Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Doan Park - Prest & Orangelawn area

Does anyone have any memories of playing baseball or other sports at Doan Park in the 1950s & 1960s?

I spent many hours at that park [[in the 50's-60's). Although my friends and I called it Prest Park. Mostly we would ride our bikes over, play on the swings and monkey bars. For a summer or two Parks & Recreation had activities there--painting plaster of paris figures, and I did that. One year, they had a decorate your bike and costume contest [[I think it was in the summer) which I won!!!! Don't remember playing organized sports there.

jjaba lived on Sussex also, but up near W. Seven Mile Rd.
    We had Whitcomb Park nearby near W. Outer Drive and Saini Hospital, long gone.

jjaba: let me take this opportunity to welcome you back to this forum. You were missed.
    Now back to our regularly scheduled program:

I remember going to the park lots, and there were kids playing baseball/softball. But they were older, boys, and so I never participated in that. When I was older, my friends would get together and play softball in the playground at George Ford.