Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default November 3rd elections

In less than 3 days, we go to the polls to cast our votes for Mayor, City Clerk, City Council, Charter Commission and Detroit School Board. I have traversed across the 140 square miles of the city of Detroit, attending various forums, home meetings, brunches, discussions over coffee, luncheons, meet and greets and interviews. Many of us have communicated with you through emails, Facebook, Twitter, radio, television, and in some cases, just standing on the corner to greet you as you pass. On November 3rd, you will tell us if you believe our platform, trust our judgment and have confidence in our ability to help strengthen Detroit city government.

Since my last communication, I have gathered the endorsement of the Detroit Green Slate, the Teamsters, and Mayor Dave Bing. I've also earned the continued support of the Detroit Free Press, Making Detroit Better, the Retired Detroit Police & Fire Fighters Association, Michigan Spanish Speaking Democrats, Detroit Regional Chamber, Lieutenants & Sergeants Association, the Detroit Police Officers' Association, and many, many more.

I hope that I have satisfactorily informed you on the Charter, the Charter Commission and my personal opinions on the benefits of Charter change. I've tried to make it clear that I support stronger ethics provisions, a revised succession process, clear, concise language and council by districts. I have and will continue to openly support Proposal D, with the understanding that it is just the first step of many that Detroit needs to take to ensure fair, equitable representation, accountability and participation for all our residents. But this process only works if you participate by casting your vote on November 3rd. I hope that I have energized you, educated you and convinced you that this is one of the most important elections you could ever participate in. The future of Detroit is at stake here.

After the election, Charter Commission members will represent YOU as they review and revise the charter, thus we hope to see YOU at the community Commission meetings. We need to hear your vision of what the framework of our city government looks like, how it operates, what standards our elected officials shall be held to and what [[if any) qualifications our elected officials should have.

Just recently, the Detroit City Council voted to pay Charter Commission members $50.00 per meeting for up to 90 meetings, down from the $75.00 per meeting that was paid to the 1993-96 Commission, so I know that you recognize that none of us are in this for the money. You have many qualified candidates to choose from for the Charter Commission. I hope that over the past several months, I have convinced you to P.I.C.K. Cara Blount as one of your choices, not only because I'm Professional, Intelligent, Competent, and Knowledgeable, but also, because I'm one of the BEST possible choices you could make.

Yours for a Better Detroit

Cara Best Blount
    __________________________________________________ _________
    We will watch election returns at Harry's, Clifford & I-375 where we will celebrate all the small victories that occur in Detroit that night: a new, deliberative council, a brand new charter commission with high hopes, a returning city clerk, a full time mayor, a hopeful school board, decisions on three proposals and, because of [[or in spite of) these things, possibly, a new Detroit!

Cara

The Professor watched the interviews on channel 56, but would like to review what he heard and saw. Unfortunately, your Prof only has dial up internet, and can't review the videos online. [[You try.)

Has anyone come up with a transcript, at least of the Bing and Barrow interviews? If so please share and your kindly old Prof will be properly grateful.

DetroitDad Guest

bump!!!!!!

Cara...Good Luck to both you and Gary Brown. With you on the Charter Commission and Mr. Brown on Council, maybe some positive steps will be taken.

Thank you 65 and I'll pass your good wishes on to Gary! 35 hours until the polls close and the results come trickling in ... 1 day, 11 hours, 17minutes and 16 seconds until Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 8:01:00 PM [[Detroit time). But who's counting????? :-)