Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Even the dead are leaving

According to WDIV, 500 bodies are moved each year from Detroit to Suburban cemeteries, which is more than any other city in the country.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/21482299/index.html

They do include a positive note that demand is still high in many Detroit cemeteries.

Not that it isn't an intriguing story, but it was better done by LeDuff a year ago, quoting the same family.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...RO08/808120367

I think Time did the same story in its Detroit blog, but I can't find it at the moment.

There's another story here: how local TV news routinely borrows and regurgitates the print media's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    There's another story here: how local TV news routinely borrows and regurgitates the print media's work.
    Borrows? Ha. That's one way of putting it. As I joke with friends, "Newspapers giving away content for free isn't anything new; TV news has been giving newspapers' work away for years."

lilpup Guest

It seems it wasn't original for LeDuff either - I'm pretty sure someone else had it first.

This story has been bouncing around for a couple of years now.

I think the Metro Times first ran the story after hearing about a couple of guys who did a short film about the movement of the dead.

We did that with my GreatGrandmother. The cemetary wasn't keeping the property up and people were defacing the grave markers.

Lorax Guest

We buried our mother's ashes 11 years ago at Grand Lawn, which was looking tired then, but today is a shambles. Our grandparents are there as well, and we have been looking into alternatives to move them too.

Buy American Guest

We moved a relative out of Forest Lawn a few years ago because none of us could go to the cemetery and feel safe. Roaming thugs, cars driving aimlessly around looking for vunerable elderly to rob made our decision easy. The suburbs are safer to live in and are safer to be buried in.....what an awful legacy for Detroit!

I want to do the opposite. My father spent his whole life working, eating, and playing in Detroit. At the recommendation of the funeral home, he's now buried in Clinton Township. My understanding was that the city cemeteries were full. Anyone want to swap plots, Mt Elliott for Resurrection?

5 generations of my family are buried in Elmwood. So far, no problems. Of course, despite the fact it's a beautiful place I hardly ever go there. I guess I'm just one of those people who never saw much point in visiting dead folks.

I have many family members interred at Mt. Olivet, the most recent addition was a year and a half ago. We've never had any problems there. It's a beautiful cemetery and still has space available.

http://www.mtelliott.com/mtolivet.html

I have made it known to all family members that I am to have my remains buried in Detroit. If any of them choose to move them I will turn their lives into what would be an average 70's horror film.

buildingsofdetroit; "Borrows? Ha. That's one way of putting it. As I joke with friends, "Newspapers giving away content for free isn't anything new; TV news has been giving newspapers' work away for years."

I had a buddy @ CNN's L.A. bureau who had the duty to go downtown & pick up the L.A.Times bulldog edition @ 10 PM & bring it back to Hollywood so they could write their newscopy for the next day

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I have many family members interred at Mt. Olivet, the most recent addition was a year and a half ago. We've never had any problems there. It's a beautiful cemetery and still has space available.

http://www.mtelliott.com/mtolivet.html
    Nearly all my deceased family members are buried at Mt. Olivet also. I go there many times throughout the year and have never had or seen any criminal activity. About ten years ago they were having some trouble with wild dog packs, but apparently they solved that somehow. I usually go in the late morning or early afternoon on the weekends. I can't say I see a lot of people there, but enough that I feel comfortable.

In fact, I've recently found some information on some older relatives buried there and want to find their graves also.

It is a lovely and peaceful place and they do keep the grounds looking trimmed and neat.

