Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroiters, Vote for Alberta Tinsley-Talabi

DISCLAIMER: More than a decade ago I was a legislative analyst for Alberta Tinsley-Talabi. She has consistently been respectful to both citizens and non-citizens, business owners, etc who have come before Council. And, she has aIways carefully deliberated on legislative decisions without being confrontational.

Please remember Alberta Tinsley-Talabi today when you go to the polls. She is a level-headed and accomplished incumbent that we should consider. She has been a legislative leader on the City Council for the past 16 years and a community leader and servant since she was a teenager. Voting for Alberta is voting for someone we already know gets the job done. There are some who think that we should throw out all of the old and start new, but certainly in our own experiences in any organizations, we all know firsthand that a healthy and committed mix of both old and new makes for a vibrant and progressive, yet stable and informed organization.

A Brief List of Councilmember Tinsley-Talabi' s Recent Legislative Accomplishments includes:
    • Created the Show Cause Hearings Division dedicated to closing party stores, bars, adult businesses and other businesses not adhering to city ordinances
    • Created the Office of Targeted Business Development designed to increase city procurement with small businesses as a way to create more jobs in the city
    • As a member of the Police & Fire Pension Board, created a Detroit investment fund investing tens of millions of dollars in the City of Detroit creating new jobs
    • Successfully lobbied her colleagues for increasing funds for recreational activities and after school programs
    • Successfully lobbied her colleagues for increasing funds for summer youth employment
    • Successfully led the charge to increase the funding for dead tree removal [[using grant funds) to prevent our children from being hurt and our homes and cars from being damaged -- especially since the high insurance rates often prevent citizens from affording homeowners' or auto insurance.
    Alberta is also currently developing an ordinance to require banks and mortgage companies to properly maintain foreclosed property. They have received billions in federal bail-out money and must do the right thing to help protect our neighborhoods

Councilmember Tinsley-Talabi' s Community Leadership Accomplishments include:

• Established the Partnership For A Drug Free Detroit to provide city funding for substance abuse treatment and education.
    • Launched the first successful campaign to remove alcohol and tobacco billboards targeting inner cities across the country!
    • Created the Buddies in Business program to encourage entreprenureship in our youth so that we're not just insuring that our young people can receive a check, but can issue one as well.

Councilmember Tinsley-Talabi doesn't go around boasting about her accomplishments which, unfortunately, has placed her in a precarious position during this election cycle according to some polls. Please consider her when you vote today and encourage others to do the same.

For more information about Councilmember Alberta Tinsley-Talabi, go to www.alberta4detroit .com.

Attachment 3728

Alberta always open to new ideas.

Guess she didn't stop the Colt 45 billboards.
    Last edited by East Detroit; November-03-09 at 07:03 AM.

Hellllllll NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nomoreincumbents.org

Next best thing to a revolution no more incumbants

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Attachment 3728

Alberta always open to new ideas.

Guess she didn't stop the Colt 45 billboards.
    I think she does a good job on 30 Rock

Attachment 3729

bartock Guest

He should not get re-elected.

Of Course Alberta Tinsley-Talabi will win her seat for city council. She got this election campaign in the bag.

It has never made sense to throw out the whole barrel just because of two or three or four [[or five, depending on whom you ask) bad apples way at the bottom of the barrel. And it has never made sense to have an entire team made up of rookies. The "clean sweep" philosophy regarding City Council is simply not a viable plan for success at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    It has never made sense to throw out the whole barrel just because of two or three or four [[or five, depending on whom you ask) bad apples way at the bottom of the barrel. And it has never made sense to have an entire team made up of rookies. The "clean sweep" philosophy regarding City Council is simply not a viable plan for success at all.
    Possibly because this city council in it's entirety has been horrible when it comes to addressing the needs of the average citizen?

What this Alberta Tinsley-Talabi INFOMERCIAL has neglected to mention is that this councilperson is who got the Cobo Hall deal mucked up and nearly defeated.

She voted YES at first, and then waffled on her decision [[probably succumbed to lobbying pressure) and reversed her decision to a NO later...

Detroit needs councilpeople with BACKBONES... not wallflowers that will back down at the slightest breeze [[political pressure).

No to Alberta!

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Possibly because this city council in it's entirety has been horrible when it comes to addressing the needs of the average citizen?
    I guess that means that we should have replaced ALL 535 members of the U.S. Congress during the "W" years too, since clearly there was not one member in the whole bunch who thought any of President Bush's policies were wrong and moving the country in the wrong direction.

mam2009, The U.S. Congress has nothing to do with Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    What this Alberta Tinsley-Talabi INFOMERCIAL has neglected to mention is that this councilperson is who got the Cobo Hall deal mucked up and nearly defeated.

She voted YES at first, and then waffled on her decision [[probably succumbed to lobbying pressure) and reversed her decision to a NO later...

Detroit needs councilpeople with BACKBONES... not wallflowers that will back down at the slightest breeze [[political pressure).

No to Alberta!
    From michigancitizen.com

"Regarding the Cobo Hall Authority vote, Talabi says she ultimately voted for it because ownership, in the second version of the deal, stayed in the hands of Detroit. She also says that the amended Cobo deal protects Detroit workers.

Talabi adds that a regional strategy could also work to relieve the general fund of the $80 million it pays into public transportation in Detroit yearly."

