacant.

crawford Guest

Model D is hardly a reliable news source.

And the Book Tower has a more likely chance of being demolished than renovated in today's economic climate.

wrong and wrong

Default Recent news about the re-development

Here are some passages from the article in todays newspaper.

"Detroit City Councilman Kenneth Cockrel Jr. and the Green Initiative Task Force played a major role in helping Key Investment Group, according to both sides. And the potential deal still is going forward, said Rick Bowers, an aide to Cockrel."

"All of this is happening because this is green; otherwise, we would not have gotten the financing," Dobek said.

" Construction will begin this summer, with completion in three years. The first units are to be available in mid-2011"

"Key Investment spent three years researching potential developments and the Detroit housing market, Dobek said."

http://detnews.com/article/20100120/...ng-coming-soon

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    Here are some passages from the article in todays newspaper.

" Construction will begin this summer, with completion in three years. The first units are to be available in mid-2011"

http://detnews.com/article/20100120/...ng-coming-soon
    I think John Ferchill's quote in this article says it all about the likelihood of this project ever getting off the ground:

"John Ferchill, the Cleveland developer behind the $200 million renovation of the Westin Book Cadillac just down the street from the Book Building and Tower, isn't convinced the project is for real. 'I think the deal is kaput,' said Ferchill, who said Tuesday he was approached several weeks ago by someone -- he wouldn't say who -- asking if he might be interested in 'taking on the project.'"

Think about it. Ferchill's quote has me thiinking, why hasn't work started on it already if it's for real? Why are the utilities off? Why wait until the summer before doing any work? Do you know what the monthly interest rate is on the $10+ million they bought the building for? I think they only bought it to try to flip it to Ferchill for a big profit and now Ferchill is making them sweat. They should just put some retrofits in it and try to rerent it as office space so they don't lose their shirts.

Well, I will at least say that it is positive just to hear more about this project. About Mid-December, when nothing was heard for quite a while, I had all but written this project off, and a couple weeks ago, didn't think I would hear of it again... I am not going to hold my breath, for obvious reasons, but I don't plan on being overly hopeful about it until I see a construction fence on Washington Boulevard. But it is good to hear more, nonetheless, a step in the right direction.

How does "affordable housing" help the revitalization effort started by building a luxury hotel next door? Once again, it seems like this city has no real concerted effort to try urban planning --- even if this project comes to fruition. Why would I buy a luxury condo with a ridiculous markup, when I could live right next door for less than half the price?

Let's not forget the old adage... location! location! location! I completely agree with Dave, I think these guys are trying to flip it to Ferchill

Let's not get our panties all in a twist. Just wait 2-3 weeks and see if any more information is really forthcoming, as they claim. Sure would be nice to see this project take place. The fact that they stress that it is the "green" factor that is making it possible is interesting.

Wonder what the other buildings could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    How does "affordable housing" help the revitalization effort started by building a luxury hotel next door? Once again, it seems like this city has no real concerted effort to try urban planning --- even if this project comes to fruition. Why would I buy a luxury condo with a ridiculous markup, when I could live right next door for less than half the price?

Let's not forget the old adage... location! location! location! I completely agree with Dave, I think these guys are trying to flip it to Ferchill
    Well... starting at $800 a month is hardly "affordable." Right next door at Washington Square, the apartments start for the same amount, maybe less... they said they want to compete with the suburbs pricewise, when in the suburbs you can rent a one bedroom for $550-$600 easy, with a nice two bedroom for $750-$800... so this is hardly setting out to do what they want. However, this will in no way be as nice as the residences at the Book-Cadillac. They are far nicer, the very few actually being rented now. The Book Tower and Building won't be cheaply built, but it certainly won't be as nice as the Book Cadillac.

As for their other buildings, here is a list of large viable downtown structures in need of renovations:

David Whitney Building
    David Stott Building
    The Leland
    Cadillac Tower
    Free Press Building

Feel free to add to this list... it did not sound like they were building anew so it will likely be vacant structures... Seeing as the Cadillac Tower was recently in foreclosure, I would not be suprised if this was one of them, but who knows... The Leland is owned by Michael Higgins, and seeing the ride he took the state land bank on for the Farwell [[which should have sold for $1 million or less given it's condition), The Leland would not be cheap... there are also two buildings [[I do not know the names) at the corner of Adams and Park, across from the Kales Building, that could be targets... one is probably 8-10 stories, the other is probably 12-14.

