Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    stinkbug Guest

Default Detroit election highlights

Charles Pugh is Council President. Maybe he can pull his condo out of foreclosure now?
    Welcome back to the four incumbents. You guys did so great last time around we just couldn't wait to have you back.
    Also big shout out to the preacher man and the cop from Kwame's administration. Lord knows we need more people like that.

A big winner: Freeman Hendrix, the ultimate politico. Reggie Reg Davis, who doesn't seem entirely clear on what the charter commission does, and John Johnson, good to have you back.

The highest honor of the night goes to the greatest mind of them all...Reverend David Murray. Also welcome back to Ida Short. Great speech about lettin' your kids go, Reverend.

I'm also pleased to report that every single individual elected is black. Screw diversity.

For the 20% who came out and voted: It's really great to see how easy it is to tell that half of the City is illiterate.

Buy American Guest

Absolutely sickening outcome. Detroit is doomed....doomed by the so-called "voters" who can't read a newspaper, who didn't watch any investigative reporting, who respects felons and respects bad parenting. I don't want to hear or read about people in Detroit "caring" for THEIR city anymore...if ALL of them had got up off their asses and voted I'm sure the outcome would have been different. This is what you want, brotha you got it.

Hey if the voters of Detroit voted for the people you like, if there is such a thing, You would not be able to come on chat forums. You would lose your reason to spew venom, call people names, and verbalize with ethnic slang.

In other words you would have to find another forum to bitch.

I got to be honest. I'm really not impressed by the results at all. It still looks like some people in Detroit are voting for name recognition and off of emotions of again. I like Charles Pugh and he has a really nice personality and vibe, but that's about it for me. I asked Charles a few questions in Campus Martius about his agenda during the fireworks and was not impressed. But he may surprise us all.

Some people who ran jumped on that "We need change" bus and thought it was going to show some Detroiter's that we need to get rid of all that is bad in Detroit. It worked to a certain degree but I feel things won't really change just yet. Maybe around 2013 when it will get very interesting. This is just the line up for who can past the final test come 2013. We can now hold people who say they represent us accountable. From street lights, crime, and city services. We can see who's doing what. Also, I wish they could of attached a two four year term limit on the ballot so we don't have people in office 10 years or more.

A few of these people who ran for office I got the pleasure of knowing and even asking them questions. Sadly, it was the same agenda attitude to me come election time. The big shocker has to be Cockrel getting knocked down to 4th place. I think his leadership would of helped the new council but he still has the arrogance that people see in him as if he ought to be council president or else. He was one of my favorites but his down fall hit him hard twice this year. He needs to really check himself and ask why the people don't have as much faith in him to lead.

Now the bond proposal for DPS will be interesting. When Mr. Bobb leaves we shall see where that money stays at. The last time we did this and they renovated schools some of them are boarded up now! I have a school that was renovated by my home and now its all tore up and trashed! Why DPS Why? I just hope the children benefit from this and education in Detroit is improved.

Bing pulled it off and I knew he would because of the powers that be will make sure he keeps making decisions that so call benefit Detroit. He really need more thought about these decisions instead of a quick fix. I expect him to due this one term and look forward to a new mayor come 2013. A new decade is coming up and I look forward to Detroit remodeling itself from city services to education too improve the quality of life for Detroiter's. Candidates talked about bringing jobs, helping entrepreneurs, mass transit, education, crime, poverty, and family values to name a few during this campaign season. Watch and see if what they say will come to fruition

I look forward to a better Detroit some day but it will take more than elections to change that. I will keep doing my part to make Detroit better by starting in my home.

Good thing they don't vote by name recognition in the suburbs!

All I can say is, "PEEEUUUGH!

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Hey if the voters of Detroit voted for the people you like, if there is such a thing, You would not be able to come on chat forums. You would lose your reason to spew venom, call people names, and verbalize with ethnic slang.

In other words you would have to find another forum to bitch.
    Get off your high horse and accept the facts for what they are. There is no spewing venom, calling people names or ethnic distinctions....the truth is the truth!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Ah, I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning...

How did the "Gaddis" Slate do? What did that $1000 buy?

How embarrassing.

There were numerous columns written regarding how Pugh had little understanding of the issues facing the city and how he was unable to give answers some very basic questions during the debates and media forums.

But he's on TV, so he gets to be President of the CC! Idiots.

