Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Part 2 of Karen Dybis' ride-along report was posted at Time's Assignment Detroit blog this morning.
    This year, the demand for services in certain areas of The Salvation Army's work has gone up as much as 60 percent, Maj. John Turner tells me. The Bed and Bread program consistently sees increases. Part of this is due to a new routing system they have, which put the trucks in more high-need areas. Partly it is due to the area's dramatically high unemployment rate.

. . . Some who ask for meals are homeless . . . Most are unemployed. Others have a house and job – but they need a way to stretch their dollars. Getting a meal here allows them to have enough to cover utilities.
    Here's something else the reporter, surely not insular, clueless or "a little bit dimwitted" writes:
    I decided not to talk to anyone receiving meals on the record. I spoke to people through my [mobile kitchen] window, and that felt a lot more natural to me. I didn't want to be Reporter Girl. I wanted to be helpful. That's all.

. . . Perhaps getting their words [[and names) would have been more interesting to you, the reader. But I felt like my presence was too glaring. I was just too obvious and the situation was too serious.

. . . The Salvation Army could use a lot more of me. And a lot more of you. There is a Bed and Bread Club. Donate $10 a month and you could feed one child or adult through The Salvation Army for a year.

Perhaps getting their words [[and names) would have been more interesting to you, the reader. But I felt like my presence was too glaring. I was just too obvious and the situation was too serious.
    What does that even mean?

Again, her problem is her assumption that the reactions of a suburbanite are more interesting than objectively reporting the situation she found. She even provides a link to a Detroit News story that's infinitely more interesting because they actually go to the trouble to speak to those involved, instead of assuming readers care what the reporter thinks.

It's not because I'm scared or lazy. It's just weird to jump out of the van and start interviewing people who are there for a meal. There's something too slick about it. I'm not ready to get into people's faces.
    Then maybe you're not ready to pretend to be a journalist.

This reads like "Dear Diary..."

Someone [[not me) left a lengthy comment on there that tackles this from a similar angle. An excerpt:

Wow, I didn't know one person could be the linchpin of an entire program! And I'm not even talking Ms. Williams [[not that you'd have thought I was).

"I" appears in excess of 20 times when you weren't a major actor in this event or program. Maybe, just maybe, this is permissible if you're posting this to influence others to help out with the program [[or any similar program in their locality). Alas, all you mention is the money.

You want to maintain a special place in this story. No one else can be so necessary to the program. You mention in Part I how you were Super Awesome Volunteer Girl. Even if you were terrible, they are not going to tell you so. Salvation Army needs volunteers period. The only quote refers to none other than you. And is an amazingly choice quote for all the wrong reasons.

You did not want to play Reporter Girl because you felt like your presence was too glaring. Do you really think any of these people cared whether it was you, Dave Bing or the Dalai Lama handing them food? No, they were thankful that anyone took the time to help them out. From experience, a number of people want to tell their stories. Because then, gasp!, one might help them, and not just be out to selfishly feel good inside.
    A little harsh, but rather accurate.

lilpup Guest

Blogging isn't 'journalism' and she doesn't pretend it is. She even said as much in a previous blog post.

As far as relating her reactions during the experience all she's really doing is validating the feelings of others like her who might be scared off after the first time and who, learning that their reactions aren't unique, might return to help more.

If she truly does intend to continue volunteering then interacting naturally as a volunteer instead of behaving like a reporter right off the bat makes sense - building bridges brings better, truer, and more insightful stories [[which is why Time is here in the first place).

Default Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Blogging isn't 'journalism' and she doesn't pretend it is.
    On point, that.

If Time's other bloggers -- both male, both African America -- had rolled with the mobile kitchen, they'd have posted different stories from their points of view -- still highly personal, highly impressionistic.

Overall on this thread, it's heartening that more people have contributed productively than have lobbed gobs. I spoke yesterday of smug superiority, but those exposing themselves evidently don't believe that's what they're flashing.

I don't know why you are jumping down this ladies throat. My wife and I live in HP and are moving to GP soon. She did this salvation army ride for work two years ago and was completely shocked at the conditions just on the other side of Alter. No she is not insulated from Detroit and is well aware of the problems. Even her favorite restaurant is Giovanni's on the SW side of Detroit in a very shady area. So this story about a woman being unaware at the severity of the problem of Detroit is no surprise. I am sure that most "Detroiters" are not fully aware how far Detroit has fallen just in the last 5-10 years. I truly believe that most "Detroiters" are in denial or unaware of the severity of the problem in any Detroit neighborhood.

Default Anyone else? . . .

Those motivated to contribute can mail $120 or more to The Salvation Army / 16130 Northland Drive / Southfield, MI 48075 for its Bed & Bread Club.
    The Salvation Army's Bed & Bread Club is made up of people like you who have decided to take the matter of hunger and homelessness in their community into their own hands.
    Pledge here to get an e-mailed donation form.
    Last edited by RealityCheck; November-05-09 at 04:21 PM. Reason: 'EastsideAl' raised a valid point about previous tone

I am sure that most "Detroiters" are not fully aware how far Detroit has fallen just in the last 5-10 years. I truly believe that most "Detroiters" are in denial or unaware of the severity of the problem in any Detroit neighborhood.
    It's not the past 5-10 years. In the parts of the city the truck serves its the last few decades. This is not a new phenomenon.

I send a few dollars to the Capuchins and the Detroit Rescue Mission; maybe what she's doing is parachute journalism but it's more than I've ever done physically.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    I just mailed $120 to The Salvation Army / 16130 Northland Drive / Southfield, MI 48075 for its Bed & Bread Club.Pledge here to get an e-mailed donation form.

Then say whatever you want about Karen Dybis, RealityCheck or anyone else.
    I and most of my family give hundreds of dollars to the Salvation Army here in Detroit every year, and thousands total across several other area charities, and have for a very long time. A number of people in my family have done social service and organizational work in the city for decades. And I suspect that several other people here have similar stories. So you can can the lecture any time you want.

As I said above, it's nice that Ms. Dybis wishes to help, and her sympathetic [[if somewhat self-centric) take on the experience is a whole lot better than the usual crap you hear from a lot of suburbanites. So don't get me wrong, I'm happier she's helping, really hands-on helping, than if she were not. But, still, to live in this area for a number of years, to live as close to Detroit as Grosse Pointe Woods, and to be in the media and work for a major area newspaper for several years, and then to come off sounding as if the massive poverty of sections of the City of Detroit [[getting worse now, but a fact for several decades) is a major shock to your tender sensibilities really can't help one look anything but insular. Indeed, almost purposefully cocooned.

It might not sound so bad to my Detroit ears if she was truly what she reads like here, a suburban housewife out on a little charitable outing who is shocked by what she sees. In fact, that might actually be heartening. But this lady is a journalist, and from her bio has been one for several years, so while she is shocked by the poverty of our city, it is shocking to me that she seems so unaware of the world around her. And, as a one-time economic writer, so naive about the real-world consequences of economic decisions made far away from where the hungry people she's feeding live.

Detroit always is its worst condition, then, now and later in the future. Some American cities are in worst condition that it's very hard and costly to clean up.

Default No 'lecture'

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    . . . can the lecture.
    Point taken, Al. Intent was to goose involvement by those less generous than you, not to sound sanctimonious. Regret coming across that way, so I just recast that off-key post.

I respect your commitment and viewpoints, really.
    Last edited by RealityCheck; November-05-09 at 04:22 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    as a one-time economic writer, so naive about the real-world consequences of economic decisions made far away from where the hungry people she's feeding live.
    as if that doesn't sum up the bulk of the US, including the powers that be in NY and DC

Here's what the Southwest is saying about Detroit.

Entire City Of Detroit To Be Auctioned Off – Sold To ‘Highest’ Bidder

The highest bidder will get his chance to walk off with a city of broken dreams next month. Detroit, once lauded as the epitome of futuristic cities, will be sold off in an absolute auction next month and sold to the highest bidder.

“The city is a shambles,†said acting mayor Dave Bing. “I don’t know how high you’re gonna have to be to buy this city, but pretty damn high, I imagine,†he continued.

