Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pugh new Clowncil Pres

Wow...What a freaking joke. Good job...

At least his last name is fairly descriptive of the odor coming from the City-Count Bldg.

Buy American Guest

Name recognition.....that's the only thing he had in his favor and Detroiters didn't disappoint him. This man knows absolutely nothing about politics, running a city, and especially finances. I wish I could say Detroit deserves this guy, but his decisions will ultimately affect City of Detroit retirees and City employees....that is a big problem.

Actually, I drove down from Ann Arbor to work the polls today. The negative press absolutely ensured Pugh's victory.

Why not also note that Proposal D passed by a large margin? Or that Gary Brown came in second?

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Actually, I drove down from Ann Arbor to work the polls today. The negative press absolutely ensured Pugh's victory.

Why not also note that Proposal D passed by a large margin? Or that Gary Brown came in second?
    Or that 4 incumbents are back on council, and we welcomed back Reverend David Murray, Reggie Reg, and John Johnson?

I'm truly, deeply ashamed of my city.

I'm not shocked by Pugh winning, but I AM shocked that Cockrel Jr. fell to FOURTH place.
    Here's your next Detroit City Council, folks:

Pugh [[president)
    Brown [[president pro tem)
    Jenkins
    Cockrel Jr. [[i)
    Jones [[i)
    Spivey
    Tate
    Kenyatta [[i)
    [["Get Back, Jo-Jo") Watson [[i)

Okay, yeah, it's a testament to the dumb Detroit voter who thinks, yeah, I know that guy from TV. Let's vote himt to council. Still, though, a lot of people thought that a gay dude wouldn't stand a chance, that his orientation was still such a taboo in the community that he would be rejected. So, at least there's the minor 'victory' of a gay man having received so many votes in Detroit. Progress? Not really, but a little surprising nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by g-dub View Post
    Okay, yeah, it's a testament to the dumb Detroit voter who thinks, yeah, I know that guy from TV. Let's vote himt to council. Still, though, a lot of people thought that a gay dude wouldn't stand a chance, that his orientation was still such a taboo in the community that he would be rejected. So, at least there's the minor 'victory' of a gay man having received so many votes in Detroit. Progress? Not really, but a little surprising nonetheless.
    That's true, g-dub. And I think that's huge news. But it also could be the sign of an uninformed electorate.

stinkbug Guest

It makes one wonder...how many voters know he's gay, or just know his name?
    So how many people really knew Sheila Cockrel was white? Cockrel is a great name to have, after all.
    So is Conyers!
    Or that Reverend is Reverend David Murray's first name? Congrats Mr. Reverend David Murray btw.
    I mean, Gill Hill has such a nice ring to it.
    And Martha Reeves...THE Martha Reeves?
    Need to do some exit polling...

You have to admit, it's still an improvement.

I'm disappointed Cockrel didn't keep his presidency - however, seems like Gary Brown has his priorities in the right place [[safety, safety, safety). Problem with Cockrel is that he's such a hard worker but not charismatic like the others - and Detroit votes on charisma.

Pugh winning sends a sign nationally that the city is more accepting - which is also good in attracting people.

I'm trying to look on the bright sides - as they're now in office, and they're gonna be there most likely for the next four years. Work with what ya got.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    You have to admit, it's still an improvement.
    How do you figure??

JoAnn Watson? Really?

Must have been all of the Red Dawn voters. . .
    Last edited by Cavanaugh; November-03-09 at 11:18 PM.

How long till all these AssHats are moving to the new districts? Or how long until it is appealed in the courts..

Quote: "You have to admit, it's still an improvement."

Right on. Pugh may surprise you folks.

I would rather have Pugh with no experience than Watson's experience.

After all, isn't it supposed to be government of and by the people, not dead weight looking to make a career out of it?
    Last edited by East Detroit; November-03-09 at 11:34 PM.

Pugh was served eviction notices what, 5 times, while living at Trolley Plaza? Then, his loft gets foreclosed on and put up for auction. This is the change Detroit needs? This is "The Next Detroit?" What a fuckin joke. I'm convinced that the majority of registered voters are in fact idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    How long till all these AssHats are moving to the new districts? Or how long until it is appealed in the courts..
    CBD starts with the 2013 elections.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    I'm disappointed Cockrel didn't keep his presidency - however, seems like Gary Brown has his priorities in the right place [[safety, safety, safety). Problem with Cockrel is that he's such a hard worker but not charismatic like the others - and Detroit votes on charisma.

Pugh winning sends a sign nationally that the city is more accepting - which is also good in attracting people.

I'm trying to look on the bright sides - as they're now in office, and they're gonna be there most likely for the next four years. Work with what ya got.

In all of the time that he's been on Council. What has Ken Cockrel really done?

Don't forget, the average person in Detroit knows that his hands are dirty as hell.

Every politician's hands are dirty as hell. It's the nature of the game, Kraig. I don't live under any suppositions or illusions of any of that. Show me an honest politician and I'll show you someone who's unelectable or stays just one term. And the electorate, ANYWHERE, doesn't care, they just want to believe. Yah, I'm cynical. But I've seen this for awhile, go read 48 Laws of Power and that's a start for the uninitiated. I'm assuming, though, from your previous posts, you're fully aware of this.

Remember, before Kwame was in all this trouble Pugh was in with his crew and even didn't go sofar as to call him out? I'm sure that helped him. I also remember Gary Brown making his presence known in '05, he started his council run then and that work paid off.

I think Cockrel brings experience to the table; the top three people running the city have maybe two years of municipal experience between them. The city is an unwieldy, crazy organization [[like any large city, frankly) that you need to know the ins and outs of to be effective. That's why Bing's selected the advisors he did; and I'm sure Pugh will have some veterans as well.

I'm all for change, but if you're unaware or inexperienced with how the system works, the system will run you over, and no change occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    CBD starts with the 2013 elections.
    Like I said... When do "The 9" sit in a room and draw straws on who moves where???

Or when will it be appealed in the courts, or overturned in a motion in a general meeting?

I doubt most people voted for Pugh with the intention to make him council president.

Well the results certainly sends a message to the remaining incumbents.... either shape up or ship out...

Can't believe that the 3 top vote getters are newbies.

Not only did Cockrel slip to 4th place, but JoAnn Watson, who in the past has polled as high as 3rd place, is at the bottom. Reality check!

Will make for a different council. I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt and see if in a year from now, if they are still deserving of the contempt posted here.

I used to think that Kwame Kenyatta was clueless... and yet despite his political leanings... he's been a voice of reason in the current council. So I'll reserve judgement on the noobs.

Interesting that Gary Brown will be President Pro-Temp of the new council.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well the results certainly sends a message to the remaining incumbents.... either shape up or ship out...

Can't believe that the 3 top vote getters are newbies.

Not only did Cockrel slip to 4th place, but JoAnn Watson, who in the past has polled as high as 3rd place, is at the bottom. Reality check!

Will make for a different council. I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt and see if in a year from now, if they are still deserving of the contempt posted here.

I used to think that Kwame Kenyatta was clueless... and yet despite his political leanings... he's been a voice of reason in the current council. So I'll reserve judgement on the noobs.

Interesting that Gary Brown will be President Pro-Temp of the new council.
    I totally agree with you, Gistok. After the debacle that was the 2005 city election, glimmers of hope are on the horizon. Anyone who can't see that obviously expected miracles to happen today.

Agreed English, on balance it is a move in the right direction. We will soon see what kind of real leader Mr. Pugh is, fear he might not measure up to our expectations, but we can hope. English, what precinct did you work and what was the experience like? any dust-ups among opposing sides?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast