Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is a Jungaleer?

I'm reading the prep football playoff results in the Freep and they have an article about Detroit's Southeastern victory. The paper refered to the great play of the Jungaleers over the visting John Glenn Rockets from Westland.

Now, the name Rockets makes sense to me. John Glenn, first American to obit the earth rode a rocket to accomplish that feat, I've even seen rockets but I don't think I've ever seen a jungaleer.

So, what is a Jungaleer and what do they have to do with Detroit? Sorry if this is a noobish question.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009103...-blank-Rockets

You mean why did they name the team that way? No idea. The only similar reference I've ever heard is far less than favorable.

Maybe from Jungleer, a military unit that fights in the jungle.

When Southeastern High School in Detroit was built in 1915, it was said to be out in the "jungle," apparently the area hadn't been developed much. Hence: "Jungaleer." What a cool nickname.

Default Southeastern HS

Southeastern HS is an architecturally beautiful building. It was renovated extensively in 2005.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    When Southeastern High School in Detroit was built in 1915, it was said to be out in the "jungle," apparently the area hadn't been developed much. Hence: "Jungaleer." What a cool nickname.
    That is correct Hardhat. I am a proud SE alumni.
    Last edited by Buy American; November-01-09 at 09:18 AM.

My grandfather graduated a Jungaleer in 1929.

When my grandmother went there in the early '20s [[didn't graduate because she married and had my father!) much of the area was still undeveloped and swampy then. From their house on Eastlawn near Vernor they could stand on the back porch and see the interurban cars running on Jefferson. The sad irony is that the area is now pretty quickly returning to a similar empty state.

Congratulations to the Jungaleers on their playoff win. DPS PSL teams have a real struggle just to get on the field and play.

And I thought this was gonna turn into a bad racial joke

Attachment 3725

Here is a map from the old forum and our map wizard, MikeM. There was a place called the Village of Fairview, from Model D
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/fairview17008.aspx

Fairview is a city that once sat between the city of Detroit and Grosse Pointe Park, right on the river. It was incorporated and annexed so quickly that even longtime East Side residents have never heard of it, but from 1903 to 1907, Fairview was a legitimate municipality. Some may question why Sinacori honors what many would consider a footnote in the region's history. It's his way of making a point about the importanceunderstanding how our region developed, and more specifically the pivotal role the area played in the history of the automotive industry

The first mention of Fairview came in 1896, when the Fairview Land Company was formed. At the turn the century the land was essentially 900 acres of marsh, but would be valuable if developed. Fairview's borders were Bewick to the west and Cadieux to the east, Mack to the north and the Detroit River on the south. The municipality was officially incorporated in 1903, and at the time it satisfied the interests of businessmen in the area looking to control land for a road connecting Detroit to Grosse Pointe Farms.
    The name Fairview lives on in that the home of our brave fighting Jungaleers is located on Fairview Street.

Another intersting bit of info, the first Negro League teams played at a park called Mack Park, which inturn became Southeastern Field.

In Detroit it was often the custom for graduating classes to make a gift to their high school. Southeastern HS has at least one, perhaps two, Pewabic tile drinking fountains that were given to the school by graduating seniors.

There are a few cool evocative high school nicknames over here on the eastside, Finney Highlanders, Denby Tars, and, of course, Pershing Doughboys.

Does anyone know what a Jungaleer might look like? I mean a doughboy looks like a doughboy, a Highlander is a Highlander and a Tar is a salty sailor, but what is the face of a Jungaleer?

Like Jjaba, I avoid the eastside, so my knowledge of the school is nil. At pep ralleys they must cart out banners and whatnot ...

Speaking of evocative nicknames on the east side, let's not leave out the King Crusaders.

There was a rather long thread on this subject a couple months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Does anyone know what a Jungaleer might look like? I mean a doughboy looks like a doughboy, a Highlander is a Highlander and a Tar is a salty sailor, but what is the face of a Jungaleer?
    It looks like a Lion is used for their logo:
    http://www.prepsportswear.com/produc...&productid=648

It seems that the same nickname was also in use for the Detroit Tigers at about the time the school was built:
    http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...6F9C946096D6CF

EastsideAl, wow, great finds. I couldn't find anything that showed a pic of a Jungaleer.

I enjoyed that 1911 NYTimes article. Some great writing and I found it interesting the writer recounts the introduction of posting the scores from other games around the league. A real "You Are There" kind of thing.

So, the word Jungaleer was in the lexicon of the time as a stand-in for a jungle cat. I find it strange that the cat depicted on the Southeastern shirt is a lion while the news article referred to the Detroit Tigers as Jungaleers. I always thought that lions were from Africa while tigers are from Asia. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    There are a few cool evocative high school nicknames over here on the eastside, Finney Highlanders, Denby Tars, and, of course, Pershing Doughboys.
    Dont forget
    Cass Technicians
    Miller Trojans
    Eastern Indians, my moms Alma Matter [[School colors were Black and Orange, the new Eastern became the King Crusaders, and changed their colors to Black and Gold in 1968)
    Northeastern Falcons
    Kettering Pioneers
    Osborn Knights

West Side
    [[Early 20th Century)

Central Trailblazers
    Western Cowboys
    Southwestern Prospectors
    Northwestern Colts

[[Roaring 20's through the Depression)

Mackenzie Stags
    Cooley Cardinals
    Chadsey Explorers [[School opened on Columbus Day in 1931)

[[Post WWII)

Cody Comets
    Mumford Mustangs
    Henry Ford Trojans

[[Early 80's)
    Rennaisance Phoenix
    Last edited by scribe114; November-03-09 at 10:32 AM.

Very good history here. Thanks.
    Although jjaba doesn't go on the Eastside, he sure does like to read about foreign cultures.

jjaba, Proudly Westside, Proudly Cass Tech. '59.