Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cops Say "Too much crime? Move out"

Not Detroit this time though.

Crime-weary Ohioans say cops tell them to move out
    Oct 30 11:09 PM US/Eastern

COLUMBUS, Ohio [[AP) - Residents of Ohio's capital city are complaining that police officers are telling them to move out if they're fed up with neighborhood crime.

At least two Columbus city council members have heard the complaint.

An aide to Councilwoman Charleta Tavares says she has received more than 20 calls. Councilman Andrew Ginther says if police are making the comments, they're neither acceptable nor appropriate, though he says he believes most officers want to be helpful.

A police spokesman says the department addresses the complaints when it's given the name of an officer.

A police union official says he understands if officers are frustrated with crime. Fraternal Order of Police President Jim Gilbert says: "It's like the OK Corral out there."

___

Information from: The Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...cle=1&catnum=9

ccbatson Guest

Anecdotal...what are the facts behind this?

I believe the police are masters at probability scoring.

They want the law-abiding taxpayers to move out, so the ONLY people they have to deal with are lunk-headed criminals...then they can NEVER again be chastised for treating good individuals as if they were bad.

Pretty simple, it seems.

Like the time I got an Allen Park cop to admit he was treating me poorly because 'most of the people he meets at 4am are no good, looking for trouble'.

Uh-huh. Justifiable. Even SuperSport has taken to using statistics and dogma to employ the harsh hand of individual-justice once and again...

ccbatson Guest

Do you know any police officers? They don't want more crime...it puts their lives at risk.

I remember a major city in Ohio had so much public opposition resulting from accusations of police abuse, that the cops started feeling the criminals had more support than they did and started saying screw it, we'll drive by it. Was that Columbus? Is that the history here?

I once had a police officer moonlighting for me. He seemed well-enough off not to need the money, and worked the night shift first then came to work for me. Out of curiosity I once asked him why he had a second job even when he seemingly didn't need it. His response was instructive.

He said, "I've worked the night shift for as long as I've been on the force, and the people you run into during that shift are scumbags, mostly. And I noticed that after a while I just assumed everybody was a scumbag and treated them accordingly--friends, neighbors, everybody. So I took a day job, and have had a day job ever since, just so I can interact with normal folks on a daily basis and not slip back into that mindset that everybody is a scumbag."