Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit on Man vs. Food

I caught an episode of Man vs. Food early this am on the Travel Channel, and it was about Detroit!
    If you're unfamiliar with this show, a guy named Adam Richman takes on food challenges like eating the world's hottest chili.
    He did a couple segments in the actual city of Detroit. He went to American and Lafayette and also to Slows. He and a group of area people then attempted to each the world's largest burger cooked at Mallie's Sports Bar in Southgate.
    Some pretty nice pics of the city in this epi.
    Here's a link to the episode extras. There's a link in there called 'Side of City' where he visits the Heidelberg Project, as well as a short slideshow at the American. Man vs. Food-Detroit
    It will repeat on Sat Nov. 7 at 11am and Thurs. Nov 12 at 7pm.
    Last edited by jcole; November-05-09 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks JC. I'll set the DVR for the next airing.
    Last edited by zitro; November-05-09 at 10:11 AM.

Z, check out the Vlog on the site I linked.

Very good views of Detroit. I,ve been to mallies but I have never eaten there. Maybe I should now.

i watched it last night and gotta tell ya, that GIANT burger looked really nasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    i watched it last night and gotta tell ya, that GIANT burger looked really nasty!
    That thing looked horrible. I don't know how they managed to choke down as much as they did. But the other food looked okay, and of course, the coney's and Slows looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I saw it too. And, I agree. It looked very dry. Actually, it looked like a display or prop that should not have been eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    I saw it too. And, I agree. It looked very dry. Actually, it looked like a display or prop that should not have been eaten.
    It had the oddest color. It was shaped like a giant hockey puck, but the color was a dull brown black on the outside and an old dried up mud grey on the inside.

I thought the burger looked like a giant devils food cake. That sandwich at Slows looked tasty.

Mallie's Web site has the promo.

http://www.malliesbar.com/

Saw the episode last night. To a national audience, this was a different view of Detroit.

Hooray! I'm currently working on a TV pilot with one of the camera guys who shot all of the footage from that episode. I thought it was mildly appropriate that it aired for the first time on his 38th birthday.

Seen it too. Thought it was cool to see a couple of real Detroit favorites. I almost wanna stray and try American. I will give Slows another try after their expansion news and appearing on Man v Food.

The burger from Mallie's looked awful because it was from a suburban establishment.