There are also a few other structures, whose viability may be questioned by some:

Metropolitan Building
    Wurlitzer Building

Rumors have swirled about the condition and fate of these two buildings, and there are probably others too.
    Last edited by esp1986; January-20-10 at 01:14 PM.

I haven't found a thing on Key Investment -- it's one of those far-too-common names -- and I am curious just how legit the company is

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I haven't found a thing on Key Investment -- it's one of those far-too-common names -- and I am curious just how legit the company is
    From the State of Michigan website, shows they were formed just over a month before they announced their plans initially on Oct. 29:

Searched for: KEY INVESTMENT GROUP, INC.
    ID Num: 02612N
    Entity Name: KEY INVESTMENT GROUP, INC.
    Type of Entity: Domestic Profit Corporation Resident Agent: ROSEMARIE DOBEK
    Registered Office Address: 19459 SOUTH HIGHLITE CLINTON TWP MI 48035 Mailing Address: MI
    Formed Under Act Number[[s): 284-1972
    Incorporation/Qualification Date: 9-17-2009
    Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN
    Number of Shares: 60,000
    Year of Most Recent Annual Report:
    Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors:

2 comments....

"Why would I buy a luxury condo with a ridiculous markup, when I could live right next door for less than half the price?"

Last time I checked a map the Book Tower/Building are nearly 2 blocks away from the Book-Cadillac.... hardly what I would call "next door"....

"They should just put some retrofits in it and try to rerent it as office space so they don't lose their shirts."

... and rent it to whom?? They lost all their tenents to other buildings downtown... and the downtown occupancy rate is at 70%. In this economy who's going to move into the Class C space of the Book Tower/Building with that much available office space left downtown?? ... certainly not the former tenants who left because the electricity was shut off!

Two things will happen when hell freezes over:

[[1) The Lions will be in the Super Bowl.

[[2) Somebody will renovate the Book Building.

And with global warming breathing down our necks per Gore, I don't think hell is in any danger of even a cold snap.

Somebody up there referred to somebody buying the Book for $10 million. Get serious. I could have bought the thing in 1979 for $300,000 from Travelers Insurance, which was foreclosing it. It was about 60% percent occupied at the time. I wasn't slightly interested at that price, or any price, and neither were the 100 others who passed on the deal except for John Lambrecht.

No insane person would pay $10 million for that monstrosity, much less anybody who could spell "cat." The Book has been in financial trouble for at least 40 years and will continue in its present state for all eternity, or until it crumbles to dust, whichever occurs first.

The Farwell worth $1 million? Whoever believes that is a good candidate to buy the Book.

Those buildings are not assets; they are liabilities.

I dunno. For being a nobody company, they certainly have a lot of project details in that article in the News. Usually when some no name company comes along and announces a renovation plan, there aren't many details. I'm cautiously optimistic. All we can all do is be patient and see what happens in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I dunno. For being a nobody company, they certainly have a lot of project details in that article in the News. Usually when some no name company comes along and announces a renovation plan, there aren't many details. I'm cautiously optimistic. All we can all do is be patient and see what happens in a few weeks
    Agreed, we can't hold our breath, as history has taught us not to, but we can at least be optimistic... if it is true however, they could be bringing John Ferchill into the fold on this project, so we will have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    "They should just put some retrofits in it and try to rerent it as office space so they don't lose their shirts."

... and rent it to whom?? They lost all their tenents to other buildings downtown... and the downtown occupancy rate is at 70%. In this economy who's going to move into the Class C space of the Book Tower/Building with that much available office space left downtown?? ... certainly not the former tenants who left because the electricity was shut off!
    Obviously, the Book is not going to compete with newer buildings like 1001 Woodward or the Comerica Tower, but I've talked to a few former tenants who said they'd glady move back if the building was retrofitted with things like a properly working elevator and the rents weren't higher than they were before. The Book is a very unique building and it does have a following of special interest type tenants. Even after all the nonsense that went on, a lot of tenants stayed, but were forced out because the power was shutoff. The tenants even pooled together their money to pay the electricity bill, but DTE would only accept payment from the landlord who refused, as I was told.