Lorax, I am sorry to hear about Grand Lawn's condition. My grand parents are buried there and ever since my dad's death [[ their son ), I feel like I should go and " check" on them. Frankly, I am a bit afraid to go there by myself. It seems like an ideal place to get robed, or worse. My mother, father and brother are all buried next to each other in Hole Sepulchre in Southfield. It is a lovely, pleaceful place and I don't mind going there at all. I have never been afraid to go there alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    . I can't say I see a lot of people there, but enough that I feel comfortable.
    If you go on a holiday like Mother's Day or Memorial Day, there are a lot of people around.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    Lorax, I am sorry to hear about Grand Lawn's condition. My grand parents are buried there and ever since my dad's death [[ their son ), I feel like I should go and " check" on them. Frankly, I am a bit afraid to go there by myself. It seems like an ideal place to get robed, or worse. My mother, father and brother are all buried next to each other in Hole Sepulchre in Southfield. It is a lovely, pleaceful place and I don't mind going there at all. I have never been afraid to go there alone.
    Grand Lawn's grass is kept cut, but aside from that, there are flat stones that are completely overgrown and have disappeared under the grass, many dead trees from who knows how many years back, the roof of the beautiful English style entrance building is peeling like a lemon, and the fencing along both Telegraph and Grand River has been hit so many times by cars, there are dozens of breaches where anyone can walk in day or night, and flimsy, lousy looking patch jobs of the stone posts and iron fencing.

Even the bridge over the little river is crumbling, as are the lamp posts on it.

I mentioned to the two individuals in the office my concerns, and they were indignant, as if I was somehow seeing something that wasn't there!

I called the new owners, and only got a voicemail, and no return call. The new organization that bought all the cemeteries [[28 I believe) that were in Michigan and part of that cemetery scandal last year are apparently no better if they can't return a phone call. Woodlawn is one of them, and is in certainly better shape than Grand Lawn.

I say do whatever is best for your grandparents, and your memories, and if you feel unsafe going there, then have them moved. We are considering it, and will make a decision next spring.

Even in the 11 years since our mom's death it has become dumpy, so it's doubtful they will recover the stolen funds from the last owners, unless they intend to spend their own money restoring the place.
    Last edited by Lorax; November-04-09 at 08:17 PM.

All my relatives are in Mt. Elliott or Elmwood. I go there and have no problem with visiting. Of course I usually go on Sundays and I see people visiting their families. Both cemetaries are beautiful. You can't find that in the suburbs.

I never go to cemeteries. I feel closer to my late father at a Red Wings game than at a cemetery. My mother loved astronomy, so I feel close to her when I look at the stars. I understand that most people feel close to loved ones at cemeteries, and I respect that.

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in morning's hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush.
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry;
    I am not there, I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Frye

My favorite epitath on an ancestor of mine in Connecticut:

"Death is a debt
    by nature due
    Which I have paid
    and so must you."

For what it's worth, me and the Mrs. have plots out here in Las Vegas. It would be kind of neat to be buried back in Detroit, but there's no use going through all the additional expense.

With my Mothers recent heart scare and my Dad getting up there, They both made their plans and told me what they were. I won't have to move either.Mom wants cremation, Dad says hes going to the millitary cemetary near Holly.My father is in Glen Eden.
    I see why people move their loved ones, I myself love and miss my departed family also, Yet I ain't about to move any of them. I can't afford it and I don't like the thought of disturbing the dead. Just my thoughts, But I say let them sleep.

Both parents and many relatives at Mt. Olivet and it is a beautiful cemetary and well kept. The last few years, there has been much more security at the entrances and throughout. Getting there is a straight shot down 94 to Connor. But to be honest, if they were at Ressurection, we would go more often and not just on birthdays and holidays.

Buy American Guest

Mt. Olivet is beautiful and we haven't had trouble there. Forest Lawn on the other hand, was a nightmare. Instead of meditating over a loved ones grave we had to keep looking over our shoulder for some thug to jump up at us....it wasn't worth the fear so we moved our loved one up to Ressurection.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    My favorite epitath on an ancestor of mine in Connecticut:

"Death is a debt
    by nature due
    Which I have paid
    and so must you."

For what it's worth, me and the Mrs. have plots out here in Las Vegas. It would be kind of neat to be buried back in Detroit, but there's no use going through all the additional expense.

Especially if we have to move you anyway Ray...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast