Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Council-by-district cruising to passage

With 84% counted, Prop D is up 72%-28%.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    With 84% counted, Prop D is up 72%-28%.
    Finally, the city does something right!

With 85% reporting in the Council race, the results are as follows. Looks like Pugh will easily win the president's spot. Right now, it looks like Ken Cockrel and Brenda Jones should hang on for reelection, and at least one of Kenyatta and Jo Ann Watson should hang on as well.

Pugh , Charles 73,514 9%
    Brown , Gary 66,896 9%
    Cockrel , Ken [[i) 62,024 8%
    Jenkins , Saunteel 61,999 8%
    Jones , Brenda [[i) 50,616 6%
    Spivey , Andre 49,895 6%
    Tate , James 48,288 6%
    Kenyatta , Kwame [[i) 47,674 6%
    Watson , Jo Ann [[i) 45,322 6%
    Howze , Lisa 40,138 5%

The incumbents have powerful machines -- I worked the polls today for a much lesser-known candidate, and they outnumbered us more than 2 to 1.

And I am THRILLED about Proposal D! I am sure the Charter Commission will definitely take it into count, and by 2013, the shape of city government will be radically different. It's an exciting time to be in Detroit!

I'm glad that we can now vote our council reps by district now. I look forward to the 2013 elections.

Quote Originally Posted by 3420 View Post
    I'm glad that we can now vote our council reps by district now. I look forward to the 2013 elections.
    D'accord. Will be nice to finally that we in SW can "feel the council love."

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    D'accord. Will be nice to finally that we in SW can "feel the council love."
    10$ say's you won't see CBD... I smell a court appeal. Why would you let the only area in detroit with a GROWING population have representation?

d.mcc

I have to interject. You are way off. Council By Districts already passed it's court battle - it's been contested and won the battle. It's now a law which the citizens voted in. You can't appeal that, sorry.

Now, your statement about SW Detroit being the ONLY section of Detroit that is growing is WAY off...

Midtown Detroit is growing by an average of 3% annually - even during the recession. I've seen the demographic data which WSU Center for urban studies compiled.

Downtown is growing and so is New Center.

Let's not forget about Corktown too.

What else am I missing? Please leave your biased, and incorrect image of a "burnt out shell" that Detroit is, to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    What else am I missing? Please leave your biased, and incorrect image of a "burnt out shell" that Detroit is, to yourself.
    I had forgotten about Corktown. And when have I ever said that Detroit is a burnt out shell?

Why am I so wrong to think that the CBD [[which I think is Detroit doing something it should have done long ago) will be attacked, or drawn up in a way that the area's that deserve representation will be limited or divided to negate their overall impact on the policies the city follows?

It's not just a Detroit thing, but I have no reason otherwise to suspect that there will be some serious gerrymandering and creative districting done in the next 4 years running up to the next election.

YAY! We have a former Fox 2 News anchorman for Detroit city council.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    It's not just a Detroit thing, but I have no reason otherwise to suspect that there will be some serious gerrymandering and creative districting done in the next 4 years running up to the next election.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. That was the 1st thing running thru my mind, hearing the results.

this will be mitigated somewhat by a brand new census based on new population distribution and the fact that it is the election commission redrawing the bounds with the inherent tension of council president and executive sitting with the clerk to draw the bounds.

This is bad very bad. A corrupt ward system is coming to Detroit.

nobody's corrupt with the status quo...mmm...let's see...Monica, Kay, Alonzo...

I can't be happier! There are many vital areas left in this city and we will all be watching district alignments closely.

Of course, we will see an influx of carpet baggers. But in a district setting we will at least know who has been active and who is a fraud.

mrrichard Guest

Danny, it's not 1920 anymore. It's not Chicago either
    It's not corrupt until people who get elected are corrupt or become corrupt.
    Give it a try, nothing else seems to have worked.

I think a ward system will help the different parts of Detroit develop independently at their own pace. Some fast, some slow. Hamtramck and Delray have a lot in common. Both were settled by similiar Europeans with strong values. Both were in heavy industrial areas. Hamtramck was able to control its destiny because it helds its own political strings. Delray was turned into the lower intestine of Detroit. A Ward system might help prevent that.