Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Gill Hill

Default Gill Hill

does anyone know if Gill Hill is still living or not? i haven't heard too much about him since the 2001 mayoral election.

Gil Hill is alive.

Hey Ed, Unrelated to this thread. Thanks for the collection of Soupy memorabilia you loaned to the Historical Museum for the display they opened up for him. I haven't seen it yet but I plan on going on my next trip to the Cultural Center. It'll be great to see my childhood heroes in the flesh/fur/cloth.

eno,
    Thanks! I'm honored to lend my Soupy stuff again to the museum.

I've got a funny Gil Hill story. A couple of years after he appeared in Beverly Hills Cop, Hill was invited to speak at the high school that I work at. The counselor, who was up there in age and probably shouldn't have been counseling anybody, introduced her special guest in the following way.

"I would like to introduce Mr. Gil Hill. Of course you all remember him from the TV show "The Beverly Hillbillies."

Quote Originally Posted by Cellus View Post
    does anyone know if Gill Hill is still living or not? i haven't heard too much about him since the 2001 mayoral election.
    No, he died at the beginning of Beverly Hills Cop III. Remember?

BHC III was totally forgettable. Never should have been made. For that matter, II was wacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    BHC III was totally forgettable. Never should have been made. For that matter, II was wacky.
    I have very bad news for you:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910842/

He works concessions at Comerica Park selling pop and ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by YouDummy View Post
    I have very bad news for you:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910842/
    That's fine, I have no problem with that. But please, NO MORE STAR WARS MOVIES!

For a time he and some pals owned a sound studio on the eastside named the Cadieux Stages. It was an old deco, moderne kind of place and Gil and Company thought that he could parlay his screen role into a going moviemaking concern.

He decorated the place in real classy red flocked and shag carpeting. Upstair he built what he planned would be a hair salon, so women could get their weaves gone and watch movies being made, connected to the hair salon was going to be a fine dinning establishment as well.

He also ran a limo service out of the place, which really was just dope delivery on wheels. He did all that while finishing his cop career and starting his Council life.

Gil Hill story: when I worked at WQBH in the late 80's/early 90's, he would drop in from time to time to be a guest on one of our talk shows. He always seemed to be a great guy. One time, he was wearing his BHC jacket and I was wearing a Janet Jackson tour jacket and he asked if I wanted to trade him. Seems he was a huge Janet fan. I didn't bite but maybe I should have.

They totally screwed up the BHC franchise with the third one. First, they killed off Hill. Second, it wasn't shot in Detroit at all, and third, they should have had the BH cops come to Detroit to help Axel Foley instead of the other way around.

Holding out hope for the fourth one, but I doubt it will even happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Gil Hill story: when I worked at WQBH in the late 80's/early 90's, he would drop in from time to time to be a guest on one of our talk shows. He always seemed to be a great guy. One time, he was wearing his BHC jacket and I was wearing a Janet Jackson tour jacket and he asked if I wanted to trade him. Seems he was a huge Janet fan. I didn't bite but maybe I should have.

They totally screwed up the BHC franchise with the third one. First, they killed off Hill. Second, it wasn't shot in Detroit at all, and third, they should have had the BH cops come to Detroit to help Axel Foley instead of the other way around.

Holding out hope for the fourth one, but I doubt it will even happen.
    Heres your hope. Should be released this summer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24880042/