Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Term Limits for Detroit City Council?

Has it ever been suggested,or put to the voters,that there be term limits for the city council?
    I'm watching poll results and it looks like the council by district proposal is going to pass so why not term limits on the positions?
    Thoughts??

On one hand, it'd put a limit on the time the crazies or crooks could spend in office, but the flip side, of course, is that it's so rare to get a great council member ...
    I mean, would you really want to force someone like Mahaffey out for someone like Martha Reeves? [[Or was that Martha-Rose Reeves? Or Martha Rose-Reeves?)

The recurring thought that keeps creeping into my mind is that we have term limits. Don't like the guy? Vote him out.

Now I may be a bit jaded, in as much as I was just re-elected to another term as city councilman in the little Washington state town I live in.....

"The recurring thought that keeps creeping into my mind is that we have term limits. Don't like the guy? Vote him out"

I've two words to say to that: Kwame Kilpatrick
    Congrats on your election victory.

With 68% of precincts in, by the way, Proposal D is up 72% to 28%.

I agree with notimpressed. Term limits are a cop out for citizens who don't participate in the voting process. If you want change, research your candidates and vote.

The term limits for city council is... There is NO term limits for city council just as no term limits for Detroit city mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by notimpressed View Post
    If people would research the candidates and act accordingly on that research, term limits would not be required or even desirable.

Michigan has developed some real governmental problems at the state level, in part, due to term limits. It gets rid of the good with the bad and as result, you have a house full of rookies making a mess of things. As much as I am glad Granholm can't run again, I truly believe if she could and did, she would be stomped into the ground.

One other thing, why give lifetime benefits to more people than you have to?
    I agree with that first statement. Let's face it, you can't legislate your way into a smart vote. It's not a matter of a poor voting system, it's a matter of poor voting choices.

Term limits,at any level of government, are a sop to those citizens who don't vote.Don't like someone's performance?Help to vote them out.Don't just sit back and complain.

I favor a two term limit for all elected offices at all levels of government. It's supposed to be a chance to serve, not a career.

As to 'don't like 'em, vote 'em out' ? Nice in theory, but it doesn't work in real life. Too many knotheads vote for the incumbant [[ good or bad ) based solely on name recognition, nothing else.

Term limits for all elected politicians!

Term limits are a wonderful idea - just look at the Michigan Legislature and how well they've performed since term limits were enacted.

The state budget is balanced every year through honest, vigorous debate.

Michigan is on a sound economic footing that just keeps getting better and better.

How can anyone possibly be opposed to term limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I favor a two term limit for all elected offices at all levels of government. It's supposed to be a chance to serve, not a career.

As to 'don't like 'em, vote 'em out' ? Nice in theory, but it doesn't work in real life. Too many knotheads vote for the incumbant [[ good or bad ) based solely on name recognition, nothing else.
    I agree with you and Kielson.

Thanks Fnemecek. I needed a good laugh today