Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit themed restaurant

Is there any?

I don't know about you but I think it would be cool. Walk in and hear Motown playing, see a pistons game on the t.v., Detroit stuff on the walls. Detroit/Michigan made food and drinks served.

What do you all think of that?

So start one.

Lorax Guest

It's called the cafeteria at the Henry Ford Museum.

Lorax Guest

Better yet, put it in a burned out house and serve only char-grilled foods.

Try the Motor City Bar in New York City.

Careful. It might become a Being John Malkovich vortex if located within Detroit.
    Schwartz discovers a portal behind a filing cabinet and when he enters it, finds himself in the mind of actor John Malkovich [[John Malkovich), able to observe and sense whatever Malkovich does for fifteen minutes before he is ejected and dropped into a ditch adjacent to the New Jersey Turnpike.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-04-09 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lorax View Post
    better yet, put it in a burned out house and serve only char-grilled foods.

not funny!!

A Detroit themed restaurant? Yeah, you could call it something like "Jim's Garage", "Doug's Body Shop" or "The Filling Station".

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Try the Motor City Bar in New York City.
    I wandered in there at random late one night when I got stuck in traffic and just went "oh, the hell with it" and parked the truck and walked into the nearest bar. Was a very strange time warp kind of moment being in a bar in NYC full of familiar stuff from my hometown..

Of course, this place would also have to have Detroit food.

Vernor's, Red Pop, spare ribs, Kowalski's sausage, Milroy's fish and chips, Buddy's pizza, Kavan's upside-down hamburgers, Sander's hot fudge sundaes...

Hm...was there a Detroit-based antacid manufacturer?

And after your nice, filling Detroit-themed meal, you'd of course get carjacked while pulling out of the parking lot.

i ate at this place when i was in Vegas, pretty nice lady owned it and she was a Duly's regular in her youth, so she knows a good Coney.

http://www.detroitmotorcityconeyisland.com/

Don't forget the Derrick Coleman memorial washroom.

Fury -- nice...

Although first you have to be approached by the guy with the gas can who says he ran out of gas, his wife and kids are back at the car and can he have money please...

Was driving down Southport street in Chicago and saw a restaurant under construction called Detroit Coney Islands. Apparently, it's a ex-Detroiter and his Michigan grad buddies opening the place. I guess they own another Michigan themed bar next door.

Been to the Motor City Bar in NYC. It is a bit bizarre seeing the Greektown and I75 signs that adorn the walls of this otherwise typical lower east side bar. Also, there is a place in Tokyo that is called Detroit Rock Bar, but the theme there is more KISS memorabilia than Detroit itself. I guess the band and the city are forever entwined in the minds of many people.
    Ya gotta lose your mind in Detroit, Rock City

During my time in Japan it was amazing to me how many people associated Kiss with Detroit, and thought they were from here. So it doesn't surprise me that there's such a place in Tokyo [[how big Kiss still was there was surprising to me as well). I associate Detroit with Motown, of course, and Aretha, and a huge number of great jazz musicians, and that strain of rock best exemplified by the MC5 and Iggy, but other than that one song not Kiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    And after your nice, filling Detroit-themed meal, you'd of course get carjacked while pulling out of the parking lot.

In keeping with the Detroit theme, have Stress and The Big Four guard the parking area.

I've been to the Motor City Bar in NYC several times. They get a big plus for carrying Vernors. They get an even bigger minus for having a bartender who had never heard of Faygo.

Eastside Al,
    Gotta agree with you on Iggy and the MC5. As much as I love Motown and Aretha and so many others, that chugging, blasting sound of the Stooges and the MC5 is the sound of Detroit to me.

I remember this place. It went out of business about 10 years ago...

Attachment 3779

The O.C.'s[[THAT show was created by a guy from Kalamazoo) Detroit Bar pre-dates the NY one by several years;
    http://www.detroitbar.com/reviews/latimes3.php
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/detroit-bar-costa-mesa

Jokes on you, EastsideAl ...it's my understanding the most popular convenience store chain in Japan is-Lawson's?;
    http://www.wcsb.org/forum/read.php?3,10133,10133

I had no idea "Eden East" on Route 66, in either incarnation, was Detroit-themed until I had to break a bill-one half the place is a Dean Martin Shrine. My aunt is Dino's cousin, she has no interest in visiting
    http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid...89&hl=en&gl=US

Motor City Bar in NYC opened in 1996, so it opened several years before the bar in OC.

Motor City Bar in NYC is great. I end up there at least once every time I drop in NYC. Great DJs come through there including some Detroit ones. A great place for drinks & fun.