Just how high the buyer will have to be to buy a city with unemployment hovering at around 28 percent and the median home price stuck at below $10,000 is anyone’s guess. Economists predict the person or group who emerges as the winning bidder will likely be just south of cloud nine.
    Detroit once boasted a population of over 1.8 million. The latest census information pegs the city’s current population at less than 900,000 people.

“Hopefully the city sells for at least a reasonable amount, and we hope the bid is as high as the bidder when it all closes,†said one city official.

[[Yes, it's a spoof article, available online [[for now, at least) at http://www.timespublications.com/zanyPress.asp )

DetroitDad Guest

Do we live in different cities? Sure, Detroit has its problems, but I just don't think it's really all that bad. Sure there are some streets that are pretty bad. I'll admit Cedar Ridge and Chalmers kind of shocked me, just homes in various states of abandonment, from newly foreclosed homes with new siding and windows, to homes that have been empty awhile with broken windows and open doors, to homes with the roofs burned off or nothing left but the brick work, to others that were just pies of rubble. Almost every home except for about three were completely abandoned on a mile stretch of this road, and one of those three was in the process of being boarded up.

That being said, majority of the neighborhoods in Detroit seem to be nicely kept homes and subdivisions with blight sprinkled in the mix, a burned out hulk here and there. I think it's getting worse in the outer suburban area of Detroit, but the inner city is stagnant or even getting better. There are tons of new buildings going up along our main roads right now, how could anyone overlook those!?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Do we live in different cities? Sure, Detroit has its problems, but I just don't think it's really all that bad. Sure there are some streets that are pretty bad. I'll admit Cedar Ridge and Chalmers kind of shocked me, just homes in various states of abandonment, from newly foreclosed homes with new siding and windows, to homes that have been empty awhile with broken windows and open doors, to homes with the roofs burned off or nothing left but the brick work, to others that were just pies of rubble. Almost every home except for about three were completely abandoned on a mile stretch of this road, and one of those three was in the process of being boarded up.

That being said, majority of the neighborhoods in Detroit seem to be nicely kept homes and subdivisions with blight sprinkled in the mix, a burned out hulk here and there. I think it's getting worse in the outer suburban area of Detroit, but the inner city is stagnant or even getting better. There are tons of new buildings going up along our main roads right now, how could anyone overlook those!?
    At least there are still some decent AND safe neighborhoods left in 48205 [[Although they have suffered from the recent mortgage crisis).

-North of 7 Mile between Schoenherr and Hoover,
    -The area bounded by State Fair, Kelly, 8 Mile and Schoenherr plus
    -The area bounded by Seymour, 7 Mile, Kelly and Hayes

If you want to see something shocking, The area between Alter Road & Conner between Warren and Jefferson is down right scary. I think it was either Drexel, Lenox or both, where you can drive down the entire street from Jefferson to Warren and not find one home standing [[and you can't even see the sidewalks and driveways) and these 2 blocks were filled with densely-built, well-kept homes just 30 years ago [[1980). The only thing left are blocks and blocks of weeds that are 4-5 feet tall. Now yes, there's urban decay in every big city. But I don't think there's any other major city in America that has declined to the extent I described so fast.

Also, you claim the inner city of Detroit is stagnant or getting better. I would beg to differ when looking at the neighborhoods north of Gratiot, south of I-94, east of the Eastern Market and west of [[let's say...) Van Dyke. But then again maybe our definition of inner city Detroit differs. The only street I see new buildings going up on is Woodward [[and this is mostly within the Grand Blvd. loop). In fact, along the rest of our main thoroughfares, I've seen more demoliton lately than constrctuion. The only reason the outer edges APPEAR to be getting worse is again because of the mortgage crisis, when truthfully growth in these areas have remained stagnant for the past decade or so.

DetroitDad Guest

I'll try to take some pictures next week. There is plenty of new builds going up, some are rogue houses, others are apartment buildings or commercial properties.