Detroit gets the leadership it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Once again, Detroit's inferiority complex boils to the surface. No one is even talking about any of the suburbs in this thread, and yet you still felt compelled to make the comparison.

There is no municipality in south east Michigan known as "the suburbs". If there is a suburb out there that votes based on name recognition to same ridiculous degree that Detroit does, then their residents are just as big idiots as the voters of Detroit, and residents of other municipalities in south east Michigan have just as much standing to call them out as they do you.
    Last edited by artds; November-04-09 at 09:12 AM.

bartock Guest

...at least councilmembers will now be voted on by district [[+2 at large).

bartock, I agree. The most lasting change coming from this election could be the restructuring of the electoral system for City Council. In the long run, that should create more accountability, and I think it will also encourage greater responsiveness to local problems than the current all at-large system.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    ...at least councilmembers will now be voted on by district [[+2 at large).
    Doesn't that just mean that the more thuggish sections of the city will get to elect dirty people like Jai-Lee Deering to City Council while the more respectable sections will get to elect people like Ken Cockrel?

bartock Guest

Artds, I tend to agree with cman, and would suggest that with Detroit being the largest city in the country that does the at-large thing, it is time to try for a change.

I'm not sure about the districts and how/where they will be determined. That is, in part, what the new Charter Commission will do [[Hendrix has already said that they will follow the voters will with voting via district. There may be some minor changes). I would like to see, for example, a bit of diversity on the council...geographically moreso than culturally; specifically, Southwest Detroit, which has been a relative bright spot, should have a representative. As for the other districts, there are nice neighborhoods in all areas of the city [[Indian Village, EEV, Palmer Woods, University District, Boston-Edison, Corktown, Riverfront, Virginia Park, Rosedale Park, etc.) so I don't think that enough ballot boxes will be stuffed by the "thuggish" element of those districts. Using your example, if Jai Lee Dearing were running in a near Eastside district [[i.e., Eastern Market to the River, suppose), he did not garner enough votes yesterday to suggest that he would even be able to win a district race. Detroit should take its chances.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    I'm also pleased to report that every single individual elected is black. Screw diversity.
    And I'm pleased to report that every single individual elected in Livonia is white. And always has been white.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Absolutely sickening outcome. Detroit is doomed....doomed by the so-called "voters" who can't read a newspaper, who didn't watch any investigative reporting, who respects felons and respects bad parenting. I don't want to hear or read about people in Detroit "caring" for THEIR city anymore...if ALL of them had got up off their asses and voted I'm sure the outcome would have been different. This is what you want, brotha you got it.
    You previously listed 3 people you would vote for:

Ken Cockrel
    Gary Brown
    John Bennett

Two of them were elected to office. If only you would have listed all of the candidates that you thought were best [[or your top 9).

Bitch away, the residents agreed with you on 67% of your people so you 2/3 of what you want brotha.

Get off your high horse and accept the facts for what they are. There is no spewing venom, calling people names or ethnic distinctions....the truth is the truth!
    Funny you used the term 'brotha'. I'm sure you meant it with no connotations whatsoever, brotha.

Dumbest thread ever.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    You previously listed 3 people you would vote for:

Ken Cockrel
    Gary Brown
    John Bennett

Two of them were elected to office. If only you would have listed all of the candidates that you thought were best [[or your top 9).

Bitch away, the residents agreed with you on 67% of your people so you 2/3 of what you want brotha.
    You are so predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Dumbest thread ever.
    I don't know, there's a LOT of competition.

You are so predictable.
    So I see no argument that you are at least in 67% agreement with the city.

Your bitching is predictable. you rinability to take a stance [[beyond bitching) is predicatable. the fact that you gave us three names [[2 of whom were elected) is amazing.

It implies that you may have an opinion of something beyond poitning the finger at people, brotha.

Did anybody notice that the first four Council members-elect received more votes than Dave Bing did for Mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    And I'm pleased to report that every single individual elected in Livonia is white. And always has been white.
    Toledo is 70% white, and just elected a black mayor.

Now offically the Manoogian Party is over! Your new king is Bing, King of Detroit.

ALL HAIL KING BING! ALL HAIL KING BING! ALL HAIL KING BING!

LONG LIVE THE KING, LONG LIVE THE KING, LONG LIVE THE KING!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast