Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ken Cockrel, Jr. a good man!

Sorry to see that Ken Cockrel lost his leadership position on council. He had to put up with with unprofessional members like Monica Conyers, Barbara Rose-Collins and JoAnn Watson, who is a tax cheat! Mr. Cockrel didn't just move to the city to run for council, he lives here, raised his five children here.

It is a loss to Detroiters that they would elect a new-comer to be council president. Again, Detroiters vote, if they vote at all, like it is a popularity contest and they are familiar with Pugh because of his TV reporting. We will watch and see what Pugh has to offer Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    Sorry to see that Ken Cockrel lost his leadership position on council. He had to put up with with unprofessional members like Monica Conyers, Barbara Rose-Collins and JoAnn Watson, who is a tax cheat! Mr. Cockrel didn't just move to the city to run for council, he lives here, raised his five children here.

It is a loss to Detroiters that they would elect a new-comer to be council president. Again, Detroiters vote, if they vote at all, like it is a popularity contest and they are familiar with Pugh because of his TV reporting. We will watch and see what Pugh has to offer Detroiters.
    You're right about the popularity contest part. As far as Ken Cockrel, he was living and working in Cincinatti and moved back to Detroit to run for office. Why not run in Cincinatti? Probably because he couldn't trade off of his name there. He's there due to his name. He's a decent enough guy. But let's face it, in all the time that he's been on Council, he hasn't done anything substantial. Unfortunately, we're at the point as voters where we judge our incumbent elected officials based on who's behavior at the table is embarrasing and not the substance of their work.

By the way, Sheila Cockrel went by the name Sheila Murphy until she ran for Council. I wonder why she changed her name.

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    Again, Detroiters vote, if they vote at all, like it is a popularity contest...
    Yes in Detroit it is all about name recognition... which is how both Kenneth Cockrel and step-mom Sheila Cockrel both got elected their first time around...

I would love to know what would be said on this site if the posters' dream list of candidates got elected. I mean, they would have to spin it in some way to say how stupid Detroiters are.

When Kilpatrick got re-elected it was because Detroiters only want the "blackest" mayor, not because he had the richest and whitest businesspeople backing him. No, it was because we are divisive and hate whites. So Bing moves in from the suburbs and gets elected. Out goes the "Detroiters hate regional cooperation and whites and only want the blackest mayor" excuse, and in comes the "Detroiters only vote on name recognition" excuse. After all, Bing is a former NBA player.

Martha Reeves and Alberta Tinsley-Talabi get voted off the council and it's "the most qualified councilperson finished dead last" excuse, not "Detroit got rid of two worthless council members" line of reasoning.

Detroit votes in council by district, and well, it also re-elected Reverend David Murray - so we know that 90% of Detroiters are worthless illiterates and pay no attention to the "evil racist white media newspapers that try so desperately to educate the ignorant no snitching masses of Detroit."

Detroit is truly the ugly duckling of this region. Nothing Detroit does will ever be right in the minds of the puritanical posters of this site.

Not that criticism and dissenting views are bad - I welcome both. However, on this site, it's amazing that every decision Detroiters ever make is always dead wrong.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; November-04-09 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I would love to know what would be said on this site if the posters' dream list of candidates got elected. I mean, they would have to spin it in some way to say how stupid Detroiters are.

Detroit is truly the ugly duckling of this region. Nothing Detroit does will ever be right in the minds of the puritanical posters of this site.
    Well said. Some of the posts here in response to this latest election have been dreadful and vicious. This even though Detroiters managed to elect as mayor for the second time this year a businessman who until very recently lived in the suburbs, to rid themselves of a majority of the Council incumbents, return a record low 4 incumbents to the Council and nearly dump 2 more who finished 8th and 9th, and voted in by a wide margin the first significant reform in how the Council is elected in about 90 years.

This all looks like a serious wish for a change on the part of city voters to me. But there is indeed no mollifying some people on this board when it comes to Detroit. As I said on another thread here, it seems like the Council a lot of people here really want, their "dream list of candidates" in your phrase, is one they're not going to get because it would look an awful lot like the Council of 1965 - 8 white people and Nick Hood.

When Kilpatrick got re-elected it was because Detroiters only want the "blackest" mayor, not because he had the richest and whitest businesspeople backing him. No, it was because we are divisive and hate whites. So Bing moves in from the suburbs and gets elected. Out goes the "Detroiters hate regional cooperation and whites and only want the blackest mayor" excuse, and in comes the "Detroiters only vote on name recognition" excuse. After all, Bing is a former NBA player.

Martha Reeves and Alberta Tinsley-Talabi get voted off the council and it's "the most qualified councilperson finished dead last" excuse, not "Detroit got rid of two worthless council members" line of reasoning.

Detroit votes in council by district, and well, it also re-elected Reverend David Murray - so we know that 90% of Detroiters are worthless illiterates and pay no attention to the "evil racist white media newspapers that try so desperately to educate the ignorant no snitching masses of Detroit."

Not that criticism and dissenting views are bad - I welcome both. However, on this site, it's amazing that every decision Detroiters ever make is always dead wrong.
    What's even more amazing is how anyone here can spin a MINORITY viewpoint on this forum and make it sound like it's the MAJORITY here who feel that way!!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Well said. Some of the posts here in response to this latest election have been dreadful and vicious. This even though Detroiters managed to elect as mayor for the second time this year a businessman who until very recently lived in the suburbs, to rid themselves of a majority of the Council incumbents, return a record low 4 incumbents to the Council and nearly dump 2 more who finished 8th and 9th, and voted in by a wide margin the first significant reform in how the Council is elected in about 90 years.

This all looks like a serious wish for a change on the part of city voters to me. But there is indeed no mollifying some people on this board when it comes to Detroit. As I said on another thread here, it seems like the Council a lot of people here really want, their "dream list of candidates" in your phrase, is one they're not going to get because it would look an awful lot like the Council of 1965 - 8 white people and Nick Hood.
    Extremely well said. I agree with everything you've said above. We've been waiting for council by districts for all 10 years since I've been home post-undergrad, but DetroitYES wouldn't be DYes without the usual crowd moaning and **ching and whining.

It's not that every decision made is dead wrong. In fact, I think most were more surprised how well this turned out. My only issue with this election, was Pugh becoming council pres. I personally had no issue with him on the council itself, just not being in charge of it.

Much like presidential elections and campaigns, it is down right frustrating to allow the media to choose who is, and who isn't a viable candidate based on name and status. The media owes it to the common public to present all candidates in an equal form for the voter to make the decision. All too often, the choices have been made for the voter before they have chance to decide on their own.