Hmmn, interesting points. I live and was born in Detroit, and live on the near west side central area, and work east now. And I am not very comfortable going down some streets both east and west. I will drive out of my way on freeways to avoid certain streets. And the east side is a real downer in some areas as is the west side in spots, but I'd say the east side has more concentrated, larger areas of blight and dangerous zones and intersections you just don't want to be at..... doing news or going to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I live in Harper Woods and work downtown. Most days it is easier for me to weave my way down side streets than taking I-94 or even Jefferson Ave. But, taking I-94 or Jefferson Ave to get to/from home is a wee different than going down Charlevoix [[in the morning...and with the exception of Waldorf/Indian Village) or taking Kercheval back [[on both sides of Chrysler). Mack and Harper Aves. are not pretty in some spots, but compared to the other two streets, they are OK.

My guess is that the author isn't talking about the blight you can see off of a main drag like Mack, Gratiot [[not very close to Grosse Pointe, but you get my drift), Jefferson. I can see where someone would not have a full grasp of what is going on in some of those East Side pockets of third-worldness, which is exactly what it is. I mean, just because someone can drive down Chalmers off Jefferson towards Mack, I wouldn't knock 'em for not doing it. Just because someone can decide to go South off of Alter, doesn't mean they will. I imagine since childhood their parents have ingrained in them not to travel down certain roads. Just saying...

Brightmore is horrid, and the Cicotte area bombed out. I would not drive thru those areas with the door unlocked. Yet in nearly ever area such is this there are people still trying to hold on, keep their lawns up, maintain their property... sad indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    You know, I have lived in Detroit all of my life except for college. I have lived in SW Detroit since 1970. But even I am aghast at what Detroit has become. When I drove through Brightmoor recently, I was quite afraid that I would be jumped. When I drove to the UPS depot on Cicotte and saw entire burned-out blocks of what were once solid, two-family brick houses owned by immigrant Poles, I was aghast. Around Cicotte, just 5 years ago it didn't look like this.This is end times!

Why burn solid housing stock? What is there in the Detroit psychology that says to destroy? Don't we see it in our schools - buildings destroyed - and right over the border in Grosse Pointe, the schools are from my grandfather's time and very lovingly kept. And kids educated in those old buildings [[such as aren't good enough for Detroit kids) are getting the top scores.

Well, I am a Detroiter born and raised, yet my suburban exposure has been great for years and years of working in the west and northwest suburbs and the "contrast" of lifestyle is getting to be a bit much. Take grocery shopping for example. I am nearly at a point where I can do no food shopping in the city as the quality of product is just horrid in Detroit, just for basics. And were not even going to mention a day trip down to Royal Oak's Hollywood market then back down Woodward to what? Save alot? Don't get me wrong I shop at Save alot in the city and the ones in the burbs, but it's different...
    Many of my peers growing up in suburbia were strictly forbidden from going anywhere near Detroit. When they came to visit when I first moved here, they were overly surprised that I lived near the same Grand Rive Avenue, Plymouth Road, Seven Mile, or Michigan Avenue that they knew of over in Novi, Canton, or Livonia. Some had no idea we had skyscrapers in Michigan.

There is no doubt in my mind that those individuals would never have been to Detroit, besides going to a game, had it not been for them knowing someone here. In fact, their parents hated it, and one actually refused to pick up his daughter when her car broke down because he wanted to teach her a lesson about going into such a dangerous area.

Ironically, it was in the outer suburbs that his daughter got raped, got a DUI, totalled a car, and became addicted to drugs in. It seems the real problems in our lives, the things we worry about so often, almost always come when and where we least expect them.

Anyways, this article should surprise no one.

Yep, I noticed that too. Now for most carry out resturants in the city, I call my order in "before" I get there so as to minimize my risk of hanging around too much, to long or worring about the status of my old "beater" car.
    Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Things do seem to be getting worse quickly.....My second favorite Chinese Restaurant is Sun China at McNichols and Telegraph. It is in Detroit, but had customers from both the City and Redford. A year ago I went there and noticed they were putting in bulletproof glass for the first time. Last New Year's Eve, I noticed a security guard at 8 PM, but chalked it up to the holiday. Went last night at 7 and they now need a guard in the parking lot to protect the cars, even on a weekday. This is a restaurant on a busy intersection with frequent visits from police as well......

Too many of us have gotten used to it, but if you travel in and ouur of the burbs as I do, the contrast of lifestyle and available amenities is getting to hard to ignore or justify. And the crime level is absolutely high, with nore teens acting out and becoming engaged in violence... younger and younger......
    Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    I don't know why you are jumping down this ladies throat. My wife and I live in HP and are moving to GP soon. She did this salvation army ride for work two years ago and was completely shocked at the conditions just on the other side of Alter. No she is not insulated from Detroit and is well aware of the problems. Even her favorite restaurant is Giovanni's on the SW side of Detroit in a very shady area. So this story about a woman being unaware at the severity of the problem of Detroit is no surprise. I am sure that most "Detroiters" are not fully aware how far Detroit has fallen just in the last 5-10 years. I truly believe that most "Detroiters" are in denial or unaware of the severity of the problem in any Detroit neighborhood.

DetroitDad Guest

Zacha, although it looks run down [[needs paint and landscaping) on the outside, the grocery store on Warren and Saint Antoine is nice. I have met many of the owners and managers who work there, and they are all good people who are really investing in the region. I would say that place competes with the best of them, and is comparable to a suburban Foodland or [[formerly) Farmer Jack's.

A mile or so up Warren you have University Foods too, at the corner of Warren and The Lodge. Then you also have the Foodland near Lafayette Park. Actually Downtown, you have Trolley Market, which has been slowly growing, and now houses a post office. For fresh produce, Eastern Market is also just a skip and a jump away.

Detroit has decent grocery stores, but they aren't mega chains, and honestly, I kind of like it better that way.

Now, Detroit Mom loves her Meijer, and is thrilled there will be one a few miles away soon. She said she didn't like our grocery stores because there is no u-scan. She told me this awhile ago, while I was bagging the groceries for her while she was ringing up a purchase at Meijer. Detroit Mom, I love you [[I know you lurk a little here), but why are we doing this? Other grocery stores will bag and ring up your groceries for you, sometimes even help you out to your car with no extra charge!

I look at Detroit as a good stepping stone into living a truly urban lifestyle, until the city improves more. You'd be surprised how many suburbanites stress over parallel parking, navigating radials and traffic circles, driving on one way streets, heavy city traffic, using parking meters, etc.. You can call B.S. on that, but I swear to you, they just aren't accustomed to it all, and really get stressed out over all that stuff. I can't even imagine some of them in New York or Chicago.

Thanks DD, I'd sorta forgotten about the grocery store up on Warren, nice to see the owners so engaged. I stopped by the University Store on Warren by the Lodge. Sorta high on some items, but convenient for a few things.....And I sorta dig the non-chain stores. There are several "mom and pop" style grocery stores in east Dearborn like that with tons of good produce....
    Zacha, although it looks run down [[needs paint and landscaping) on the outside, the grocery store on Warren and Saint Antoine is nice. I have met many of the owners and managers who work there, and they are all good people who are really investing in the region. I would say that place competes with the best of them, and is comparable to a suburban Foodland or [[formerly) Farmer Jack's.

A mile or so up Warren you have University Foods too, at the corner of Warren and The Lodge. Then you also have the Foodland near Lafayette Park. Actually Downtown, you have Trolley Market, which has been slowly growing, and now houses a post office. For fresh produce, Eastern Market is also just a skip and a jump away.

Detroit has decent grocery stores, but they aren't mega chains, and honestly, I kind of like it better that way.

Now, Detroit Mom loves her Meijer, and is thrilled there will be one a few miles away soon. She said she didn't like our grocery stores because there is no u-scan. She told me this awhile ago, while I was bagging the groceries for her while she was ringing up a purchase at Meijer. Detroit Mom, I love you [[I know you lurk a little here), but why are we doing this? Other grocery stores will bag and ring up your groceries for you, sometimes even help you out to your car with no extra charge!

I look at Detroit as a good stepping stone into living a truly urban lifestyle, until the city improves more. You'd be surprised how many suburbanites stress over parallel parking, navigating radials and traffic circles, driving on one way streets, heavy city traffic, using parking meters, etc.. You can call B.S. on that, but I swear to you, they just aren't accustomed to it all, and really get stressed out over all that stuff. I can't even imagine some of them in New York or Chicago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2