Since you called this an infomercial, I will gladly inform you of what really happened. If you recall, the original Mayor Cockrel version required the Council to vote no according to the state legislation by a certain date or else the Cockrel version would just go through in its then-current form. Councilmember Tinsley-Talabi felt like the Council was being rushed [[by another loud Councilmember with a political agenda to try to win back votes) to make a decision because the deadline for making a decision had not arrived and she had yet to receive answers to some very critical questions regarding the numbers involved. She voted "yes" initially because she didn't want to pre-maturely kill the Cobo deal without having gotten all the information [[something that a rational and prudent legislator should always do). She even said this in a statement to the press. If I can find it, I'll post that too in case you doubt my facts. But, of course, they don't always print what you want them to print. They only have so much space for their stories. Her concern has always been ownership, the dollars and the Detroit jobs. Period.

Now, if you disagree with her position, that's fine. But she has never wavered and she has always been consistent.

Re-elect no one.

Just over three hours left to vote, Detroit. If you're still on the fence, please consider Alberta Tinsley-Talabi. She has not let us down and she's already demonstrated that she's not afraid to make the difficult decisions necessary to move us forward. Pick wisely when choosing who else is on the City Council too.

My ideal Council has the following candidates on it:
    Alberta Tinsley-Talabi
    Kwame Kenyatta
    Ken Cockrel, Jr.
    Andre Spivey
    David Cross
    Lisa Howze

Good luck to them all!

The agenda driven Michigan Citizen is not exactly on the first rung of professional journalism...although for entertainment sake, it is way up there. My favorite headline of that anti-Archer/anti-Hendrix/pro-Kilpatrick paper was this beauty from a few years back....

"DENNIS ARCHER JR. GETS $25 MILLION GM CONTRACT/GM LAYS OFF 25,000!"

I guess we'll know shortly who the council winners are...

I'm not a Detroit [[or MI) voter but since this a political thread inviting comment, here's mine.

The fact that she voted against the original Cobo deal because the City would not retain ownership [[it's a liability, not an asset) disqualifies her from ever using ink.

The fact that as a result of the proponent's smoke and mirrors restructuring of the deal to permit the City to maintain naked title to the thing, and she went for it, shows me she shouldn't ever be able to vote on anything, anywhere, except maybe for dogcatcher.

But, Detroiters will probably reelect her.

Gistok, you are too kind. The Michigan Citizen gives the bottom of birdcages a bad name.

AT&T, is not the worst on City Council, but she has enabled the worse to thrive and spread their looney visions of how the world works. She is emblamatic of poor performance being rewarded through name recognition.

Michigan Citizen editorials are one thing, but the basic reporting of facts is as ok as the mainstream papers, people. But since you're attacking the source, I'll give you something a little more mainstream. Again, my point was to counter Gistok's post claiming that Alberta "waffled" and the implication that she doesn't have a "backbone". From the Detroit News..

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090228/METRO/902280379

Members didn't have to approve the deal, but had to pass a resolution against it by March 6. Tinsley-Talabi said enough details weren't worked out on the deal prior to the vote, including the effect of taking future Cobo parking revenues from the city and negotiations with the Ilitch family on whether the expansion will include Cobo Arena, which they now lease.

And she said any deal must have some preferences for Detroit-base business to earn her support. She said suburban leaders, such as Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson, who oppose Detroit preferences, have to recognize the millions Detroiters have invested in the facility and they have to recognize the millions they have benefited from the auto show.

"We have to make sure there are opportunities in the one place there are opportunities," Tinsley-Talabi said of job preferences. "Everybody has to eat."

I can guarantee that in four years, you all will be saying the same things about the Council again because you don't get ALL the information you need if you rely purely on the media for your information. Unless you're watching the Council yourself or taking the time to call their offices to talk with them or their staff about how they voted, you will not see the nuances that go into every vote. You'll continue to hear someone else's commentary and run with it thinking that all Detroit elected officials are ignorant and/or incompetent.
    Last edited by mam2009; November-03-09 at 09:54 PM.

Actually, I give some of you too much credit. I'm sure the hate will start to flow for the new Council around month three or so -- about the same amount of time it took for Mayor Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Gistok, you are too kind. The Michigan Citizen gives the bottom of birdcages a bad name.

AT&T, is not the worst on City Council, but she has enabled the worse to thrive and spread their looney visions of how the world works. She is emblamatic of poor performance being rewarded through name recognition.
    How has she allowed the worse to thrive? What was she supposed to do when someone else started berating another Council Member at the table? Slap them? Spank them? There is a such thing as Robert's Rules of Order and its takes a majority vote for most things to happen. She voted to censure Monica. What would you expect her to do about fully grown adults behaving badly? I'm sure she didn't vote for Monica unlike thousands of other Detroiters did.

With 85% of precincts in, it would appear that AT-T is the ONLY incumbent City Council member up for re-election who is NOT going to make the cut.

buildingsofdetroit,

I am not sure I agree with your analysis. The 7-9 spots right now are as follows:

Tate, James - 48,288 - 6%
    Kenyatta, Kwame - 47,674 - 6%
    Watson, Jo Ann - 45,322 6%

In order for all the other incumbents to win, Kenyatta and Watson would have to both leapfrog Tate. It could happen, but with so low turnout and so late in the night, the almost 3,000 vote gap between Watson and Tate remains pretty significant. I do not think they will both make it.

So far[[with 98% reporting)it doesn't look like Mrs.Talabi is going back to council.

Cman,
    9 members make Council not 7....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast