Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Indian Village

Default Indian Village

I started a thread a few months back about moving back to Michigan and buying a house in Indian Village. The time has finally come, as we are closing on the house tomorrow. I am nervous yet very excited, I have met 20-25 neighbors in the times I have been there and I have to say I am amazed at there willingness to help and there enthusiasm for the neighborhood. Only time will tell if this turns out to be a good decision.

Wow! We live in Rhills and we still don't know our neighbors behind us and diagonal from us and its been over a year.

Congratulations Winkler!

A neighbor from West Village.

Come check out the Villages of Detroit.
    www.thevillagesofdetroit.org

Congratulations, and thanks for investing in our city.

Congratulations Winkler!
    When you move into a house in Detroit, you are not just getting a house, you are getting a neighborhood. I think the adversity draws like minded people together and when you move into the right neighborhood as you have, it is a richly rewarding experience.

Having grown up in the neighborhood, and having recently returned to the nearby area of course I'm biased, but I think in many ways the Village is the best place to live in the City of Detroit. Hope you thoroughly enjoy your new home, your new neighbors, and your beautiful new neighborhood.

Thanks. I am really looking forward to this and cannot wait to be part of the great neighborhood and city.

Cool. Hope it works out really well for you.

stinkbug Guest

That's awesome. I'm a little jealous.

im very jealous :-)

Default Long ago

When I grew up there in the 1950s and 60s it was a simpler [[and more privileged) time. As a kid, every kid knew all the kids within a couple block area and beyond. The stereotypical family with mom at home and dad at work [[in a professional job or the owner of a small business).

Kids I knew went to Nichols, St. Charles or the Liggett School. Later they attended Eastern, GPUS or "went away" to boarding school. Those of us nearer Mack played ball at the vacant lot on Seminole across from the old CYO building. Belle Isle with its aquarium, children's zoo, botanical garden, and J.T. Wing was our back yard. Many of the families belonged to either the Detroit Yacht Club or the Detroit Boat Club.

It was a simpler time. One resident is in a play which she wrote about her experiences in Detroit tommorrow night. Check the DetroitYes calendar for this one night only opportunity.

Did anyone attend the performance of The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit?

x97winkler, so how has the first week in the village been? I am traveling to Detroit for the Thanksgiving holiday and will be touring homes in Indian Village during the weekend. I wish you well and who knows we may be neighbors soon.