Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default South End Newspaper

Is the South End still published down at Wayne State?
    You used to see them stir up stuff every so often but now it's like it disappeared.
    I was on the staff when Horace Brown was roaming the streets of Detroit shooting cops in the early 70's. There used to be a lot of co-mingling of people with the Free Press back then to.
    One of the advisors back then had won a Pulitzer for covering the riots. The paper had a radical background and it was hard to contact and get interviews with professional people on campus back then.
    At least they got some recognition back in the day Tom Schram was the editor then.

Whatever its ups and downs, the value of The South End was that it was a daily, and it forced the students working there to adapt to a rigorous schedule. It was also a good place for aspiring journalists to get their bigger mistakes and egregious blunders out of the way before getting a job in the field. But ultimately, the product was the sum total of the talents of those working there, for better or for much, much worse. Some years were better than others, content-wise.

It shifted to being a weekly in the past decade. That might have something to do with not hearing much from them nowadays.

I was a columnist back in 2005, that was the last year it was a daily. After the 2005 school year it became a weekly. The enthusiasm for the paper isn't what it was with the Pub. board and it's too bad, I had a blast being a part of that paper. The office had a great vibe when it was all of us in there working really late. We got a lot of mail in those days and a lot of perks, coming from a Community College paper I thought it was like the Big Leagues! I wont be surprised if the South End isn't ended soon. Just like the WSU radio station that they don't have...it's really pathetic

I remember reading the South End in the 1980's.

I was a student. They had a poetry page on Friday, and I would write a poem on Monday, send it to them on Wed, see it in print on Friday. That was pretty cool!

If they really liked it, they did some quick photography and I'd see the poem published with pictures! Rock on!

I guess no Pulitzers were handed out for that stuff huh? ... guess we were into the fluff years and I was part of the fluff.

I even remember one poem because is rimed. For your edification and education. I even annotated it on the right.

An hour before dawn I walked near Wayne <---I arrived at 6 am some mornings
    past 30 stories of Window pane <--- I parked by the old Burroughs headquarts by 4th street
    Past Victorian houses of luminous paint <--old hippies loved painting their house details in day glo
    Porches sagging on wooden restrants <-- could use some better maintenance.
    A cat mauled a mouse, killing is slow
    Desiring the chase more than the foe <--darn cats, just kill the damn thing
    And steam from sewers, white and damp <--that pesky edison steam coming out the man holes
    Writhed in the streets of the burning lamp <- par boil your ankles if you don't watch out
    The lamp which cast 4 shadows of me
    Forcing my thoughts to what will I be?

<--Darn indecisive students. I chose to be a broken old wreck who impotently posts stuff on electronic bulletin boards
    Last edited by RickBeall; November-01-09 at 12:12 PM.

They did break the story that the Kwamster had moved into the Park Shelton temporarily. I still pick it up when I'm in the area.

Ravine Guest

I remember no Horace Brown

Before it was the South End it was the Wayne Collegian. My father and mother met while working on the paper, so I owe my existence to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I think he meant Hayward Brown.

I thought I had an old copy of the South End but it turned out to be the March14, 1968 Metro "by and for Detroit area students" with editors for each of SE Michigan's colleges. I wonder if there wasn't some relationship between the Metro and the South End because I remember the South End starting up about then. Both had a hippy tone to them as opposed to the more staid daily Wayne State paper.

The South End is now online, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that.

Yes, it was Haywood Brown.
    The police had such bad reps back then that old Haywood became a hero to many. I always thought he was just a street thug who tried to use the media to his advantage.
    Kind of reminds me of guys who have rap sheets but want to take back the city for the citizens.

I graduated from WSU in 1979, and enjoyed reading the paper. One issue I still remember. On page 1, someone from the engineering school detailed how the school was going to build a glass dome over the entire campus so everyone wouldn't be rained on or have to trudge through the snow. After discussing it for I think a few weeks, and having many letters to the editors asking for more information,etc., they finally came out and said it was a hoax. Just comes to prove that it was quite widely read. Always picked mine up from the steps going into the student center.

I miss the "Chuckle of the Day".

Wasn't that started by the South End?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Was that the same as H. Rap Brown?

Hey folks--you can find the WSU paper online these days. You can also see reporters covering sporting events and other things on campus.

http://www.thesouthendnews.com/

I found this nice little debate about urban farming this morning on the south end online
    http://www.thesouthendnews.com/urban...help-1.2047394

Twas the first publication to print my pictures.
    The best part of my first year there was this:

A week after I was hired, the entire staff moved to another building. "They'll have your darkroom ready in a couple weeks" I was told.
    A couple weeks turned into the entire school year occupying a huge old house in the middle of WSU Campus [[where the Engineering Bldg is now). I moved in pretty quickly.
    Free rent, free heat, 2500 square feet. Eventually, there were two, then three of us on photo staff.
    We would sit on the upper balcony sipping coffee and smoking clove cigarettes, and have loud obnoxious parties every couple of months.

The oddest thing was the ongoing tension with the Journalism Dept, whose instructors would denounce the papers independence. This resulted in some good publication years, and some abysmal ones, but it was a great opportunity.

Not surprised that they cut to weekly publication, it was hard enough to get students to pick up a newspaper in the eighties, let alone now.

Chitaku my wife wrote for the South End back in 2005.She wrote the cheeky love column; was culture and then news editor.

Terry, what's your wife's first name?

Her name Nancy. Shes from Dearborn......