Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bob Corker R Tenn pleading for plant in state

Pay backs are lovely. Corker is now whining that GM may close their plant in Tennessee. He calls it politically motivated. Duh... of course it is. If I were GM I would want to operate in states that appreciate employers who provided good jobs, good product with a positive political climate. Sorry for the employees there who might lose their jobs but then no one cried for us as we bled jobs and bennefits. Hope Bob loses his job for trashing American car manufacturers!

Marketing 101 never lose sight of your core consumer base.

Outside of the "rust belt" few care about the survival of the Big Three. It is obvious that all three need to downsize. If I were them, I would relocate plants back to this "Rust Belt". If they re-centralized back here, they would be rewarding the customers that stayed loyal through thick and thin. Give us the jobs and we will proudly build and buy the product.

We've been getting the brunt of the downsizing up here for quite some time. Idled plants, lost shifts, empty complexes, and shuttered factories. Right now, I don't feel sorry for Corker and his Washington cronies at all.

Welcome to the pain.

Hey Bob, what goes around comes around. You wanted to screw us remember?
    Better buy some Preparation H cause you're gonna need it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Pay backs are lovely. Corker is now whining that GM may close their plant in Tennessee. He calls it politically motivated. Duh... of course it is.
    If GM is basing plant closing on anything other than what's in GM's best interest for survival they're in worse shape than I thought they where.

Lansing has a newer plant that produces vehicles on the same platform that are produced at the Tennessee plant. Since the Michigan plant is a lot closer to suppliers it only makes sense to close the Tenn. plant.

I wouldn't take much glee in plant closings regardless of where they are.
    Before you jump for joy, it's the workers who suffer, not Corker.

Read my post! No glee from me. No tears either. The only person I ill wish is Corker. I truely hope that he loses his seat in Congress over his rejection of the importance of the American Automotive Industries.

It's hard to picture but as a born and raised in Detroit [[still here) the Big Three are like family. They need to come home to re-energize.

I'm with you, Sumas. As a currently unemployed automotive related worker, I wish no ill on the working stiff, busting their bones and flesh on the line. My gripe is the politicians that only care about the next election cycle for votes, to keep them in the lifestyle that they have become accustomed to.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-10-09 at 08:20 PM.

Lorax Guest

Senators Corker and Shelden both of southern states, both with Japanese car plants, were more than willing to let the American car companies go bellly-up, since they have become traitors to their own country by scabbing for the non-union Japanese factories in their own states.

Payback's a bitch, eh? They both will feel it come re-election time. I was watching them both interviewed over the last few month, and they were the cheerleaders for letting GM, Ford, and Chrysler go bankrupt.

Just another pair of slimy politicians doing the bidding of their Japanese masters.

What the'yre too stupid to realize, is that this crisis effects even foreign automakers, and their underpaid workers are feeling the hurt even more than their unionized brothers up north.

If anything, the UAW needs to see this as an opportunity to madate unionization of southern states in exchange for any further reductions/concessions from workers up north.

Default GM Lambda Platform

The GM Lamda platform is indeed capable of taking it's newest project [[Traverse) and installing it on the same line with the others [[Lansing Delta)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Lambda_platform

I've been saying this all along that if Bob Croaker keeps up his opposition that GM will pull out of his state. Thing is the Springhill plant was a Saturn plant until GM built the new lambda platform assembly line there [[finished almost a year ago) to give them something to build.

I'm however going to say Delta can't do what Springhill does.

My best guess would be that Delta might stand down for a few months to six and reapportion the line in order to get the Chevrolet into the Saturn [[Outlook) Buick [[Enclave) GMC [[Acadia) with their Traverse. Would be almost a no brainer but that would force Delta into overtime and we all know what that means.

Angry Dad Guest

You know the climate that has led to all this boils down to how corporations play states against states for "incentives" to locate businesses.

How many sitting elected representatives will speak about how they "created jobs" when all they really did was use tax dollars to steal from another state?

Whatever happened to "United we stand, divided we fall"?

Guess it doesn't matter to anybody that seeks success via the ballot box.