As skeptical as we all are of this project, I am too, but if what they are saying is true, I have a hard time believing they would spend 3 years planning this if they were not serious about it... just a revelation I had, but once again, time will tell.

As the regional manager for Washington Square next store, I can tell you that the building hasn't seen this high of occupancy in years. I truly believe as long as an apartment building is well managed, marketed and isn't falling apart it will do at least OK even in our current economic climate.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    As the regional manager for Washington Square next store, I can tell you that the building hasn't seen this high of occupancy in years. I truly believe as long as an apartment building is well managed, marketed and isn't falling apart it will do at least OK even in our current economic climate.
    What are the rates you are charging over there??

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    As skeptical as we all are of this project, I am too, but if what they are saying is true, I have a hard time believing they would spend 3 years planning this if they were not serious about it... just a revelation I had, but once again, time will tell.
    This is what gets to me. If they spent three years planning a renovation before buying this building, why would they want to wait almost a year after buying it before starting the work? Especially since they're gonna be paying $100,000+ a month in mortgage payments.plus property taxes, which is what? Another $50,000 a month? Three years is a lot of time for planning and getting the money in place. If a developer pays that kind of money for a building, they're normally going to send in the work crews right away for it to get done so it can get rented. An even smarter developer would rent half the building out and do the renovations on the other half so at least there's some kind of income coming in. What these guys are doing doesn't make any sense if they really are developers and not land speculators. Even a very unconventional developer like Ferchill said it was a wash.

I'm sorry, but there's just no way I can see how anyone can get optimistic about this when I hear of urban explorers claiming they're still getting in there and there's no work being done on it. In fact, I'm kinda of pissed because Ferchill did make an offer on it and was the most likely guy to make something happen with it and would probably have work crews in there by now, but then these guys swooped in and now they're just sitting on it like the speculators of other vacant downtown buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    This is what gets to me. If they spent three years planning a renovation before buying this building, why would they want to wait almost a year after buying it before starting the work? Especially since they're gonna be paying $100,000+ a month in mortgage payments.plus property taxes, which is what? Another $50,000 a month? Three years is a lot of time for planning and getting the money in place. If a developer pays that kind of money for a building, they're normally going to send in the work crews right away for it to get done so it can get rented. An even smarter developer would rent half the building out and do the renovations on the other half so at least there's some kind of income coming in. What these guys are doing doesn't make any sense if they really are developers and not land speculators. Even a very unconventional developer like Ferchill said it was a wash.

I'm sorry, but there's just no way I can see how anyone can get optimistic about this when I hear of urban explorers claiming they're still getting in there and there's no work being done on it. In fact, I'm kinda of pissed because Ferchill did make an offer on it and was the most likely guy to make something happen with it and would probably have work crews in there by now, but then these guys swooped in and now they're just sitting on it like the speculators of other vacant downtown buildings.
    Well, there is not much they can do to the exterior in the winter, so once it warms up, it will take a month or two to have inspections and get plans finalized and possibly do some cleanup work prior to construction... and I don't know where you are getting a year from... if they bought the building in December, then it would be only six months, and we do not know for sure if they actually own it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Well, there is not much they can do to the exterior in the winter, so once it warms up, it will take a month or two to have inspections and get plans finalized and possibly do some cleanup work prior to construction... and I don't know where you are getting a year from... if they bought the building in December, then it would be only six months, and we do not know for sure if they actually own it yet.
    The wikopedia article had said: In October 2009, Key Investment Group of Clinton Township, Michigan announced plans to for a renovation that would transform the building into 260 environmentally sustainable apartments and retail. The investors also revealed that they were looking to purchase the building from AKNO Enterprises of Vancouver in a matter of weeks after the announcement.[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_Tower#cite_note-1

Did they buy it in early November? Why would they announce it if it wasn't close to closing date? 8, 7, or 6 months is still way too long before even getting a cleaning crew in there. How did they know they can get 260 apartments and retail in there if the plans weren't finalized? There had to be some kind of analysis done on the building prior to the announcement to know they could get 260 apartments in there. At $10+ million, I'm sure they would have had the inspections conditional prior them firming up the offer. What sort of inspections are we talking about here that would take longer than a couple days? Who's gonna spend $10+ million on a vacant building unless they know all this stuff beforehand? It's not like buying a building for a few hundred thousand in back taxes or even a buck. Their story just doesn't add up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast